The problem with american's prison systems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 09:30 AM
The problem with american's prison systems
The drug war has failed, prisons are over populated by non violent drug offenders, prisons fill their quota or else their government funding gets lowered.

What really pisses me off though is our prison system is based on retribution rather than rehabilitation. It makes perfect sense to me why the recidivism rate in countries like Norway is so much lower. If you treat prisoners like human beings, they see that you're civil and they don't have to have animosity towards you. Of course if you treat prisoners like shit it's just going to make them worse. They're going to just feel justified in their acts, because they're thinking "screw you, I see how bad you treat me, so there's no way in hell I'm going to want to behave civilly in your society". I may be generalizing, but that's my take on it.

I just think that prisoners should be treated like human beings. They committed a crime, okay. There's no reason to EVER treat someone like they're a sub human. There's no natural right or wrong, human beings are simply biological organisms. So we have to treat people according the parts of our human nature associated with good, the empathetic and egalitarian parts.

Our prison system is corrupt, but people like Hilary Clinton still say "we should study Marijuana before we legalize it" No you fucking moron! It's like they're oblivious to the drug war! All that money wasted, all the non violent offenders incarcerated, the drug dealers still making a profit and violence infesting the streets of poor neighborhoods! End the fucking drug war, Hilary! Except no, she's in the pocket of every corporate executive imaginable. It's maddening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mittens Deluxe's post
24-04-2016, 10:28 AM
RE: The problem with american's prison systems
I've known more than a few people who've gone to prison -- and all I can say - is I'm glad as hell we HAVE prisons............

There's a shitload of whacko, violent, dirtbag fuckers out there that NEED locking up...............

No rehabilitation need apply...............

I agree that non-violent druggies shouldn't be locked up with murderers, rapists, kidnappers and other assorted assholes -- but, I do think there's a large percentage of people in prison who belong there - and should NEVER be let out......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-04-2016, 11:48 AM
End the drug war?

Why?

So even more people will get addicted to meth and neglect, abuse, or kill their own kids? So even more people can become junkies and become full blown losers? So even more people can walk around picking scabs on their face, robbing people to buy more drugs?

No. Give anyone caught with drugs life in prison after the 3rd offense. I'm fine with marijuana but fuck the rest of them.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
24-04-2016, 11:56 AM
(24-04-2016 11:48 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  End the drug war?

Why?

So even more people will get addicted to meth and neglect, abuse, or kill their own kids? So even more people can become junkies and become full blown losers? So even more people can walk around picking scabs on their face, robbing people to buy more drugs?

No. Give anyone caught with drugs life in prison after the 3rd offense. I'm fine with marijuana but fuck the rest of them.
I don't think you're being rational.
[+] 5 users Like Mittens Deluxe's post
24-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Why?

Seems like it would just be easier to make child abuse and theft illegal.

If meth was legal, do you think that you would become addicted and kill your children?

Do you think alcohol should be legal?

Why do you think marijuana should be legal?

Personally, I think all drugs should legal for adults. Adults don't need other adults to tell them what drugs they can take, but of course, that's just my opinion.
[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
24-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Whilst citing Norway as a shining example of low recidivism rates, you also need to consider why Anders Behring Breivik, who in 2011 killed 77 people including 14-year-old children, only received a 21 year jail sentence (the maximum available under Norwegian law)—or three months for each life.

Do you seriously think that someone like Breivik can be guaranteed to be totally rehabilitated? At his trial, his declaration that he "would have liked to have killed more people" surely means he should never be released?

Judge Arne Lyng said at the trial, "The thoughts of murder were evidently stimulating for the defendant. This was clear when he talked about decapitating ex-Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland"... "It is hard to imagine", the judgment continues, "that such a term-limited sentence is sufficient to protect this country from this man".

Would you be happy to have Breivik living next door to you, and have him watching your kids go to school every day, or leave your wife alone at night? Or would you be 100% certain that he was satisfactorily and permanently rehabilitated?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-04-2016, 12:15 PM
(24-04-2016 12:01 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Why?

Seems like it would just be easier to make child abuse and theft illegal.

If meth was legal, do you think that you would become addicted and kill your children?

Do you think alcohol should be legal?

Why do you think marijuana should be legal?

Personally, I think all drugs should legal for adults. Adults don't need other adults to tell them what drugs they can take, but of course, that's just my opinion.

The problem is that people on drugs do the most horrible, fucked up things imaginable. Their brains are gone. The children become victims.

This is an all too common scenario that I've seen too many times working in law enforcement.

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/201.../74279166/

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-04-2016, 12:20 PM
(24-04-2016 12:01 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  [...] Personally, I think all drugs should legal for adults. Adults don't need other adults to tell them what drugs they can take, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Seriously?

[Image: Screen-Shot-2015-04-30-at-13.53.14.png]

First image of woman at 19 years of age before her crystal meth addiction;
second image of same woman only three years later at age 22.

I think people do need to advise their friends and acquaintances what drugs to take or not take, and how much and how often. I'm also guessing you don't know a lot about drug addiction, nor have had any friends or family succumb to the hard drugs.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-04-2016, 12:21 PM
(24-04-2016 12:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Whilst citing Norway as a shining example of low recidivism rates, you also need to consider why Anders Behring Breivik, who in 2011 killed 77 people including 14-year-old children, only received a 21 year jail sentence (the maximum available under Norwegian law)—or three months for each life.

Do you seriously think that someone like Breivik can be guaranteed to be totally rehabilitated? At his trial, his declaration that he "would have liked to have killed more people" surely means he should never be released?

Judge Arne Lyng said at the trial, "The thoughts of murder were evidently stimulating for the defendant. This was clear when he talked about decapitating ex-Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland"... "It is hard to imagine", the judgment continues, "that such a term-limited sentence is sufficient to protect this country from this man".

Would you be happy to have Breivik living next door to you, and have him watching your kids go to school every day, or leave your wife alone at night? Or would you be 100% certain that he was satisfactorily and permanently rehabilitated?
Okay, well I was siting Norway for a different reason than their sentence length. I was siting them for their humane and comfortable prison environments.
24-04-2016, 12:24 PM
I got as far in this thread as " prisons fill their quota or else their government funding gets lowered."

Prisons don't decide who goes to prison. They have no say in that. And, given the massive over crowding in prisons, I'm pretty sure there is no quota issue.

Sorry, I can't take seriously any argument that leads with such demonstrable bullshit.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post