The problem with american's prison systems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 01:52 PM
RE: The problem with american's prison systems
"In the study, the IHME identified the top ten risk factors for health loss in 2010 and the number of deaths attributable to each one. Here are the death totals by risk:

Diets 678,282

Smoking 465,651

High Blood Pressure 442,656

High Body Mass Index 363,991

Physical Inactivity 234,022

High Blood Sugar 213,669

High Total Cholesterol 158,431

Ambient Air Pollution 103,027

Alcohol Use 88,587

Drug Use 25,430"

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/07/po...x0jcnkUWM8

If you anti-druggers were consistent, making unhealthy foods illegal would be your first priority.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2016, 01:56 PM
(24-04-2016 01:46 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 12:49 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm pretty sure drugs kill people. Even legal use of them can prove fatal.

What about bacon and cheeseburgers? Do they kill people too? Should we make cheeseburgers illegal?

I never said we should make drugs illegal. I just pointed out it's not true they don't kill people. They do.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-04-2016, 02:02 PM
(24-04-2016 01:56 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 01:46 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  What about bacon and cheeseburgers? Do they kill people too? Should we make cheeseburgers illegal?

I never said we should make drugs illegal. I just pointed out it's not true they don't kill people. They do.

Fair enough. So we're in agreement in that we both prefer that drugs be legal for adults?
24-04-2016, 02:11 PM
I'd prefer they be legalized.

I've never known anyone who was deterred from heroin, say, because it was illegal.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Meth is illegal. How's that working for us? I bet I could go out right now and after a few phone calls find some and buy it with no problem. But I have to show my ID and sign for Zyrtec D - and it's legal!

Drugs being illegal hasn't stopped drug usage. All it does is force the procurement to the underground where there is a chance of violence and also the chance that the substance purchased isn't what it's claimed to be or is cut with other things - like rat poison.

Legalize drugs but make laws to prevent resale which will lead to more dilution of the product with toxic substances in order to have what appears to be a larger quantity. Licensed sellers should be required to be able to prove the quality and purity of what they sell. Licensed sellers generate tax revenue. Make people show ID...if I have to for OTC sinus relief then that's only fair.

If drugs that are primarily recreational are illegal then alcohol should be also.

As for how nuts meth heads get...I don't dispute that. Work behind a bar for a while or in law enforcement to see how nuts a raging drunk can be.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
24-04-2016, 02:54 PM
(24-04-2016 12:25 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  It's not a matter of whether or not I think drugs are safe, I do not advocate the use of drugs.
I'm not quite sure of your stance on this. Firstly you say that all illicit drugs should be decriminalised, and that people should be free to use whatever drugs they choose without any sanctions from other people or the legal system.

But now you say you're not advocating the use of drugs. "Advocating" means supporting or being in favour of, recommending or promoting.

And I find it ludicrous that you see unrestrainedly using illicit drugs in the same light as eating Maccas or drinking Coke. Have you ever known anyone to overdose on hamburgers and soft drinks?

Quote:Not to mention the drug war has FAILED and cost us billions of dollars and not kept drugs out of the hands of people.
Citation please.

Quote:I'd also wager that prescription drugs are just as dangerous, but those are legal.
Uh... yes and yes. What's your point?

Quote:Opiates are killing people and that's an epidemic in America.
Citation please.

Quote:Do you want to ban Pharmaceutical companies too?
I have no idea what you're suggesting here? Pharmaceuticals save—literally—millions of lives every year all across the planet. Prescription drugs were involved in 315 deaths investigated by the Victorian coroner’s court in 2014, according to the International Medicine in Addiction conference in Melbourne last year. This compares with just over 2,025 deaths due to illicit drug overdosing in 2015, putting Australia 7th in the world listing (the US is 3rd with 60,865 deaths).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-04-2016, 02:59 PM
SYZ,

Just curious, would you prefer that alcohol be illegal?
24-04-2016, 03:04 PM
(24-04-2016 02:54 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 12:25 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  It's not a matter of whether or not I think drugs are safe, I do not advocate the use of drugs.
I'm not quite sure of your stance on this. Firstly you say that all illicit drugs should be decriminalised, and that people should be free to use whatever drugs they choose without any sanctions from other people or the legal system.

But now you say you're not advocating the use of drugs. "Advocating" means supporting or being in favour of, recommending or promoting.

And I find it ludicrous that you see unrestrainedly using illicit drugs in the same light as eating Maccas or drinking Coke. Have you ever known anyone to overdose on hamburgers and soft drinks?

Quote:Not to mention the drug war has FAILED and cost us billions of dollars and not kept drugs out of the hands of people.
Citation please.

Quote:I'd also wager that prescription drugs are just as dangerous, but those are legal.
Uh... yes and yes. What's your point?

Quote:Opiates are killing people and that's an epidemic in America.
Citation please.

Quote:Do you want to ban Pharmaceutical companies too?
I have no idea what you're suggesting here? Pharmaceuticals save—literally—millions of lives every year all across the planet. Prescription drugs were involved in 315 deaths investigated by the Victorian coroner’s court in 2014, according to the International Medicine in Addiction conference in Melbourne last year. This compares with just over 2,025 deaths due to illicit drug overdosing in 2015, putting Australia 7th in the world listing (the US is 3rd with 60,865 deaths).
No, I don't advocate the use of drugs. I advocate the use of decriminalizing them, because there's no reason to punish people for doing drugs. I advocate legalization of all drugs, but even you should agree that legalizing marijuana should be a thing, regardless of if you think other drugs should be legal. You can't even over dose on Marijuana. I watched a youtube video of a guy who did 150 dabs of weed, he didn't die and made a video the next day.

Idk if you've heard, but opiate addiction and abuse has been causing deaths, I read this in articles and if you want me to just site these sources as if I have them in a stack of paper right next to me, I'm sorry you're asking me to do too much.

Yes, people do die from eating unhealthy food, that is an undeniable, tremendous epidemic in America. Yet companies are still allowed to exist, like McDonalds and Pepsi. Honestly, I feel like banning these companies would be fine because there probably wouldn't be a criminal underground of people trying to sell you processed garbage if they got banned. It's simply too big of an economic powerhouse to get cut at this point though. I think that we should try to regulate what McDonalds puts in their food, but sadly I don't think we can destroy McDonalds, Coke, Pepsi, etc.
24-04-2016, 03:14 PM
(24-04-2016 03:04 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Yes, people do die from eating unhealthy food, that is an undeniable, tremendous epidemic in America. Yet companies are still allowed to exist, like McDonalds and Pepsi. Honestly, I feel like banning these companies would be fine because there probably wouldn't be a criminal underground of people trying to sell you processed garbage if they got banned. It's simply too big of an economic powerhouse to get cut at this point though. I think that we should try to regulate what McDonalds puts in their food, but sadly I don't think we can destroy McDonalds, Coke, Pepsi, etc.

This sounds like insanity to me. Do you want to ban cake and ice cream too? I'm totally behind forcing companies to properly and accurately label what's in their food, but I don't think we need to ban much of anything. Educate people, and then let them decide for themselves. I know that eating bacon will shorten my life (so will drinking beer), but I enjoy life more eating it (and drinking beer), so I'm willing to trade off.

Do you want to ban fast cars too?
24-04-2016, 03:15 PM
I more or less agree with your stance on drugs so no further comment there.

(24-04-2016 03:04 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Yes, people do die from eating unhealthy food, that is an undeniable, tremendous epidemic in America.

If that is undeniable and tremendous epidemic then surely you won't have trouble with presenting sources backing such view.

(24-04-2016 03:04 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Yet companies are still allowed to exist, like McDonalds and Pepsi.

That's good. Closing such companies would be simply totalitarian.

(24-04-2016 03:04 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Honestly, I feel like banning these companies would be fine because there probably wouldn't be a criminal underground of people trying to sell you processed garbage if they got banned.

So freedom of people to consume whatever they wish matters not?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.