The problem with american's prison systems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 08:04 PM
RE: The problem with american's prison systems
(24-04-2016 04:25 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 02:59 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  SYZ,

Just curious, would you prefer that alcohol be illegal?

I do think that in Australia we need to further curtail the availability of alcohol to young people, and also introduce shorter trading hours for licensed clubs and pubs, along with specific "lockout" times. At the moment we're seeing a massive increase in alcohol-related crimes of violence, and people driving under the influence. One in three road deaths in Australia is alcohol-related.

The total costs to society of alcohol-related problems in 2010 was estimated to be $14.350 billion. So yes; we do need to do something to lessen the societal impact of alcohol misuse.

All that does is put people out of work. If people want to drink, they can buy at the bottle shop and drink at home at 3 am.

Many musician friends, for example, have lost work due to the current Sydney laws.

Just look at America during prohibition. It simply moves into the criminal world.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-04-2016, 08:22 PM
In regards to the food issue, I've got problems with the government deciding what's healthy and what's not given the inconsistency of and amount of half assed quazi-research involved in modern food science.

Based off of my own research and experimentation, I manage to stay around 210lbs/95kg of solid muscle and consistently exceed the maximum possible score on my Army physical fitness test on a high calorie, roughly 50% to 60% fat diet that would never make it past the food pyramid.

As for everything else... Never tried drugs (including pot), never been intoxicated, my total alcohol consumption over the course of my life has been maybe 4 or 5 glasses of wine spaced out over 37 years, never tried smoking, etc. But just for consistency, I'd nonetheless like to maintain the standard of having the government mind its own business whenever possible. I don't want the laws altered to increase my average life expectancy by a few months. It's not worth it.

That said, as for the "drug war", which goes a lot deeper than simply having a few types of dangerous drugs made illegal, I could write a fucking essay. I've been involved in this mess both while in the U.S. military taking part in anti drug operations in South America and as a civilian working in the Canadian correctional system, and the whole thing is a total shit show that hasn't accomplished its objectives and has created problems that are, in my opinion, too late to fix. Beyond that, I don't even want to get into the details of it again beyond what I've discussed here and there in other threads.

I'm not necessarily against certain drugs being illegal based on the danger they pose to people other than those using them (I don't give a shit if people want to destroy themselves, I'm all about personal responsibility in that regards), but have big problems with the bigger picture of where we've gone with the drug war.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
25-04-2016, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2016 08:42 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(24-04-2016 02:54 PM)SYZ Wrote:  And I find it ludicrous that you see unrestrainedly using illicit drugs in the same light as eating Maccas or drinking Coke. Have you ever known anyone to overdose on hamburgers and soft drinks?

Yes -- it just takes longer to stress the body enough to be fatal, by way of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and so on. And the doses are cumulative, unlike many recreational drugs.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-04-2016, 01:04 AM
(24-04-2016 11:56 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 11:48 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  End the drug war?

Why?

So even more people will get addicted to meth and neglect, abuse, or kill their own kids? So even more people can become junkies and become full blown losers? So even more people can walk around picking scabs on their face, robbing people to buy more drugs?

No. Give anyone caught with drugs life in prison after the 3rd offense. I'm fine with marijuana but fuck the rest of them.
I don't think you're being rational.

Don't mind him, he's the one rooting for school bullies because all of their victims are pussies and it's for their own good. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-04-2016, 01:41 AM
When I'm empress of the US:

1) all nonviolent drug offenders released from prison
2) all drugs legal, prescription required only for antibiotics. Otherwise, you get a doctor's note telling you what to go pick up, or you pick it up yourself.
3) dismantle the DEA now that all drugs are legal
4) use tax money saved from the war on drugs to fund psychiatric care and drug rehabilitation programs

Let's take Xanax for example. If we legalize Xanax over the counter, are there gonna be people who overdose or get addicted? Yes. Are there people who already are addicted and overdose? Yes. Because it is controlled, it has a REALLY high street value. So Joe Blow gets addicted to Xanax and needs money to support his habit that he purchases from gang members. Joe Blow runs out of his own money, so he breaks into your car and/or your house and steals your shit and takes it to the pawn shop. Now if Joe Blow could buy it on the cheap over the counter, it cuts off funding to the gangs, Joe Blow can now afford his habit, and your shit remains in your car instead of in a pawn shop the next county over. Joe Blow doesn't get arrested for possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and theft, thus our tax dollars don't go to feeding Joe Blow behind bars who is doing nothing productive. If Joe Blow can continue to work while taking his Xanax, great - he's contributing to society. If he decides he want to get off of it, he's got drug rehab facilities he can go to that are government funded, instead of the tens of thousands of dollars it currently costs to go.

It would drop crime across the board. Cuts funding to gangs and the cartel. Saves tax dollars. And instead of criminalizing a social problem, it funds legitimate help for people that got hooked on a substance they were using as a crutch instead of seeking psychiatric care.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
25-04-2016, 01:41 AM
I have personally known tons of hopelessly addicted junkies. That's their choice. The drugs should be legal. Of course junkies turn to robbery and the like. Punish that. But to punish them for the act of putting what they want into their own bodies is retarded and immoral. And believe me I hate junkies.
[+] 3 users Like Gilgamesh's post
25-04-2016, 01:44 AM
(25-04-2016 01:41 AM)Nurse Wrote:  When I'm empress of the US:

1) all nonviolent drug offenders released from prison
2) all drugs legal, prescription required only for antibiotics. Otherwise, you get a doctor's note telling you what to go pick up, or you pick it up yourself.
3) dismantle the DEA now that all drugs are legal
4) use tax money saved from the war on drugs to fund psychiatric care and drug rehabilitation programs

Let's take Xanax for example. If we legalize Xanax over the counter, are there gonna be people who overdose or get addicted? Yes. Are there people who already are addicted and overdose? Yes. Because it is controlled, it has a REALLY high street value. So Joe Blow gets addicted to Xanax and needs money to support his habit that he purchases from gang members. Joe Blow runs out of his own money, so he breaks into your car and/or your house and steals your shit and takes it to the pawn shop. Now if Joe Blow could buy it on the cheap over the counter, it cuts off funding to the gangs, Joe Blow can now afford his habit, and your shit remains in your car instead of in a pawn shop the next county over. Joe Blow doesn't get arrested for possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and theft, thus our tax dollars don't go to feeding Joe Blow behind bars who is doing nothing productive. If Joe Blow can continue to work while taking his Xanax, great - he's contributing to society. If he decides he want to get off of it, he's got drug rehab facilities he can go to that are government funded, instead of the tens of thousands of dollars it currently costs to go.

It would drop crime across the board. Cuts funding to gangs and the cartel. Saves tax dollars. And instead of criminalizing a social problem, it funds legitimate help for people that got hooked on a substance they were using as a crutch instead of seeking psychiatric care.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-04-2016, 01:46 AM
(25-04-2016 01:41 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  And believe me I hate junkies.

Why such strong emotion? I've known several. Some have OD'd. Most were simply sad.

Many things can lead to self medication.

Banjo.
25-04-2016, 02:13 AM
(25-04-2016 01:46 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 01:41 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  And believe me I hate junkies.

Why such strong emotion? I've known several. Some have OD'd. Most were simply sad.

I can't find sympathy for those who act solely for immediate pleasure and then find themselfs regretting it only after they are faced to reap what they've sown, which is the story of every addict I've known.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
25-04-2016, 02:21 AM
(25-04-2016 02:13 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 01:46 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Why such strong emotion? I've known several. Some have OD'd. Most were simply sad.

I can't find sympathy for those who act solely for immediate pleasure and then find themselfs regretting it only after they are faced to reap what they've sown, which is the story of every addict I've known.

So you've never know one who was fighting depression, anxiety, or other untreated psychological problems? Lucky you... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]