The problem with atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 08:00 AM
The problem with atheism
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/living/dee...index.html

So I found this story quite entertaining and offensive. Good old Deepak Chopra says that atheism as well as fundamentalist stifles curiosity. I say bullshit. What say you TTA?

Drinking Beverage

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 08:06 AM
RE: The problem with atheism
(02-04-2015 08:00 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/living/dee...index.html

So I found this story quite entertaining and offensive. Good old Deepak Chopra says that atheism as well as fundamentalist stifles curiosity. I say bullshit. What say you TTA?

Drinking Beverage

I didn't watch it, but if it came out of Deepak's mouth, bullshit it must be. Big Grin
[+] 8 users Like pablo's post
02-04-2015, 08:10 AM
(02-04-2015 08:00 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  What say you TTA?

I'm offended that you would ask me to read offensive shit. Big Grin

I really don't get that mentality (that appears frequently around here) where people go out of their way to find irritating shit and pass it along. Thinking that I want to be irritated. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-04-2015, 08:15 AM
(02-04-2015 08:00 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/living/dee...index.html

Drinking Beverage

I think "Yet another dilettante, who thinks talking about 'proofs' in terms of the gods has any meaning". I think Deepak has bought into the hype about his own celebrity. He's not really a scholar of religion or anything else other than his own field, (which I think is Psychology ... and I may be wrong). All these science people think that because they were "on TV" that somehow qualifies them to make pronouncements of one sort or another.

"In my own conception of God as the source of consciousness, creativity, intelligence, love and evolution, the reason to be spiritual is to increase all of those qualities".

Great. So what ? That's not in line with most religion systems, so he's also an atheist except for his own particular definition. Most of us just reject one more god than he does. He has no evidence for his. It's a warm fuzzy that sells books. Nothing else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-04-2015, 08:16 AM
The title of that should be "the problem with atheism as percieved by an idiot."
[+] 7 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
02-04-2015, 08:17 AM
(02-04-2015 08:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 08:00 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  What say you TTA?

I'm offended that you would ask me to read offensive shit. Big Grin

I really don't get that mentality (that appears frequently around here) where people go out of their way to find irritating shit and pass it along. Thinking that I want to be irritated. Tongue

I think it's just the flavor of the month right now. Everyone chiming in on faith or lack there of.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
02-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Non-judgment grows through sub empirical sensations.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-04-2015, 08:26 AM
(02-04-2015 08:17 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 08:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm offended that you would ask me to read offensive shit. Big Grin

I think it's just the flavor of the month right now. Everyone chiming in on faith or lack there of.

Makes me think you were involved in that asinine dress discussion. Tongue

Besides, isn't that what Facebook is for (that and Gwynnies. Heart )

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2015, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 11:45 AM by Reltzik.)
As with most things Chopra says, what he says in this article is so fuzzy as to flirt with literal meaningless.

Using a sliding scale model for belief versus non-belief? Fine, I can buy into that. But how does church attendance affect that? Chopra acknowledges that the reason atheists attend church is social and familial obligation, yet simultaneously holds it forth as an example of gradation of belief. Is he saying that there's no distinction between superficial religious-like behavior and actual belief? Not at all. He's simply implying it, rather than stating it explicitly... or maybe he's just linking random factoids and assuming, in an airy manner, some vague spiritual whole to them.

Some other faux pases.. faux pas? faux paseux? Whatever...

Equating atheism with materialism, and in particular dogmatic materialism. Okay, sure, they're related, but not the same. But he uses the equivalence to attack atheism.

Equating atheism with skepticism. Again, related but not identical.

Oh, right, atheists believe in nothing. Where have we heard that before? Dodgy

Offering no definition or distinction at all to illustrate what he means by knee-jerk skepticism. Is any skepticism knee-jerk? If not, what's the threshold where we go from reasonable skepticism to knee-jerk skepticism? What's the line that divides the two? Are all atheists knee-jerk skeptics by definition? He doesn't say so, but given the placement of the term in the article, he seems to think so.

A deepity definition of "God as the source of consciousness, creativity, intelligence, love and evolution". Is it possible to think that all of those exist, Mr. Chopra, and value them, but ascribe them to emergent properties of the human brain and biology in general without attaching a god-label to them that's highly at odds with what most people think the word "God" refers to and which will just confuse everyone? Does it occur to you that when atheists say they do not believe in a god, that this is not the god they are referring to and, in fact, they would not consider this a god at all?

"Rationality is a specialized aspect of the higher brain, but it's not the end-all and be-all of life as anyone can tell you who has experienced love, music, art, compassion, self-sacrifice, altruism, inspiration, intuition -- indeed, most of the things that make life worth living." .... and so engaging in such activities is rewarding and can thus be... what was that word? Ra... rationa... dammit, it's not quite coming to me. Note, also, the implication and/or assumption that rational people and/or atheists are not loving, compassionate, self-sacrificing, altruistic... and that such people are nothing BUT abstract rationality.

Yes, this is offensive. It's also said in an extremely vague, with a vague thesis only vaguely supported by vague generalities about a vague category of people who reject a vague notion of a god. Did I mention that it's vague?
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
02-04-2015, 09:26 AM
(02-04-2015 09:09 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Some other faux pases.. faux pas? faux paseux? Whatever...

In French it stays the same when plural. So yes, faux pas.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post