The problem with certainty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 02:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: The problem with certainty
"The scientific method doesn’t 'prove' anything. Proofs are only used in the domain of mathematics."

Nice. Thumbsup Give up on being certain of anything because you will fail trying. ... Drives you bonkers if you try, releases you if you don't. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-05-2012, 03:24 PM
(12-05-2012 02:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That means you are moving at 2,724,666 Miles Per Hour, as you sit, sipping dacquiries, gazing at you know who. Tongue
Well, I'm feeling quite windswept after all that.
I think I'll go do something appropriately weird. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
(12-05-2012 02:24 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I didn't see a racial slur, I saw a colloquialism.

Spoken like a true southern gentleman. [Image: Oops.gif]

Quote:And you came outta nowhere in a convo having nothing to do with you

This, coming from a guy who derails every other thread by regaling us
with tales of his creepy attraction to obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow. [Image: Shades.gif] OK...

Convo having nothing to do with me? Say what? I posted in this thread before you di...
Oh, you mean when you derailed...oh, man...sorry for derailing your derail!

BTW, I can say with 100% scientific certainty that these legs are disgusting:

[Image: gwyneth-paltrow-shiny-legs-11.jpg]

Also, every copy of Country Strong should be pissed on and then burned... [Image: FunnyFace2.gif]

K, I'm done.

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
12-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Well.
I'm delighted with the forum's contribution to the Zeitgeist.

Sort of. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
(12-05-2012 03:30 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  Also, every copy of Country Strong should be pissed on and then burned... [Image: FunnyFace2.gif]

I want to piss on and then burn you for suggesting this song to me. ... I have no idea how HouseOfCantor will react.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 04:06 PM by houseofcantor.)
(12-05-2012 03:30 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  This, coming from a guy who derails every other thread by regaling us
with tales of his creepy attraction to obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow. [Image: Shades.gif] OK...

That's my job. I'm a prophet, dontcha know. Big Grin

(12-05-2012 03:30 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  Oh, you mean when you derailed...oh, man...sorry for derailing your derail!

Apology accepted. Angel

(12-05-2012 03:30 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  BTW, I can say with 100% scientific certainty that these legs are disgusting:

My biology takes exception to your scientific certainty. I find it more scientific that a natural process occurs upon observation without conscious will, such as what happens when I look at those legs, than your baseless, unsubstantiated claim. Tongue

(12-05-2012 03:30 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  Also, every copy of Country Strong should be pissed on and then burned...

Not my copy!
[Image: fighting-irish1237053582.gif]

...with the bonus vid, my Gwynnies in the leather pants, looking so unbelievably adorable... Bowing ... can't say I'm a big fan of the movie, but the DVD I shall defend with my life. Big Grin

...and she's my god. Your religious intolerance is showing. Tongue
(12-05-2012 03:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I have no idea how HouseOfCantor will react.

psst... that's the wrong vid.

I was laughing. Other peeps talking about my Gwynnies? And posting pics? O-K. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Mmmm, looks like I missed some fun.

Indeed, Quidsane... humble apologies for participating in the derail.

Hate to do a Ricky Gervais on you and explain a comedic nuance but you seem to have confused subject with object.

The "yellow fever" term is used by the Singaporeans about the Caucasians who, btw, are also referred to as "Ang Mo" (or Ang moh) meaning red-haired (and sometimes red devil - which Man Utd fans take as a compliment). In other words it's heavy with irony... hence the humour.

Everyday, I hear people ask each other "what race are you?" or even "are you mixed?" (to which my reply would be "does it matter? I'm not racist").
I was surprised to hear this question at first but slowly I realised that it is a kind of short-hand for "ethnicity" and is no different from/to "what school did you go to? / where we you born? / where did you grow up?". Even the "what religion are you?" question holds no discriminatory under- or over-tones. No one gets condemned for their answer although judgements are surely made.

These judgements rarely contain "certainty" but are just the natural human technique of pattern recognition / classification / categorisation.... without which we spend days interrogating everyone we meet.

Sure, an elected Aussie official has to be circumspect yet I am reminded of the outcry when a US official used the word "niggardly" - which says as much about educational standards as it does about poitical correctness.

It seems that those who shout the loudest are the ones who are "certain" they are right.

[see what I did there? Back on rail]

13-05-2012, 12:48 AM
[Image: eat-crow.jpg?w=600]

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Quidsane's post
13-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I don't know, Q. Your pet peeve started barking which got my pet peeve barking, which provided a spot of entertainment. Besides, no eating unless you bring enough for everyone. Tongue

As to the OP and derailment; not my Gwynnies, cause loving her is my only certainty. If I can't talk about her, I pretty much ain't got nothing to say. She is everything to me. I kan try to tone it down, but that only works for a minute, then I'm all bouncy again...

You can just shoot me, if you want. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-05-2012, 06:22 AM
(13-05-2012 03:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  then I'm all bouncy again...

pssst.....you guys. It's, (at least in part), a metaphor.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post