The problem with certainty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 06:46 AM
RE: The problem with certainty
(13-05-2012 06:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-05-2012 03:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  then I'm all bouncy again...

pssst.....you guys. It's, (at least in part), a metaphor.

Hug

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2012, 11:42 AM
(13-05-2012 06:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-05-2012 03:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  then I'm all bouncy again...

pssst.....you guys. It's, (at least in part), a metaphor.

Blasphemer! The Prophet does not speak in metaphors or riddles. The Prophet only speaks parables. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
13-05-2012, 11:49 AM
(13-05-2012 11:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Blasphemer! The Prophet does not speak in metaphors or riddles. The Prophet only speaks parables. Wink

Am preased he speaks in lidders. Ah-so. So sue me. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
17-05-2012, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 10:30 PM by houseofcantor.)
(12-05-2012 03:30 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  This, coming from a guy who derails every other thread by regaling us
with tales of his creepy obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow.

Yeah, this has bothered me since it was posted. I can see how my Gwynnie thing would be interpreted as creepy, and one of my biggest fears - well, probably the biggest since I don't much do fear - is that Gwyneth would stumble across my words and find them creepy...

I'm over here laughing. That's how broke in the head I am, that I don't care what people think of me, but rather what people think of Gwyneth because of me. What an asshole. Big Grin

Anyway... four days later, and that demon is once again banished. It's not about this fool obsessing over that girl - well, sometimes - but mostly, here, it's about this fool using the simulation of "my Gwynnies" to diagram the contours of the universe. It's immense; it's like, yay! I did something with my life! and I start writing stuff... and I go I love my Gwynnies! and it starts to sound, well, creepy... so I shut my hole for a while...

It'll prolly take me another forty years to write the words that explain love is void, but if and when it does happen, it will be payback to Gwyneth for making me smile, and balance will return to the universe. Wink

And as to the OP - fuck certainty. On many levels. I got an "unholy obsession trinity" going on with Gwyneth, Ashley Greene, and Kristen Stewart - because one thing is both not enough and way too much. So... add a coupla vampires to the mix, makes perfect sense... Big Grin

Once upon a time I concluded that fanaticism was not certainty but rather fervent denial of uncertainty. I consider that people see a chink in their own armor and overcompensate, and I think the problem is, that on a certain level we cannot bear not knowing. Something must be absolutely right. But facts have no meaning; name or location or date of birth, those are merely artifice, artifacts of the tension between discrimination and unity that makes human society. At the core, like the irritating grain of sand in the oyster's maw is a kernel of chaos, around which forms the pearlization of the image of the perfect, certain self - god. And to be certain in society is to compare pearls, which must all be the same, lest we be forced to look within and face the gaping void of chaos.

But I am not afraid, by an act of will. I love my Gwynnies - no matter what she thinks of me. Heart

18-05-2012, 03:15 AM
And another problem with certainty: there's me and my Gwynnies. The rest of you are expendable. Big Grin