The problem with moral sliders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 08:35 AM
The problem with moral sliders
Whenever I play a game with a moral slider I always find it rather silly how my actions decide if I'm a good or bad person rather than the whether I'm a good person or a bad person decides if I do good or bad things.

A pure upstanding hero does not walk into a city, kill everyone for fun, and then walk out evil, it's pretty certain he was evil all along.

Any thoughts on this?

"A witty quote means nothing"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 09:47 AM
RE: The problem with moral sliders
I'd view it more cyclical as doing bad leads you to being bad which leads you to doing bad which leads you to being bad...

And that's more the formula of some. Many of them aren't really worthwhile if you want to view it as bad/good which is why I think many accurately don't use those labels.

They're still a long way off from doing anything resembling some good moral choice actions in games as far as I see it. I still want to see it grow in games where it really is the total main gameplay

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-02-2015, 10:37 AM
(19-02-2015 09:47 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'd view it more cyclical as doing bad leads you to being bad which leads you to doing bad which leads you to being bad...

And that's more the formula of some. Many of them aren't really worthwhile if you want to view it as bad/good which is why I think many accurately don't use those labels.

They're still a long way off from doing anything resembling some good moral choice actions in games as far as I see it. I still want to see it grow in games where it really is the total main gameplay

I'd like sliders with stuff like idealism vs cynicism, build a character on the assumption you want to be good, but it quantifies what you think must be done to achieve that.

"A witty quote means nothing"
24-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Its probably best to look at it as a measure of how people in the world view your character, rather than your character's actual personality.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure if you ever played the Knights of the Old Republic video games but I thought these had a pretty good slider between dark side/light side points. I haven't played too many games like that since then.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
02-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Red Dead Redemption had that sort of thing.

But it did sort of clash with the story quite a lot, where Marston's morality was always somewhat ambiguous.

Still taking the slider to the extremes yields certain benefits. Discount from shops for being good, and a rare "Dark Horse" for being an evil bastard.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user