The problem with trolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 07:53 AM
The problem with trolls
We are, at times, shocked by their sheer stupidity that we HAVE to respond. It's nearly pavlovian.
Trolls are that itch we can't quite scratch. They get under our skin and this is why they do it.
It's an insects way of trying to fight back at a giant.
The giant being science and we the explorers of science and the observable, natural world.

In a sick way, we also enjoy the trolls to an extent. They give us the opportunity to lash out, to be angry, to show frustration and then to tell others about it.
Long threads of seemingly unending triviality that accomplishes nothing, but at times, can be entertaining.

Sometimes it's hard to spot a true troll from a simple regular theist who is absurdly confused about reality and how it works. A true troll has an agenda and hopefully doesn't believe his or her own bullshit, but simply says it as a way to irritate. A theist may spout the exact same bullshit but their mind is at least open enough for a crack of light to peer through.

It's our job to pry that crack open even further.
If you are imagining a crow bar inside someones skull, you're going too far Smile

[Image: 4143426223_7f7d81c9ff.jpg]

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
RE: The problem with trolls
(12-05-2013 07:53 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
A theist may spout the exact same bullshit but their mind is at least open enough for a crack of light to peer through.

Who's job?

Lemme see a contract before I sign up for this.

What's the salary like?

Dodgy

12-05-2013, 08:45 AM
(12-05-2013 08:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 07:53 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
A theist may spout the exact same bullshit but their mind is at least open enough for a crack of light to peer through.

Who's job?

Lemme see a contract before I sign up for this.

What's the salary like?

Dodgy

What's the rate of job satisfaction across the industry? On-the-job injury rate?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
12-05-2013, 09:03 AM
(12-05-2013 08:45 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
What's the rate of job satisfaction across the industry?

Come to think of it... that's quite high.

(12-05-2013 08:45 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
On-the-job injury rate?

Where I work, it can be fatal.

Confused

12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
[Image: Can%27t+stop+now+someone+is+wrong+on+the+internet.jpg]

It's very true, Rahn.

It's very difficult to resist.

I often let it get the better of me.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 4 users Like Ghost's post
12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
(12-05-2013 07:53 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Long threads of seemingly unending triviality that accomplishes nothing, but at times, can be entertaining.

Why not just say "internet forum".

It's shorter. Big Grin

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
It can be hard to resist, but I'm going to do my best to ignore the troll threads. It does no good to give any brain real estate to their spoutings, and it is a waste of my time. Besides, I have to study for Docskeptic's next class!

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
(12-05-2013 07:53 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...a simple regular theist who is absurdly confused about reality and how it works. A true troll has an agenda and hopefully doesn't believe his or her own bullshit, but simply says it as a way to irritate.

I just know this is going to stir up a hornets' nest, but... how exactly do you view a "troll"? Is it possible to divine a person's motives for making an argument? How would you know if someone is simply "saying [something] as a way to irritate"? The problem with defining people as trolls is that their "trollness" is defined by the beholders, which is similar to my general problem with "hate speech". There's no way to know what someone's intent is when saying something inflammatory, except by assuming that if your feelings are hurt then the speaker must have been trying to hurt your feelings.

This guy's views were unpopular here, but I recognize his repeated attempts to make arguments as possibly an attempt to actually persuade us to see things his way. His insults were minimal, and his arguments were cited. I doubt that he was simply trying to irritate anyone, even if that was the net effect.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post