The procrastinating death cult

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 12:45 AM
RE: The procrastinating death cult
(29-03-2014 12:37 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 06:28 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I don't usually quote myself, but this seemed apt, and I didn't want to derail the other thread:

I hear this from time to time, particularly on Facebook on my fundy friend's page. There's always this sentiment that they want to go home. They can't wait to see their savior. They can't wait to bask in God's glory. Sometimes, they can't wait for the rapture and God's judgment (extra creepy).

Still, the message is always the same: they want to die, but they don't want to cheat and bring it on themselves. They can't commit suicide, because that's a sin, or something. They still do things like buckle their seat belts and go to doctors (except for the craziest among them). But they want to die, and they won't be truly happy until they do.

Now, I get that they believe they have an immortal soul, so they're not really "dying", but ironically gaining immortality, but damn, if hearing them repeat this isn't creepy as hell.

Side note:
I've recently started wondering: the whole "suicide is a sin" thing isn't strictly Biblical, is it? As far as I can tell, this got worked in to prevent Christianity from becoming a suicide cult. The Jews didn't believe in an awesome afterlife, so they had no reason to speed up the process. Also, the Jews believed that their bodies were going to be resurrected as-is (gross), so they probably didn't want to inflict injuries on themselves. I'm not sure what the Christian stance is on the matter.
Like the rest of us, Christians are at the mercy of the inherited imperative to survive; it takes a remarkable combination of psychological malfunctions to bypass it. I am convinced that even the most passionate Christian still struggles with doubt about his (religious) faith.
I struggled with it, but then that would cause doubts of of my salvation, and that would bring on the fear, the guilt, the feeling of failure and that I was a traitor to God.... you name it. It was horrid.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2014, 12:47 AM
(29-03-2014 12:45 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 12:37 AM)mknight Wrote:  Like the rest of us, Christians are at the mercy of the inherited imperative to survive; it takes a remarkable combination of psychological malfunctions to bypass it. I am convinced that even the most passionate Christian still struggles with doubt about his (religious) faith.
I struggled with it, but then that would cause doubts of of my salvation, and that would bring on the fear, the guilt, the feeling of failure and that I was a traitor to God.... you name it. It was horrid.
No doubt, fortunately you seem to be handling it well. I truly believe that the solution lies in fear and anxiety management.
29-03-2014, 12:53 AM
(29-03-2014 12:47 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 12:45 AM)Charis Wrote:  I struggled with it, but then that would cause doubts of of my salvation, and that would bring on the fear, the guilt, the feeling of failure and that I was a traitor to God.... you name it. It was horrid.
No doubt, fortunately you seem to be handling it well. I truly believe that the solution lies in fear and anxiety management.
I wish I could say that's what happened.

Sad
29-03-2014, 01:07 AM
(29-03-2014 12:53 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 12:47 AM)mknight Wrote:  No doubt, fortunately you seem to be handling it well. I truly believe that the solution lies in fear and anxiety management.
I wish I could say that's what happened.

Sad
Oh, I see, well...how are you handling it?
29-03-2014, 01:29 AM
Getting a little better.
29-03-2014, 02:00 AM
(29-03-2014 01:29 AM)Charis Wrote:  Getting a little better.
If I may, what is it you seek?
29-03-2014, 02:07 AM
(29-03-2014 02:00 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 01:29 AM)Charis Wrote:  Getting a little better.
If I may, what is it you seek?

Now I'm just trying to recover from... damage.
29-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Who's for promoting the idea that suicide is not a sin.

In fact, you get extra loyalty points (72 virgins or grapes depending on your translation).

Then natural selection takes care of the rest.

Consider

Is that bad?

Angel

29-03-2014, 02:53 AM
(29-03-2014 02:07 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 02:00 AM)mknight Wrote:  If I may, what is it you seek?

Now I'm just trying to recover from... damage.
The fact that you're doing something about it suggests that you're almost there
29-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Thank you. I am making progress, but I have a long road ahead where that is concerned.