The procrastinating death cult
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2014, 03:20 AM
RE: The procrastinating death cult
(29-03-2014 02:55 AM)Charis Wrote:  Thank you. I am making progress, but I have a long road ahead where that is concerned.
Belief is perfectly subjective and truth, inaccessible. The development of a network of seemingly reliable (and replaceable) conclusions is all we have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post
29-03-2014, 07:08 AM
(28-03-2014 06:38 PM)Charis Wrote:  By and large, the usual Christian stance on the matter can be summed up like this:

Suicide is a sin for a couple reasons:
1. Murder
2. "Playing God" by determining your own time to go
3. Interference in God's plan

Of course, any Christian who makes that argument has to admit one of two things:

1) We are capable of circumventing God's plan, in which case: of what use is God's plan?

2) It was God's plan that they killed themselves, in which case: why demonize the act? Is it God's plan that they do something bad? Sort of violates free will, and most Christians I know aren't Calvinists.

(28-03-2014 07:38 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Yes. This whole attitude degrades the one and only life we ever have – our earthly existence.

And a worrying thing about this is that some Christians in power are looking forward to the end of the world and have their fingers on nuclear buttons.

Another issue is when people say that we don't have to worry about climate change because "only God could change the climate" or "this world is only temporary". It leads to rampant irresponsibility. Luckily, most Christians I know don't get that weird.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-03-2014, 07:12 AM
(29-03-2014 12:37 AM)mknight Wrote:  Like the rest of us, Christians are at the mercy of the inherited imperative to survive; it takes a remarkable combination of psychological malfunctions to bypass it. I am convinced that even the most passionate Christian still struggles with doubt about his (religious) faith.

I'm sure they do. I mean, there's the "first type" of doubt (I'll call it that, because it's the first type I experienced). I think this type even kids experience. They realize they can't see God, so, what if he's not there? There are more sophisticated types that involved questioning whether or not it make sense, questioning why God would hide, why there are so many false religions, questioning the nature of God, and other advanced topics.

That being said, when I went to my old church, the topic of doubt would come up from time to time in sermons. The take home message was always the same: doubt is normal. Don't worry about it. Pray about it. Trust in God, or basically, you've gotta have more faith. The point is to normalize the concept of doubt, so the believers will see it as a normal part of their walk in faith as opposed to actual critical thinking.