"The proof"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 07:46 AM
"The proof"
Stumbled across this while reading threads, interested to hear opinions on this?

Personally I think it is void of all reason, proof or logic.

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/the-proof/

Don't kid yourself that you're going to live again after you're dead; you're not. Make the most of the one life you've got. Live it to the full.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2017, 07:58 AM
RE: "The proof"
That's Sye ten Bruggencate's website. It's presuppositional bullshit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
14-03-2017, 08:14 AM
(14-03-2017 07:46 AM)psiclark Wrote:  Stumbled across this while reading threads, interested to hear opinions on this?

You are so right!

Here is an excellent takedown of his proof. Watch what happens with Ten Bruggencate himself when he engages the author in the comments section. It's priceless. You see the presuppositional "argument" is not an argument but a series of assertions and questions posing as an argument. The pressuppositional apologetic method counts on the ignorance of those it engages about issues such as truth, certainty, knowledge, logic, etc. I think it is specifically designed to go against skeptics. See what happens when it runs into someone who is not ignorant but better informed on these issues than the apologist.

http://bahnsenburner.blogspot.com/2010/0...cates.html

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post
14-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Against that we have proof that God does not exist:

>The Christian God is defined by mainstream Christianity as being all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful, and all just. Yet even a cursory reading of the bible reveals a God who is cruel, unjust, tyrannical, unloving and eternally vengeful. Ergo, the Christian God does not exist by reason of self-contradiction.

>An all-loving, all-powerful, all-knowing God, by definition, cannot create evil or permit evil to exist in the world. And yet, evil exists. Ergo, God, as he is defined, does not exist on the grounds of self-contradiction.

>The law of conservation of matter and energy states that the total quantity of energy in the universe remains the same. Matter and energy are interchangeable, but neither can be created or destroyed. Ergo, the universe has always existed and will always exist in one form or another. God is unnecessary by the Principle of Parsimony.

>The natural histories of religions are well-documented. The behavioral causes of religions are well-known. There is no evidence that religions are the products of anything other than human ingenuity and imagination. Ergo, atheism is rational and skeptically unassailable.
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-03-2017, 08:30 AM
(14-03-2017 08:14 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 07:46 AM)psiclark Wrote:  Stumbled across this while reading threads, interested to hear opinions on this?

You are so right!

Here is an excellent takedown of his proof. Watch what happens with Ten Bruggencate himself when he engages the author in the comments section. It's priceless. You see the presuppositional "argument" is not an argument but a series of assertions and questions posing as an argument. The pressuppositional apologetic method counts on the ignorance of those it engages about issues such as truth, certainty, knowledge, logic, etc. I think it is specifically designed to go against skeptics. See what happens when it runs into someone who is not ignorant but better informed on these issues than the apologist.

Presupposition is frankly boring, and unfortunately all too common from multiple religions.....

I wish religious folks would try harder.....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
14-03-2017, 08:35 AM
(14-03-2017 07:58 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That's Sye ten Bruggencate's website.

Thanks! That's all I need to know to NOT click on the link. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
14-03-2017, 08:42 AM
(14-03-2017 08:30 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 08:14 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  You are so right!

Presupposition is frankly boring, and unfortunately all too common from multiple religions.....

I wish religious folks would try harder.....

Actually it's a great sign that we are winning. They've given up on providing arguments and evidence and are relying on cheap tactics to fool the philosophically uninformed. When you give up on rational argument you are admitting that reason is on the side of your opponents.

bottom line: If there was really a god, it would not let these people continue to embarrass it with these "arguments".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 5 users Like true scotsman's post
14-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Judging from his comments on Bahnsenburner, Sye Ten is a petulant little child unworthy of serious consideration. He only commented to whine, not to critique. He was soundly pwned in that essay, and he fucking well knows it.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
14-03-2017, 09:28 AM

Every theist argument for the existence of God can not only be turned around using the same standard of reasoning to show that God does not exist, but quite often makes for a stronger case. Sye Ten is no exception.

Sye Ten's so called proof improved to show that God cannot exist

Basically all the same copied from the website but the massive leap at step 16 has been made more reasonable.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
14-03-2017, 09:29 AM
For anybody that hasn't seen it... be aware that it is VERY painful to watch

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post