The purpose of criminal justice

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-06-2016, 01:46 PM
RE: The purpose of criminal justice
(13-06-2016 11:02 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  [...] What I would like to see is non-violent offenders get non-prison consequences.

I agree with this notion. There's really no point in locking up a qualified accountant or CPA who's diddled the IRS out of lousy $25K for a couple of years.

Instead, have him work a 40-hour week at a charity's administrative office, with only the standard unemployment benefit to live on. Or in a hospital or school. Use his skills and experience to the benefit of the community instead of having him—as a guest of the state—cost the community tens of thousands of dollars in board and lodging.

He's hardly going to turn into a mass-murderer or a rapist if you don't physically lock him up is he?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
13-06-2016, 02:42 PM
(13-06-2016 01:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  There's really no point in locking up a qualified accountant or CPA who's diddled the IRS out of lousy $25K for a couple of years.

Well, sure. But what about all the other levels of embezzlement - what are the definitions of the level of the criminal categories and what are the punishments going to be?

I understand that you do not have the complete solution, but it is a complex problem, and I wonder how to go about correcting it - bitch and moan with the legislators???

They themselves know it is fucked-up, don't they?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
13-06-2016, 03:03 PM
(13-06-2016 12:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yeah, if he's dumb enough to use the phrase "bitch" to a guy who did a decade in a Maximum Security prison,
Oh gosh, I'm sorry - I did not realize that you were qualified to call me an "asshole," anytime you please. I forgot the rules. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
13-06-2016, 03:42 PM
So I stand corrected. While 20% of inmates are in prison for non-violent drug offenses (as of 2012), 56% of sentenced federal prisoners are for non-violent drug offenders. So depending on if we are talking about state or federal prisons the statistics change. (source: http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resou...eID=004339 )

Quote:Although it's difficult to reconcile the release of a rapist, murderer, or paedophile—ever—from jail. We just can't run the risk of psychopaths and/or sociopaths re-offending. The sanctity of innocent lives is too great a price to risk in these cases.

I'm a bit iffy on this. A rapist does not stop being a human being just because they raped someone, nor does a murderer or a pedophile. Now absolutely they need to be removed from the population for a time, but forever? Not sure. I actually would prefer chemical castration for pedophiles after their time of incarceration is over, I think this is more in the interest of justice. I would likely be in favor of this for rapists as well, granted reviewing it on a case by case basis.
13-06-2016, 03:55 PM
(13-06-2016 03:42 PM)natachan Wrote:  So I stand corrected. While 20% of inmates are in prison for non-violent drug offenses (as of 2012), 56% of sentenced federal prisoners are for non-violent drug offenders. So depending on if we are talking about state or federal prisons the statistics change. (source: http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resou...eID=004339 )

Quote:Although it's difficult to reconcile the release of a rapist, murderer, or paedophile—ever—from jail. We just can't run the risk of psychopaths and/or sociopaths re-offending. The sanctity of innocent lives is too great a price to risk in these cases.

I'm a bit iffy on this. A rapist does not stop being a human being just because they raped someone, nor does a murderer or a pedophile. Now absolutely they need to be removed from the population for a time, but forever? Not sure. I actually would prefer chemical castration for pedophiles after their time of incarceration is over, I think this is more in the interest of justice. I would likely be in favor of this for rapists as well, granted reviewing it on a case by case basis.

How about offering choices?

Death or life in prison
chemical castration or life in prison

and so on.

But, rape is not a sex crime, I hear that the motivator here is power and not sex. So I don't know if chemical castration won't just shift the behavior to even more violence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-06-2016, 04:02 PM
I would think it would depend on the rapist. For some it might be enough to put them in jail for 10 years and then they won't do it again. I see nothing wrong with releasing them after that and putting them on the registry. For others a serious review of options is necessary.