The real reason why theists convert others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 03:02 PM
The real reason why theists convert others
Why do you think theists try to convert others into their sect of whatever religion they are a part of?

I think it's all based around fear. Fear is the deciding factor in whether or not you are a theist or non theist. They are so afraid of slipping into nothing and ceasing to be that they not only have to delude themselves into believing in the absurd. Such as the pastor from Questioning Darwin film where he stats that if the bible said 2+2=5 and he would just accept it as true. No matter what the claim they are so afraid of dying and not existing that they will just believe in their fantasies. This comes true the more they actually believe it.

Now, how do you validate and bolster that belief and give more importance to it? The answer is quite simple really, It is to have larger numbers of people who agree with you. So, in order keep their fear in check even more, people try to convert or force conversion to others admit they believe. After all, the more people who agree with you, the more you can validate your claim as being true to yourself regardless of the fact of it being true or not. So, I think when theists try to convert others, It is simply a matter of them trying to suppress their fear even further by adding numbers to the people who agree with them.

To me, when a Christian tries to say that all they want is to save someone, I think that unbeknownst to them, that they are actually referring to themselves in the sense that they are trying to save themselves from their own fear.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: The real reason why theists convert others
Do you think this for all theists?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-08-2014, 03:08 PM
(27-08-2014 03:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Do you think this for all theists?

*Disclaimer, this OP only applies to assholes.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-08-2014, 03:09 PM
(27-08-2014 03:08 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

*Disclaimer, this OP only applies to assholes.

I am a huge "asshole".

This is also common knowledge.

27-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Yes, I believe it applies to all of them who believe that they are trying to save someone.
To me it makes more logical sense as a hidden reason as to thing that is the force behind their drive to do so. The fear of what they do not want to admit to is what I believe drives theists to try to covert others in order to make themselves more assure that their beliefs are more real than everyone else's and helps with their fear of death.

What about you? Do you disagree with my assumption or do you have a different idea of what could be a real reason behind it? Because I do not necessarily believe a lot of them when they say they truly want to "save people" as part of their actual psychological reason for going house to house or indoctrinating their children or any of the other stuff they do.

27-08-2014, 04:11 PM
The deep seeded reason as to why humans try to spread religion or politics is evolutionary. Humans evolved to form groups to survive, that survival allow for greater opportunity to create offspring.

When we perceive a pattern we think works, we try to protect it. The downside to our evolution is our different groups get divided over that. The real reason we group is that we are in competition for resources.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
27-08-2014, 04:26 PM
(27-08-2014 04:11 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  The deep seeded reason as to why humans try to spread religion or politics is evolutionary. Humans evolved to form groups to survive, that survival allow for greater opportunity to create offspring.

When we perceive a pattern we think works, we try to protect it. The downside to our evolution is our different groups get divided over that. The real reason we group is that we are in competition for resources.

Interesting view; However, I am not quite sure what "resource" a theist could be fighting over. Unless it is some holy land or something of that like. So maybe you are saying that one of the major contributing reasons is the evolution of society and the need for whatever resource that group needs? But why would it still be important in this day in age when resources are no longer limited and life threatening to the majority of the world?

Or is it something like our fear of the dark? Something we cannot easily get rid of, even though we have portable light to make the scary shadows go away?

27-08-2014, 04:27 PM
(27-08-2014 04:10 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

Yes, I believe it applies to all of them who believe that they are trying to save someone.
To me it makes more logical sense as a hidden reason as to thing that is the force behind their drive to do so. The fear of what they do not want to admit to is what I believe drives theists to try to covert others in order to make themselves more assure that their beliefs are more real than everyone else's and helps with their fear of death.

What about you? Do you disagree with my assumption or do you have a different idea of what could be a real reason behind it? Because I do not necessarily believe a lot of them when they say they truly want to "save people" as part of their actual psychological reason for going house to house or indoctrinating their children or any of the other stuff they do.

Don't you just hate it when theists come here and say "All you atheists really know deep down that God exists -- you're just in denial"? Pretty condescending, isn't it? But you're doing exactly the same thing in reverse.

If a theist really believes that his religion is the one true way to salvation, how could he not want to convert others? If he cares about other people at all, why wouldn't he want to see them saved rather than damned? I'm much more creeped out by the ones who seem to get a kick out of the idea of everyone else being damned. If they want to save me, they may be deluded, but at least they're not sadistic sickos.
27-08-2014, 04:38 PM
(27-08-2014 04:26 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 04:11 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  The deep seeded reason as to why humans try to spread religion or politics is evolutionary. Humans evolved to form groups to survive, that survival allow for greater opportunity to create offspring.

Interesting view; However, I am not quite sure what "resource" a theist could be fighting over. Unless it is some holy land or something of that like. So maybe you are saying that one of the major contributing reasons is the evolution of society and the need for whatever resource that group needs? But why would it still be important in this day in age when resources are no longer limited and life threatening to the majority of the world?

Or is it something like our fear of the dark? Something we cannot easily get rid of, even though we have portable light to make the scary shadows go away?

Grouping provides an opportunity for offspring and resources. An individual in that group doesn't have to give to all in that group, just be connected enough in their goals that their social structure provides them protection as a collective. Cooperation helps form groups.

Someone trying to convert you to their religion isn't looking for money or food at that very second, but if you join, that is one more in the collective that will form a bigger group.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 04:44 PM
(27-08-2014 04:10 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Yes, I believe it applies to all of them who believe that they are trying to save someone.

That's kind of narrow-minded wouldn't you say?

My theology is a bit different as I believe I cannot save anyone. No action that I can do will ever save anyone. Salvation is for God to enact. I do believe we play a hand in salvation which is why we evangelize. You never know the action that God chooses for someone's regeneration to be initiated.

You did say all theists, though...

Quote:To me it makes more logical sense as a hidden reason as to thing that is the force behind their drive to do so. The fear of what they do not want to admit to is what I believe drives theists to try to covert others in order to make themselves more assure that their beliefs are more real than everyone else's and helps with their fear of death.

Again... that's pretty narrow-minded. Why must they have an ulterior motive, whether known or unknown, to share something with people that they believe is truly needed and helpful? Empathy is the basis for this action.

Likewise, when I share my salvation I don't do it for reassurance. So, there's that.

But, you did say all theists, so...

Quote:What about you? Do you disagree with my assumption or do you have a different idea of what could be a real reason behind it? Because I do not necessarily believe a lot of them when they say they truly want to "save people" as part of their actual psychological reason for going house to house or indoctrinating their children or any of the other stuff they do.

By now, me disagreeing with you is a foregone conclusion.

While your assumption is certainly applicable and valid for some Christians, it is hardly the sole answer to the question. Some do it out of love. Some do it out of pure command. Some do it because they don't believe they have a choice. Some do it due to the empathy they have for their fellow human.

I would even be willing to say that the vast majority do it from the standpoint of love and empathy because they don't want another person to be subjected to eternal damnation.

I do it as a mix between empathy and command... that, and I believe in predestination. So, what you assumed doesn't apply to me; however, you did say all theists...

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post