The real reason why theists convert others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 05:10 PM
RE: The real reason why theists convert others
Perhaps you all might be right. I still believe that some of them may use their fear (though they are unaware) as a drive to try and convert people.

Although, perhaps I was wrong in thinking that it may apply to all of them.

hm, I suppose I am guilty of the composition/division fallacy this time? I feel a bit guilty. I seem to have a bad habbit of doing that sometimes. Applying what may be true to one part of something to all of it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
27-08-2014, 05:37 PM
(27-08-2014 03:02 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Why do you think theists try to convert others into their sect of whatever religion they are a part of?

I think it's all based around fear. Fear is the deciding factor in whether or not you are a theist or non theist. They are so afraid of slipping into nothing and ceasing to be that they not only have to delude themselves into believing in the absurd. Such as the pastor from Questioning Darwin film where he stats that if the bible said 2+2=5 and he would just accept it as true. No matter what the claim they are so afraid of dying and not existing that they will just believe in their fantasies. This comes true the more they actually believe it.

Now, how do you validate and bolster that belief and give more importance to it? The answer is quite simple really, It is to have larger numbers of people who agree with you. So, in order keep their fear in check even more, people try to convert or force conversion to others admit they believe. After all, the more people who agree with you, the more you can validate your claim as being true to yourself regardless of the fact of it being true or not. So, I think when theists try to convert others, It is simply a matter of them trying to suppress their fear even further by adding numbers to the people who agree with them.

To me, when a Christian tries to say that all they want is to save someone, I think that unbeknownst to them, that they are actually referring to themselves in the sense that they are trying to save themselves from their own fear.

You nailed it! Whenever someone asks and I tell them I don't believe I always see fear and shock but it is not fear for my soul that I'm seeing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
27-08-2014, 05:47 PM
(27-08-2014 04:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  -----
While your assumption is certainly applicable and valid for some Christians, it is hardly the sole answer to the question. Some do it out of love. Some do it out of pure command. Some do it because they don't believe they have a choice. Some do it due to the empathy they have for their fellow human.

I would even be willing to say that the vast majority do it from the standpoint of love and empathy because they don't want another person to be subjected to eternal damnation.

I do it as a mix between empathy and command... that, and I believe in predestination. So, what you assumed doesn't apply to me; however, you did say all theists...

What say you, Kingsy; do you suspect that there might be some who do it for "brownie points with god"?

I'm almost certain there are many religious folk who think that converting the unwashed will mark a notch on their celestial belt. In fact, I could probably cite such a notion from scripture. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-08-2014, 06:11 PM
(27-08-2014 03:02 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I think it's all based around fear. Fear is the deciding factor in whether or not you are a theist or non theist. They are so afraid of slipping into nothing and ceasing to be that they not only have to delude themselves into believing in the absurd.

Yup. That's pretty much the gist of it for most. But I'd be careful to distinguish "absurd" from The Absurd.

(27-08-2014 03:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Do you think this for all theists?

Nope. Only those that hang on for dear life to some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. We established early on that you don't.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-08-2014, 09:39 PM
(27-08-2014 03:02 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Why do you think theists try to convert others into their sect of whatever religion they are a part of?

I think it's all based around fear. Fear is the deciding factor in whether or not you are a theist or non theist. They are so afraid of slipping into nothing and ceasing to be that they not only have to delude themselves into believing in the absurd. Such as the pastor from Questioning Darwin film where he stats that if the bible said 2+2=5 and he would just accept it as true. No matter what the claim they are so afraid of dying and not existing that they will just believe in their fantasies. This comes true the more they actually believe it.

Now, how do you validate and bolster that belief and give more importance to it? The answer is quite simple really, It is to have larger numbers of people who agree with you. So, in order keep their fear in check even more, people try to convert or force conversion to others admit they believe. After all, the more people who agree with you, the more you can validate your claim as being true to yourself regardless of the fact of it being true or not. So, I think when theists try to convert others, It is simply a matter of them trying to suppress their fear even further by adding numbers to the people who agree with them.

To me, when a Christian tries to say that all they want is to save someone, I think that unbeknownst to them, that they are actually referring to themselves in the sense that they are trying to save themselves from their own fear.

And then some of them are just busybodies with nothing else to do. So, there's that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post