The regressive left.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: The regressive left.
I don't think I've ever encountered someone who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam. When I'm accused of being an apologist for radical Islam, it's usually when some ignorant person has made a straw-man argument or has pretended that a minority represents the whole. But without fail, it seems, if I try to stop them from mis-characterizing Muslims or broad-brushing them, then I'm practically an ISIS recruiter (or else a "glassy-eyed libtard who just can't understand" The Truth™).

The people he featured in that video are the extremists of whom I spoke, in my diatribe, above. The terms "safe space" and "trigger warning" make my face twitch, not only because of the way the new terminology was created to be used as a weapon (Bob help you if you don't know the exact right words to use!) to silence anyone who doesn't buy the arguments wholesale, but because the even worse sort of idiots on the side of Patriarchy use the term derisively to silence everyone who tries to advocate for a more humane and open society. It is hard for me not to feel violent when I'm trying to argue in favor of the rights of others, and some Cro-Magnon starts sneering, "What, are you TRIGGERED!?"

It's as misguided as trying to call atheists "Brights". All it did was open the door to ridicule and set back many of our steps toward legitimacy in American culture.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-06-2016, 07:16 PM
(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think I've ever encountered someone who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam.

Let me introduce you to Ben Affleck.

[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
07-06-2016, 07:45 PM
(07-06-2016 07:16 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think I've ever encountered someone who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam.

Who gives a fuck about Ben Affleck?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
07-06-2016, 07:56 PM
(07-06-2016 07:45 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Who gives a fuck about Ben Affleck?

Ben Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-06-2016, 08:21 PM
(07-06-2016 07:16 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Fallacious much? What are his credentials?

Yeah, I thought as much.
07-06-2016, 09:00 PM
(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think I've ever encountered someone who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam. When I'm accused of being an apologist for radical Islam, it's usually when some ignorant person has made a straw-man argument or has pretended that a minority represents the whole. But without fail, it seems, if I try to stop them from mis-characterizing Muslims or broad-brushing them, then I'm practically an ISIS recruiter (or else a "glassy-eyed libtard who just can't understand" The Truth™).

That is because you haven't been paying attention to those in europe.
http://politistick.com/facebook-now-cens...igration/#

Please tell me, do people have the right to be censored because people claim criticizing Islam is racist? So yes, people are censoring for Islam.

To add things like this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...-muhammad/

Now you may say it is rude to draw Muhammad and post it on facebook, but the thing is, there is no right not to be offended. What happened to draw muhammad day. A few years ago that was a big thing, I remember watching the atheist experience and they were talking about it.

(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  but because the even worse sort of idiots on the side of Patriarchy use the term derisively to silence everyone who tries to advocate for a more humane and open society.

Sorry to break your heart rocket but here are a few things.

A. In the west Patriarchy doesn't exist, and very little people support it. On top of that, people who do support the Patriarchy have been laughed out of the dialogue because of their stupidity.

If anything you should say it gives power to the right, and it does.

B. On what do you mean open and humane? Do you mean like how Sweden opened up its borders to Muslim immigrants, and is now destroying itself.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5108/s...iled-state

This is what happens when the regressive left takes control.

(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It is hard for me not to feel violent when I'm trying to argue in favor of the rights of others, and some Cro-Magnon starts sneering, "What, are you TRIGGERED!?"

Because I like you, and I am a shitlord myself, don't get angry when you see that. Your angry is what they are looking for. Also I am curious by what you mean by rights of others?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
08-06-2016, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 02:45 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(07-06-2016 09:00 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  That is because you haven't been paying attention to those in europe.
http://politistick.com/facebook-now-cens...igration/#

Please tell me, do people have the right to be censored because people claim criticizing Islam is racist? So yes, people are censoring for Islam.

I would suspect that they are afraid of inflaming far-right-wing elements in Europe, which is still terrified of seeing a rise in Neo-Nazi elements. Several European countries are falling under the far-right parties. While it is wrong to refer to people who criticize Islam as racist for that reason alone, there are many false criticisms made of Islam (especially already-culturally-assimilated, "western" Muslims who already live in the US and European nations) by people who hold views that portray them as irratonal, incapable of learning (as if they are children, based on only the behavior o ftheir most out-of-control, psychotic elements of the culture), and inherently violent and dreaming of Sharia law. They do exist, and in large numbers among the population-- enough that in some heavily-populated areas, we are seeing the emergence of enclaves of the medievalists in their culture, just as hardcore Orthodox Jews focus together in certain neighborhoods in New York.

A solution, I think, would be to pay to house refugees in places that are already-assimilated, and spread many out so that ghettoized concentrations may not form.

The critics are right: the radical Islamists (estimated at roughly 20% of the population, if I recall correctly from a previous discussion of this topic, here) hold values that the rest of our species has learned to find abhorrent, or at least trying to hold it so. I simply do not find the fact of a group of people willing to ignore civil (secular) law because of their medieval views, and who ignore that entering the new nation would require obedience to the laws, a sufficient reason to abandon a basic global humanitarian principle to which Western democracies are supposed to subscribe.

(07-06-2016 09:00 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Now you may say it is rude to draw Muhammad and post it on facebook, but the thing is, there is no right not to be offended. What happened to draw muhammad day. A few years ago that was a big thing, I remember watching the atheist experience and they were talking about it.

Um, I'll say right now: Muhammad was no more a Prophet than Joseph Smith. I do not respect that religion's crazy ideas about supernatural entities and events more than any other, which is to say zero. I'd love to draw him. Since I can't, I'll substitute:

[Image: rcrumbmotoon.jpg]

(07-06-2016 09:00 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Also I am curious by what you mean by rights of others?

I am a Humanist, sir.

http://americanhumanist.org/aha/issues

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declarati...an-rights/

I can only presume from the scorn that seems to underlie the question of "what do you mean by the rights of others" that you're about to pull a Heinlein-esque lecture on the nature of rights in a realistic universe, right?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
08-06-2016, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 03:09 AM by ClydeLee.)
(07-06-2016 05:03 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 12:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  What makes it the regressive left as opposed to y'know, just the left?

Well for starters it is to make sure we don't through all liberals and other left leaning people into one group. How fair would it be for me to say all people on the left are being regressive? Hell, the people in the video talking about how bad the regressive left is are in fact liberals.

The way people in this whole concept of arguments going around throwing around terms positively, negatively, or as some statement of what a is, is, continues in nonsensical rambling.

Maybe in everyone's own head they know what they mean but the way it's stated by everyone in their own head leaps out to no point of developing cohesion. The simplification attempts of just resorting to left/righting all topics without defined characteristics grasped to be at one hand or another certainly do help. If by regressive it's really mean authoritarian in action, I don't see the point of the term or any left/righting of the idea when it's not often relevant nor does the term really mean much other than a weak joke of, oh you say your progressive, no you regressive, haha. Well, it may of started nice but it's tiring to see such worthless label using just as tiring to others as it is to see "those" folks use bigot/racist so easily. To me it's not what those guys in the video think because the words MEAN so much, it's because in my view them mean so little.

(07-06-2016 09:00 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  B. On what do you mean open and humane? Do you mean like how Sweden opened up its borders to Muslim immigrants, and is now destroying itself.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5108/s...iled-state

This is what happens when the regressive left takes control.

What is Regressive left about this open boarder policy exactly? What is REGRESSIVE and LEFT element of this? Sweden's culture is at risk? that's conservative fear by definition... To protect the status quo/tradition is inherently by its definition, a conservative or right concept. The articles and points of that article writer in there are largely about dislike of the influence of money giving to roma or immigrants. Okay, so what does that have anything to do with something being left or regressive left in control? It's largely a persons fear of their "right" ways not being able to linger perpetually and stay as is.

It just takes me back to that back to the youtube guy in the opening video, the way he defined what he spoke out as the his approved way of liberalism carried a tone of following the set principles as they are... so, sticking to what is and has been worked towards? That's just a interestingly internally conservative answer to what liberalism is. Which is a strange claim. These terms are used despicably.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-06-2016, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 03:38 AM by Slowminded.)
(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think I've ever encountered someone who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam. When I'm accused of being an apologist for radical Islam, it's usually when some ignorant person has made a straw-man argument or has pretended that a minority represents the whole. But without fail, it seems, if I try to stop them from mis-characterizing Muslims or broad-brushing them, then I'm practically an ISIS recruiter (or else a "glassy-eyed libtard who just can't understand" The Truth™).

The people he featured in that video are the extremists of whom I spoke, in my diatribe, above. The terms "safe space" and "trigger warning" make my face twitch, not only because of the way the new terminology was created to be used as a weapon (Bob help you if you don't know the exact right words to use!) to silence anyone who doesn't buy the arguments wholesale, but because the even worse sort of idiots on the side of Patriarchy use the term derisively to silence everyone who tries to advocate for a more humane and open society. It is hard for me not to feel violent when I'm trying to argue in favor of the rights of others, and some Cro-Magnon starts sneering, "What, are you TRIGGERED!?"

It's as misguided as trying to call atheists "Brights". All it did was open the door to ridicule and set back many of our steps toward legitimacy in American culture.

I am not sure what your objection is? The term "regressive left" is meant to describe exactly the people you also recognize as extremists on the side of the left.

Although , you should be able to recognize that calling people who disagree with you when it comes to feminism "Idiots on the side of Patriarchy" is no different then them calling you "glassy-eyed libtard".
Unless you think that you are the one who has "The Truth" on your side by default.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
08-06-2016, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 03:59 AM by cactus.)
People who make strawmen out of "regressives" and whine about them are just as annoying to me than the "regressives" themselves. cough*thunderf00t*cough

Ample cherry picking happens on both sides of "PC culture" (as if there were only two sides)

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?