The regressive left.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2016, 11:15 AM
RE: The regressive left.
(08-06-2016 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  People seem to be offended by the "left" being the part of "regressive left" epithet, like , if you even suggest that something coming from the left might remotely be considered as bad their heads explode, even tho it is the "regressive" part that is bad.

Regressive: returning to a former or less developed state; characterized by regression.

Criticizing "regressive left" is not a critique of left in general, it is a critique of the extreme part of the left wing that advocates for policies that actually stifle individual rights and freedoms under the pretense of "greater good".

I think it's more apart of the magically seemingly declared good quality of zero efforted to be defined Left that's more disjointed.

Aren't by any solid definition a "left in general" so what the fuck that generic empty expression means in the minds of those saying things isn't interpretable.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2016, 11:21 AM
(08-06-2016 11:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think it's more apart of the magically seemingly declared good quality of zero efforted to be defined Left that's more disjointed.

Aren't by any solid definition a "left in general" so what the fuck that generic empty expression means in the minds of those saying things isn't interpretable.

English is not my first language , can you please refraze that in more simple terms?
I honestly have no idea what is it that you are asking me , and I don't want to misconstrue your words in any way.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
08-06-2016, 12:16 PM
(08-06-2016 11:21 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 11:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think it's more apart of the magically seemingly declared good quality of zero efforted to be defined Left that's more disjointed.

English is not my first language , can you please refraze that in more simple terms?
I honestly have no idea what is it that you are asking me , and I don't want to misconstrue your words in any way.
I just see these discussions being full of meaningless terms because things are just declared ways that presumably people would understand.

Policies of freedom of liberties or protections for the benefit of the greater good aren't a left or right things. The eloquence of actual poltical philosophy or reason for having positions is glossed over by labels.

Maybe there's some cues I miss but none of this makes sense to me because I don't grant the basic terms of left nor liberal as akin to libertarian or inherently reasonable.

These types of thread conversations don't make sense when looking beyond these blanket terms to me.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-06-2016, 12:45 PM
(07-06-2016 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 05:46 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If you think it's wrong to criticize Islam, you're part of the regressive left.

OK? Are there any precautions I need to take?

(07-06-2016 05:46 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If you think all pro-lifers are prolife because they want to control women's vaginas, you're part of it.

No. That's just stupid. Why would you even post that to me unless you see me as a idiot?

What makes you think my post was directed at you? I'm not addressing everyone on the left, I'm on the left. I'm addressing the "you don't have to right to say something I find offensive" left. Which is a growing sect and many would argue is becoming mainstream.

I don't think you're an idiot.
08-06-2016, 12:48 PM
(07-06-2016 07:45 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 07:16 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Let me introduce you to Ben Affleck.

Who gives a fuck about Ben Affleck?

Who gives a fuck about Old man marsh? Who gives a fuck about anybody or anything and what does that have to do with price of beans?

I never said anyone gave a fuck, I'm just using Benny to illustrate a phenomenon.
08-06-2016, 12:49 PM
(07-06-2016 08:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

Fallacious much? What are his credentials?

Yeah, I thought as much.

I haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about.
08-06-2016, 01:02 PM
(08-06-2016 10:02 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 05:46 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If you think it's wrong to criticize Islam, you're part of the regressive left.

If you think all pro-lifers are prolife because they want to control women's vaginas, you're part of it.

If you think it's wrong to label a 50 year old man who thinks he's a 6 year old girl, as mentally ill, etc.....

The new feminist wave, etc..all of it, it's authoritarian in nature and is the biggest threat to free speech.

Not that I agree with crowder, but he does a good job of illustrating the craziness.
What if one is a religious conservative and think it's wrong to criticize Islam because they view all religions as high on their purity or sanctity view of things.

Are they both a right and left person?

This is the thing that's so silly in scope about the term left or liberal. A reasonable person on the left vs an unreasonable person on the left is a bland abstraction.

A lot of self proclaimed liberals have abandoned liberal principles in favor of authoritarianism. This is not a criticism of all liberals, I am a liberal. That's all that I (and others) am trying to point out.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
08-06-2016, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 04:46 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(08-06-2016 12:49 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 08:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Fallacious much? What are his credentials?

Yeah, I thought as much.

I haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

(07-06-2016 07:16 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't think I've ever encountered someone who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam.

Let me introduce you to Ben Affleck.

[video deleted -- Thump]

I'm surprised I should have to explain my point to you, Matt. My point is that what Ben Affleck, an actor, thinks about the rectitude of criticizing a religion is irrelevant. Is he an expert on Islam? Is he an expert on any religion? No. He's no authority.

And appealing to vapid authority is a fallacy. He thinks it's wrong, and that's the simple riposte to Surgeon's point, but who fucking cares what he thinks? He is not an expert on the topic. Someone like me, who's lived about five years in Muslim countries, looks at someone like Affleck as a blowhard American who's had a cushy life and feels comfortable making pronouncements on shit he's ignorant about.

That was my point. He's no authority. You may as well have quoted Joe Bagadonuts from Shitsplat, Iowa.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-06-2016, 01:07 PM
It appears that a lot of people perhaps aren't up to speed on what's going on. Check out The Rubin Report and the liberal gay atheist will explain it for you.

I just found this guy, and I really haven't found much where I disagree with him.
08-06-2016, 01:12 PM
(08-06-2016 01:03 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 12:49 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

[video deleted -- Thump]

I'm surprised I should have to explain my point to you, Matt. My point is that what Ben Affleck, an actor, think about the rectitude of criticizing a religion is irrelevant. Is he an expert on Islam? Is he an expert on any religion? No. He's no authority.

And appealing to vapid authority is a fallacy. He thinks it's wrong, and that's the simple riposte to Surgeon's point, but who fucking cares what he thinks? He is not an expert on the topic. Someone like me, who's lived about five years in Muslim countries, looks at someone like Affleck as a blowhard American who's had a cushy life and feels comfortable making pronouncements on shit he's ignorant about.

That was my point. He's no authority. You may as well have quoted Joe Bagadonuts from Shitsplat, Iowa.

I still don't see what your problem is. I never said Ben Affleck is an authority. I just used him to illustrate a liberal who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam. I actually disagree with Ben and think he's being quite idiotic. That was the point of showing the video.

There are lots of videos addressing this issue, just do a google search or get on The Rubin Report.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post