The regressive left.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: The regressive left.
(08-06-2016 01:02 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 10:02 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What if one is a religious conservative and think it's wrong to criticize Islam because they view all religions as high on their purity or sanctity view of things.

Are they both a right and left person?

This is the thing that's so silly in scope about the term left or liberal. A reasonable person on the left vs an unreasonable person on the left is a bland abstraction.

A lot of self proclaimed liberals have abandoned liberal principles in favor of authoritarianism. This is not a criticism of all liberals, I am a liberal. That's all that I (and others) am trying to point out.

But that doesn't make sense.

Liberal and authoritarian aren't diametrically opposed concepts. Nor are they united.

This is the problem, there's no defining of liberal other than basically saying the bad proclaimed "other" positions. Liberal doesn't equal libertarian.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2016, 01:25 PM
(08-06-2016 01:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 01:02 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  A lot of self proclaimed liberals have abandoned liberal principles in favor of authoritarianism. This is not a criticism of all liberals, I am a liberal. That's all that I (and others) am trying to point out.

But that doesn't make sense.

Liberal and authoritarian aren't diametrically opposed concepts. Nor are they united.

This is the problem, there's no defining of liberal other than basically saying the bad proclaimed "other" positions. Liberal doesn't equal libertarian.

Ok, do you have any other questions? Or perhaps a follow up question? Or do you feel like I didn't address your question?

Not sure what you're looking for here....
08-06-2016, 03:50 PM
(08-06-2016 01:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Liberal and authoritarian aren't diametrically opposed concepts. Nor are they united.

By definition liberal ideals shouldn't even work with authoritarian ideas, demonstrated in the 60's 70's, and so on till this day where it was all about free speech and people saying what they want. The regressive left would be more like the religious right.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-06-2016, 03:53 PM
(08-06-2016 12:16 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-06-2016 11:21 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  English is not my first language , can you please refraze that in more simple terms?
I honestly have no idea what is it that you are asking me , and I don't want to misconstrue your words in any way.
I just see these discussions being full of meaningless terms because things are just declared ways that presumably people would understand.

Policies of freedom of liberties or protections for the benefit of the greater good aren't a left or right things. The eloquence of actual poltical philosophy or reason for having positions is glossed over by labels.

Maybe there's some cues I miss but none of this makes sense to me because I don't grant the basic terms of left nor liberal as akin to libertarian or inherently reasonable.

These types of thread conversations don't make sense when looking beyond these blanket terms to me.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

You are completely right , it doesn't make much , or at all , sense when you start looking beyond labels, but people (myself included Sad ) are lazy , they just want to recognize who is "on their team" without having to look beyond.

Quote:Policies of freedom of liberties or protections for the benefit of the greater good aren't a left or right things. The eloquence of actual poltical philosophy or reason for having positions is glossed over by labels.

True. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:Maybe there's some cues I miss but none of this makes sense to me because I don't grant the basic terms of left nor liberal as akin to libertarian or inherently reasonable.

Yeah, I think I can agree with that too, not sure tho, how many people here would also agree with that.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-06-2016, 04:51 PM
(08-06-2016 01:12 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I still don't see what your problem is. I never said Ben Affleck is an authority. I just used him to illustrate a liberal who thinks it's wrong to criticize Islam.

That's great.