The regret is already setting in

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2016, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 09:04 PM by evenheathen.)
RE: The regret is already setting in
(10-11-2016 08:28 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  What does your sociology degree tell you about the wisdom of taunting a large group of people who are frightened, frustrated and angry and have no viable outlet for those emotions?

I don't have a degree, but what this election has taught me about "taunting a large group of people who are frightened, frustrated and angry and have no viable outlet for those emotions" is that you just might end up with Trump as president.

Maybe we all need to take a step back and really look at what got us here.

My disappointment in this country on both sides of the isle is immense. I am both humbled and emboldened, but I am trying to be cautious about my thoughts and emotions, and trying to let my biggest asset as an aspiring humanist, empathy, be the first filter that I put my thoughts and emotions through.

I think I at least owe others, as well as myself that courtesy.

What has been done is done...so be it. We still have tomorrow to work towards.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like evenheathen's post
10-11-2016, 09:09 PM
(10-11-2016 08:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:28 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  What does your sociology degree tell you about the wisdom of taunting a large group of people who are frightened, frustrated and angry and have no viable outlet for those emotions?

I don't have a degree, but what this election has taught me about "taunting a large group of people who are frightened, frustrated and angry and have no viable outlet for those emotions" is that you just might end up with Trump as president.

My disappointment in this country on both sides of the isle is immense. I am both humbled and emboldened, but I am trying to be cautious about my thoughts and emotions, and trying to let my biggest asset as an aspiring humanist, empathy, be the first filter that I put my thoughts and emotions through.

This. Glad to here some one think about what to do instead of wanting to kill every white person.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
10-11-2016, 09:43 PM
I understand the anti-establishment sentiment that must have, at least in part, driven some folks to vote for Trump. But what bothers me so badly is the lack of critical thinking and the seeming ability to ignore the blatant racism and misogyny he has shown throughout his entire campaign. What bothers me is to see people vote for a party that has done nothing but left them worse off than they were before. And not only vote for them once, but again and again and again.

Around here, one of the big sticking points in deciding who one will vote for is the abortion issue. Unless people are saying one thing in public and thinking another in private, most people around here (Texas) think abortion equals straight up murder. And if a candidate is "for abortion" as they tend to term it, then they are an automatic no. That candidate is not even up for discussion. Doesn't matter how much else that candidate might do for them or help their station in life, they are "for" abortion and so they cannot abide them.

This is the problem that arises when you are trying to align all your actions to appease some invisible being in the sky that there is no good reason to believe in. I keep thinking if people would ditch these irrational religious beliefs that inevitably what will happen is that they will begin to care more about the here and now, about flesh-and-blood people, about other animals, about our planet, about our universe. But until they get past whatever it is keeping them from questioning their beliefs - whether it is downright fear or an abject failure of imagination or curiosity - then they are sort of stuck, and we along with them.

[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post
10-11-2016, 10:20 PM
(10-11-2016 08:16 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 07:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So how much did you win and what are you buying me?

Some manners? No wait, he didn't win enough for that. You'l have settle for a gift basket of exotic butters. Tongue

/joke

You can get gift baskets of exotic butter?
I want that.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-11-2016, 10:42 PM
(10-11-2016 09:43 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I understand the anti-establishment sentiment that must have, at least in part, driven some folks to vote for Trump. But what bothers me so badly is the lack of critical thinking and the seeming ability to ignore the blatant racism and misogyny he has shown throughout his entire campaign. What bothers me is to see people vote for a party that has done nothing but left them worse off than they were before. And not only vote for them once, but again and again and again.

Around here, one of the big sticking points in deciding who one will vote for is the abortion issue. Unless people are saying one thing in public and thinking another in private, most people around here (Texas) think abortion equals straight up murder. And if a candidate is "for abortion" as they tend to term it, then they are an automatic no. That candidate is not even up for discussion. Doesn't matter how much else that candidate might do for them or help their station in life, they are "for" abortion and so they cannot abide them.

This is the problem that arises when you are trying to align all your actions to appease some invisible being in the sky that there is no good reason to believe in. I keep thinking if people would ditch these irrational religious beliefs that inevitably what will happen is that they will begin to care more about the here and now, about flesh-and-blood people, about other animals, about our planet, about our universe. But until they get past whatever it is keeping them from questioning their beliefs - whether it is downright fear or an abject failure of imagination or curiosity - then they are sort of stuck, and we along with them.

I'm still trying to assimilate the sick feeling of a chump presidency. My wife is telling me to "respect the office", but I'm not going there. This guy makes dubya look intelligent. Try as I might, I'm trying to avoid the shit until I can get my head around the chump presidency. What I'm seeing is that a lot of his voters are actually fairly-well-paid white males who are concerned that they won't be the majority any more. Boo-fucking-hoo. Attempting to close the borders isn't going to work. I hope this made sense, I'm one tired and disappointed guy at this point. America, you have failed, in a bad way. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-11-2016, 11:51 PM
(10-11-2016 08:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

I agree with your sentiments and will happily work with those who would heal the divide that has split the US. Sadly, I fear that they will be in short supply. With control of the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches in their grasp there will be little incentive for compromise from across the aisle. With a polarizing leader such as Trump at their head I expect even less. We all know who spun that fear and hatred to such obscene levels.

I will not pretend that Trump is anything other than the most horrific individual to be elected in living memory. That was the Republicans' mistake and their everlasting shame. They are now the party of Dubya and Trump. Anybody gloating over that "achievement" is only deepening the divide for no sensible reason.

God Forgive America

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
11-11-2016, 12:23 AM
(10-11-2016 11:51 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I agree with your sentiments and will happily work with those who would heal the divide that has split the US. Sadly, I fear that they will be in short supply. With control of the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches in their grasp there will be little incentive for compromise from across the aisle. With a polarizing leader such as Trump at their head I expect even less. We all know who spun that fear and hatred to such obscene levels.

I will not pretend that Trump is anything other than the most horrific individual to be elected in living memory. That was the Republicans' mistake and their everlasting shame. They are now the party of Dubya and Trump. Anybody gloating over that "achievement" is only deepening the divide for no sensible reason.

God Forgive America

I don't disagree, but right now is where we need to choose to go forward with perhaps a different perspective.

Maybe we can win the argument without continuing to contribute to the divisive nature of the current discourse. I have no idea how to do that exactly at this point, but I'm pretty sure that we're going to have to if any of this shit is going to get better.

We need a better conversation, by everybody. We need it now.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
11-11-2016, 12:33 AM
(10-11-2016 04:11 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 03:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hey Vosur, weren't you putting money on this election? $1,000.
Guess why I'm sitting here gloating at all the people who told me that I'm throwing my money away because Trump will never win. Tongue

I told everyone I know to put money on him winning and they wouldn't fucking listen. Dodgy
11-11-2016, 01:33 AM
(10-11-2016 10:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 08:16 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Some manners? No wait, he didn't win enough for that. You'l have settle for a gift basket of exotic butters. Tongue

/joke

You can get gift baskets of exotic butter?
I want that.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
11-11-2016, 01:35 AM
(10-11-2016 10:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm still trying to assimilate the sick feeling of a chump presidency. My wife is telling me to "respect the office", but I'm not going there.

Fuck that. What has respect gotten us so far? What has concession, negotiation, and bargaining across the aisle done? They stomped their feet like petulant children, did nothing but block and obfuscate progress for the sake of contrarianism, and they got the keys to the kingdom for it.

Fuck compromise. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]