The rejection of choices that were made for you and without your consent.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 08:55 AM
The rejection of choices that were made for you and without your consent.
When I was a baby my Catholic parents had me baptised. Even from a very young age (like 4?) I realized that I didn't believe in God and the entire thing seemed very silly to me. He-Man and Voltron seemed much more plausible, actually. Smile

Anyway, people on /r/atheism over on Reddit always make a big deal about getting their baptism formally revoked, or whatever the technical term for something like that would be.

How does somebody actually go about getting UN-baptized? It's not as though I had any say in the matter - I was a frickin' baby.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2012, 11:52 AM
RE: The rejection of choices that were made for you and without your consent.
I think the same technique to remove "cooties" can be utilized.
Take a bar of soap and perform the cleansing ritual of taking a bath or shower.
That film of baptism should come right off.

Of course if you truly believe that being dunked under the water by some old guy in a church actually did something to you, then there is nothing you really can do to get that out of your head.

Perhaps a frontal lobotomy is in order ? But I prefer a bottle in front of me Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
28-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't feel that it did anything to me, but by taking the time to go tell the church "hey, I reject this" does send a message.
28-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Through the power of the internet, I hereby un-baptize you.

For an extra $5 in the paypal account I can remove the curse that someone put on you when you were 12.
I'm sure you remember tripping over yourself around girls at this time and found it hard to talk to them along the river walk.
The curse is still with you, laying dormant. It could rise up any day now and make you say something silly to a close friend who will look at you strangely.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
28-06-2012, 12:50 PM
(28-06-2012 12:42 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Through the power of the internet, I hereby un-baptize you.

For an extra $5 in the paypal account I can remove the curse that someone put on you when you were 12.
I'm sure you remember tripping over yourself around girls at this time and found it hard to talk to them along the river walk.
The curse is still with you, laying dormant. It could rise up any day now and make you say something silly to a close friend who will look at you strangely.

lol

Thanks for that, I feel so much better. Wink
28-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I always never understood this concept.

If you completely reject the existence of God, then your baptism meant nothing... why are you trying to recant something that doesn't exist?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
28-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I will go a step further an un-baptize every person who has ever lived throughout all time past, present and future.

Tell your future descendents that I said "You're Welcome"

[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
28-06-2012, 01:07 PM
(28-06-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I always never understood this concept.

If you completely reject the existence of God, then your baptism meant nothing... why are you trying to recant something that doesn't exist?

I agree with KC, I was baptiized as a baby, I had nothing to do with the planning or implementation. I my mind it doesn't mean anything since I do not believe a deity exists.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
28-06-2012, 01:07 PM
(28-06-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I always never understood this concept.

They're just kidding. Silly guy.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
28-06-2012, 02:02 PM
This is actually what brought me here. I saw a report on some dingleberry who was doing un-baptisms. He put on mock vestments and did a thoroughly unfunny parody monologue and blasted people with a hair dryer. I thought... not very highly of it... but somewhere in there there was a link to this site. Little did I know that this place was like quicksand Cool

If it meant nothing, people should move on. But some people feel the need to protest so they have to do something against it. I think just moving on is healthier, for a number of reasons, but to each their own.

Quote:Now protesting is partially constructive, since it preserves some semblance of will by asserting it negatively – I know what I am against even if I cannot specifically know what I am for...

This gradually empties the will of content; you always are the shadow of your adversary, waiting for him to move so that you can move yourself. Sooner or later, your will becomes hollow…
(May, Love and Will, p 192 + 193)

In terms of having it done to you as a child, parents do all kinds of things without their kid's permission. You think you have it rough?

Quote:Land of anger
I didn't ask to be born
-Sepultura, "Dead Embryonic Cells"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post