The rejection of choices that were made for you and without your consent.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 02:10 PM
RE: The rejection of choices that were made for you and without your consent.
(28-06-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I always never understood this concept.

If you completely reject the existence of God, then your baptism meant nothing... why are you trying to recant something that doesn't exist?

I understand completely, and while it doesn't mean anything to me personally it DOES mean something to the church. I'd like to think that somewhere there is some church-fellow with a big Excel spreadsheet open, adding names of those baptised to a list of "membership" of some kind and then a letter comes down that says "remove this line from the list".

It's not at all because I take baptism seriously or anything, it's more about making a statement and correcting something that I felt was done in error and without my consent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I was officially "Un-Baptized" by my local chapter of American Humanists Association (AHA). It was a great time! We had lectures, drinks and live entertainment by Greydon Square. I got an official certificate of my un-baptism and had tons of fun with a lot of like minded individuals. I would encourage anyone to seek out their local American Humanists Association via meetup.com and suggest a similar event.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
(28-06-2012 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I always never understood this concept.

If you completely reject the existence of God, then your baptism meant nothing... why are you trying to recant something that doesn't exist?

(10-07-2012 09:30 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I was officially "Un-Baptized" by my local chapter of American Humanists Association (AHA). It was a great time! We had lectures, drinks and live entertainment by Greydon Square. I got an official certificate of my un-baptism and had tons of fun with a lot of like minded individuals. I would encourage anyone to seek out their local American Humanists Association via meetup.com and suggest a similar event.

For the fun of it. ... duh.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Depends. If you were catholic you're stuck with us forever MUHAHAHAHAAHAHAA

in the catholic church we believe in one baptism and that's it you're baptized for life.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
12-07-2012, 05:48 AM
For me it as a bottle of scotch and a couple of hookers.
That seemed to do it nicely.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
12-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Grassy Knoll Wrote:I would encourage anyone to seek out their local American Humanists Association via meetup.com and suggest a similar event.

But not those shitheads at the Humanist Association of America (HAA). And especially not those fucking assholes at the Association of American Humanists (AAH!).

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
12-07-2012, 02:49 PM

That's why I thought this topic was going to be about something entirely different at first. My impression was it would talk about circumcision!

Can I get Uncircumcised? I didn't make a choice on that one being a baby and all.(Although, I had a friend in school who told us he got circumcised at 9, which sounds horrible. His family was Muslim and from Turkey so I'm not sure if that's common or not.)

I did see on Penn & Teller: BULLSHIT!! That there are ways people can get uncircumcised. Either medically or by some method this guy did of causing his current skin to re-stretch over his penile head.

On the otherside, I believe Bill Mahr will give you an unbaptism. He did for Mitt Romney's dead father-in-law.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I was baptized in the Catholic church, received communion, and was later confirmed. It's what we did. I didn't really give it any thought until you brought it up.

The only thing that bugged me about any of it was that I had to be given a Biblical name when I received my first communion because my parents had the nerve to name me after my great grandmother and I don't even have a Biblical middle name. What were they thinking? It kind of ticks me off that the control is so great you even have to rename your child. Don't know if they still do that.

Baptism didn't hurt me, doesn't hurt me now...don't see any great need to go through some ritual to have it undone...I have been away from the church for so long that I doubt it cares either.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM

"Always never" ? No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
(12-07-2012 03:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Baptism didn't hurt me, doesn't hurt me now...don't see any great need to go through some ritual to have it undone...I have been away from the church for so long that I doubt it cares either.
Oh, they care. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. Evil_monster

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]