The resurrection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 01:21 PM
RE: The resurrection
(23-02-2017 01:17 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Cisgender is the proper clinical term. At least that's the term the people who publish on pubmed use.

Wow. There's a shitload of different gradations.

Gender - denotes the public (and usually legally recognized) lived role as boy or girl, man or woman. Biological factors combined with social and psychological factors contribute to gender development.
Assigned gender - refers to a person’s initial assignment as male or female at birth. It is based on the child’s genitalia and other visible physical sex characteristics.
Gender-atypical - refers to physical features or behaviors that are not typical of individuals of the same assigned gender in a given society.
Gender-nonconforming - refers to behaviors that are not typical of individuals with the same assigned gender in a given society.
Gender reassignment - denotes an official (and usually legal) change of gender.
Gender identity - is a category of social identity and refers to an individual’s identification as male, female or, occasionally, some category other than male or female. It is one’s deeply held core sense of being male, female, some of both or neither, and does not always correspond to biological sex.
Gender dysphoria - as a general descriptive term refers to an individual’s discontent with the assigned gender. It is more specifically defined when used as a diagnosis.
Transgender - refers to the broad spectrum of individuals who transiently or persistently identify with a gender different from their gender at birth. (Note: the term transgendered is not generally used.)
Transsexual - refers to an individual who seeks, or has undergone, a social transition from male to female or female to male. In many, but not all, cases this also involves a physical transition through cross-sex hormone treatment and genital surgery (sex reassignment surgery).
Genderqueer - blurring the lines around gender identity and sexual orientation. Genderqueer individuals typically embrace a fluidity of gender identity and sometimes sexual orientation.
Gender fluidity - having different gender identities at different times.
Agendered - ‘without gender,’ individuals identifying as having no gender identity.
Cisgender - describes individuals whose gender identity or expression aligns with the sex assigned to them at birth.
Gender expansiveness - conveys a wider, more flexible range of gender identity and/or expression than typically associated with the binary gender system.
Gender expression - the manner in which a person communicates about gender to others through external means such as clothing, appearance, or mannerisms. This communication may be conscious or subconscious and may or may not reflect their gender identity or sexual orientation.

Genderqueer makes me giggle. I have no idea what it means but it makes me giggle. I think there's more than one in there that seem to imply consorting with farm animals.

naw- they don't imply anything beastial, Girly Laugh out load

But yes, there are a lot of terms.

God this thread is so derailed. I'm sorry folks!

At least now it's about something real! The resurrection was getting kind of boring anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-02-2017, 01:26 PM
(23-02-2017 01:17 PM)Emma Wrote:  God this thread is so derailed. I'm sorry folks!

Derailing is not really frowned upon from my experience (I mean as a chronic derailer). If the original thread is worth a damn it will rerail itself, if it doesn't, well then it wasn't worth the bother.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-02-2017, 01:33 PM
(23-02-2017 01:21 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 01:17 PM)Emma Wrote:  naw- they don't imply anything beastial, Girly Laugh out load

But yes, there are a lot of terms.

God this thread is so derailed. I'm sorry folks!

At least now it's about something real! The resurrection was getting kind of boring anyway.

Well, it really is about a resurrection...kineo went missing and came back as Emma.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
23-02-2017, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 01:39 PM by Vera.)
(23-02-2017 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think there's more than one in there that seem to imply consorting with farm animals.

Oh no, Girly, you didn't! Now I just have to! This has got to be one of my most favourite QI bits ever (hopefully clip starts at relevant bit)

"What key role did a Puritan pig play in the trial of George Spencer in 1641?
This, on the other hand, is a Puritan world and I would remind you of Leviticus 20:15 Not eating pork, presumably? No, "If a man lie with a beast, "he shall surely be put to death, and ye shall slay the beast."
- He laid with a pig!
- Did George have his end away with a piece of pork? He just fancied a bit of crackling, that's all! It's even unfairer than that.
- It so happened that George was a rather ugly fellow, who was bald and had one eye, and one day a sow farrowed, I think is the word, a litter of piglets, one of whom was strikingly similar to George, and had one eye, and so George was immediately put in front of the Puritan court, accused of having lain with the pig.
- He didn't have the chance to get a super injunction.
- Disgraceful! He denied it strenuously, as you might! Typically, Puritans then said, "There shall be mercy shown, "should you be open and honest.
" So he thought, "If I say yes they'll let me off", so he said, "I laid with the pig", and they said, "The mercy will be shown by the Lord, but not by us.
" For there to be a capital offence there had to be two witnesses, so they included the pig.
So they brought the pig into the trial to speak against itself, or squeak against itself, and both George and the pig were executed.
- Both got the chop.
- Both got the chop! - Did the pig shyly look at George, in a kind of I-remember-that-night way I think the whole thing was just The pig came in and said, "That bastard, he never rang LAUGHTER "."

(Emma, this is probably the one thing I truly love about this place - threads are normally allowed to go whichever way people take them, just like conversations work in real life Yes Cf Girly's post above and me, quoting him as final authority on this subject Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-02-2017, 01:53 PM
(23-02-2017 01:00 PM)Emma Wrote:  Okay. I'm meant no offense by the term, I'm sorry about that.

That's okay, no probs. Smile

Quote:... yet you yourself said you identify as "heterosexual gender-normative"- or, what I hear is - a "normal straight person".

Nope; I never used the coupled phrase "heterosexual gender-normative"—I actually said heterosexual OR gender-normative. Please don't twist my words.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-02-2017, 02:52 PM
(23-02-2017 01:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
Quote:... yet you yourself said you identify as "heterosexual gender-normative"- or, what I hear is - a "normal straight person".

Nope; I never used the coupled phrase "heterosexual gender-normative"—I actually said heterosexual OR gender-normative. Please don't twist my words.

Ok. But, since cisgender and gender-normativity are pretty much synonyms, why does cisgender offend you so much? I'm genuinely curious. You said it was condescending for me to use the prefix cis to refer to non-trans individuals and proceeded to educate me as if I do not know what it means, but you won't tell me why it bothers you. Just because you don't like marginalized groups applying labels to non-marginalized groups?

I can tell you why certain words bother me, and why I won't identify with them. It's usually because they are used to further marginalize and oppress people like me or other marginalized groups. Non-trans people are not oppressed as a group, so please- since you essentially said what I did was condescending- tell me: Why are you offended?
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
23-02-2017, 03:00 PM
I'd seen cis-gender but wasn't exactly certain what it referred to.

I'm not certain I care for gender-normative ... it seems weirdly confining. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-02-2017, 03:14 PM
(23-02-2017 03:00 PM)kim Wrote:  I'd seen cis-gender but wasn't exactly certain what it referred to.

I'm not certain I care for gender-normative ... it seems weirdly confining. Dodgy

Gender nonconforming is my favorite. So what you're saying is that Girly is not allowed to dress up as Sailor Moon anymore? uh huh, yup, got it. Hold on a sec, lemme go change.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Wikipedia has some interesting critiques of the word cisgender:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender
23-02-2017, 03:22 PM
(23-02-2017 01:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 12:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think there's more than one in there that seem to imply consorting with farm animals.

Oh no, Girly, you didn't! Now I just have to! This has got to be one of my most favourite QI bits ever (hopefully clip starts at relevant bit)

Someone should tell FreeMantle they're not acting very free.
[Image: fremantle_zpsotlyyrpj.png]

But if it was like that episode of Black Mirror where the British Prime Minister fucked a pig then yeah, I hear you.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post