The right to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Sad The right to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance
I happened to be watching an episode of Family Feud and in answer to the question 'What disrespectful things do people do during the Pledge of Allegiance?' one of the responses was 'don't participate'.

What?

You (the generic you) have the option to stand there quietly and respectfully and not say the pledge. I greatly dislike the pledge and I hate the fact kids in school are expected to say it. When I was in high school I stopped saying it. I stood, quietly, no hand on heart or any of that stuff, and waited for it to be over, then I sat back down like everyone else.

Since when does not participating in a thing you don't agree with (the pledge, religioin, etc) mean you're disrespecting it. If I'd stood there (or sat there!) and made faces or sang stupid songs or threw things at people, yeah, that's disrespectful (whether or not anybody's saying a thing). But simply not saying it? What's wrong with people?

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
RE: The right to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance
I think people that take things like this seriously take anything but complete and utter compliance as rebuking their beliefs. It's a moronic way to look at things but we've never had a short supply of that.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
I hate the pledge as well. I don't agree with it. The country you live in should require nothing of you. If it is a country worthy of an allegiance then it will have it, otherwise, sorry. That's my feelings on it. Personally I think The Pledge of Allegiance is a slap in the face to the freedom and liberties that our country was founded on. That's my two cents.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Was that reply on the board?

I'm not sure why your're shocked that there are people who think it's disrespectful to not participate in the POA. What country are you from?

It's not that serious. Some stuff you just gotta let go with a chuckle.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah, what's next? Some american who is afflicted like Stephen Hawking is disrespectfull because he won't stand up and put his hand over his heart?

The pledge is fascinating.
There's only a few countries on this planet that do this.
The USA only shares traditions as this with the severe dictatorships like north Korea (and we're not even certain about them).
It really goes to show that there's a very fine line between patriotism and totalitarianism or a state-centered theocracy.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
06-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I had a teacher that forced us to say the pledge, and we could only be excused if we had a parent sign it off for religious reasons. : /

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Same can be said about citizenship.
I'm a dutch national by birth, but because I will be living in Belgium for several years (after 5 I believe) I will get a citizenship, just like that. No pledging loyalty and forsaking all others, like an american citizenship demands of you.
I couldn't even imagine doing that.
I don't love the country where I was born (or the one I live in now) but to actively denounce them and declare fealty to a state seems impossible to do, while grasping all the consequences.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I haven't sung the Canadian anthem since I was little, and the last time I stood for it was high school. I am a patriot, but I do not feel obligated to take part in such practices. What I hear all the time is that it is insulting to veterans who fought for the country, and there are plenty of cartoons about that, but I think that is misguided. They didn't fight for the flag, the anthem, or the Queen. They fought for the people - their families, their neighbours, the community in general and the way of life they held dear. I have a lot of respect for veterans - I just don't feel these rituals are a good way of showing it or practicing the freedom we always say they fought for. To be forced to take part in some inane ritual or else be ostracized is the opposite of freedom.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Also, no student is forced to do it and most schools in the country don't do it at all.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I remember the last wedding I went to. The woman presiding over the thing was giving a God Is Love prayer after asking everyone to bow their heads. I didn't, and to be fair, I had a look on my face that made it plain that I thought everyone around me was being foolish, but 2 or 3 people were giving me the evil eye for not staring at the floor. KidCharlemagne has the right of it. It does bug you a little more knowing it's not their sky-king's own words in The Pledge, yet they still look at you like they'd appreciate it if you'd leave!