The right to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: The right to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance
I say the pledge...I just leave out the words 'under God' and make no big deal of it.

As for soldiers not fighting for the flag...the flag is a symbol of their family, friends, neighbors, communities, etc.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
(06-06-2013 03:31 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I remember the last wedding I went to. The woman presiding over the thing was giving a God Is Love prayer after asking everyone to bow their heads. I didn't, and to be fair, I had a look on my face that made it plain that I thought everyone around me was being foolish, but 2 or 3 people were giving me the evil eye for not staring at the floor. KidCharlemagne has the right of it. It does bug you a little more knowing it's not their sky-king's own words in The Pledge, yet they still look at you like they'd appreciate it if you'd leave!

I hear people tell these stores all the time. I live in an extremely intolerant city in the bible belt and not once in all the times I've kept my head up during prayer has anyone ever looked at me funny or questioned why I didn't. I can't help but wonder if the people telling your story are really just attention whores who are making up things to complain about.

j/s

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
That's when I pretend to be Canadian and just visiting Wink

No seriously, I just leave off god. It doesn't belong there.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-06-2013, 03:44 PM
(06-06-2013 03:34 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 03:31 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I remember the last wedding I went to. The woman presiding over the thing was giving a God Is Love prayer after asking everyone to bow their heads. I didn't, and to be fair, I had a look on my face that made it plain that I thought everyone around me was being foolish, but 2 or 3 people were giving me the evil eye for not staring at the floor. KidCharlemagne has the right of it. It does bug you a little more knowing it's not their sky-king's own words in The Pledge, yet they still look at you like they'd appreciate it if you'd leave!

I hear people tell these stores all the time. I live in an extremely intolerant city in the bible belt and not once in all the times I've kept my head up during prayer has anyone ever looked at me funny or questioned why I didn't. I can't help but wonder if the people telling your story are really just attention whores who are making up things to complain about.

j/s

I don't know what it's like to be given the evil eye for not pledging allegiance to the flag; it's been quite some time since I've been required to recite it. But at my older brother's last wedding, a woman in the pew in front of me kept turning around to look me in the eyes - consternation in hers, and one of the bride's maids was doing the same from up on the steps, both with mean looks. Maybe the city you live in isn't nearly as intolerant as you believe! This happened to me.

06-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Interesting... I was never forced to do the pledge, since I'm in Canada, but I was forced to not sing its national anthem.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
(06-06-2013 04:02 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Interesting... I was never forced to do the pledge, since I'm in Canada, but I was forced to not sing its national anthem.

Makes me wonder how much the 'thou shalt not have other gods before me' factored into the whole 'under God' being put into the American Pledge of Allegiance...hadn't thought of that before. Kind of stuck in there to cover all the bases? hmmmm....

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, i think it's the sort of "you're either with us, or against us" mentality, and to show others you're with them, you're expected to never even question rituals like this. Indeed, i think a lot of them really do think if you question them, it means you hate the country and then they think you're a horrible asshole.

I'm not a fan of the pledge. When I was in school, I usually mumbled along with most of it, but took my hand off my heart and didn't say the words "under god."

I'm not a fan of patriotism in general. What I really hate is, if I say that, people who say "other countries have it worse blah blah." That doesn't mean I have to blindly support everything the gov't does and participate in pointless rituals and reverence for a piece of cloth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
06-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I've never really thought it was a big deal either way. This shit is funny though.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
(06-06-2013 03:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As for soldiers not fighting for the flag...the flag is a symbol of their family, friends, neighbors, communities, etc.

Yes, but the country isn't the flag, or the anthem, or the name. The country is people. The flag represents them, but it could be any flag. It could be someone's bra on a pole. They fight for the people that make the country, not the symbols chosen to represent them. The problem is that people don't distinguish between the symbols and the people that they represent. When someone does not say the pledge, it is taken as a personal insult, when all it really is, is someone not saying some words.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
(06-06-2013 04:02 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Interesting... I was never forced to do the pledge, since I'm in Canada, but I was forced to not sing its national anthem.

Yeah, but nobody actually sings along Wink.

In theory, mind, Canada's actually more explicitly religious, which I do find kind of funny (it is the Dominion of Canada - we're named after a damn bible verse!). God has always been in the anthem (just a generic 'God' in the English; the French has a line about 'wielding the cross') and on the money (D.G.) and so forth.

They should bring back the Nazi salute that went with the Pledge originally. That'd really liven it up.