The right to decide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2012, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 06:37 PM by Dom.)
RE: The right to decide
Assisted suicide is legal here in Oregon. You have to have a terminal illness and be of sound mind. Then you go to a doc and get some pills. You take them whenever you want - or not.

If you end up in the hospital without a Living Will (this is only about machines, whether they can attach this or that machine to you) AND a DNR (do not resuscitate), and without an advocate (spouse etc) you are screwed.

You best have all 3, then the advocate can help by keeping them to him/herself until the right moment and then whipping them out. You don't want to be left to die of something that can be healed perfectly while using a machine or resuscitating you first. If they have it on file (they ask when you check in), then they have to follow it even when it makes no sense.

You can add clauses to the living will and you should spell everything out very clearly. They do read it, and if it is clear what you want and signed properly, they will do as you say.

I am a big advocate of the Right to Die. It takes the fear out of death for most people. And, if you do have a lethal disease, who wants to live out their life in fear of what will happen to you? You may never want to pop your pills, but you don't know that until you get there. It is calming to know you are still in control of your life.

I was an advocate for my husband as well as my mom. They both needed me sorely. They both would have been screwed without me.

There really should be such a thing as an advocate you can rent. When hospitalized for any reason, there will be times when you are not able to make decisions, and unexpected things can happen and necessitate immediate decisions. If you don't want docs to make them for you, you need an advocate to parrot your wishes. The advocate also should ask about every medication you get and patrol what they administer. Mistakes are made, advocates can prevent them.

Why would we prevent people from choosing whether to live or die given certain circumstances in an overpopulated world?

Leela, why on earth don't you want a blood transfusion? I would have died right in the prime of my life if I had not had a lot of them then.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2012, 05:54 AM
earmuffs, I absolutely disagree on the point that you made about only wanting to commit suicide if you are mentally ill. There are many reasons why you might consider this with a clear and healthy mind.
I am reading a book on the topic of suicide and actually on techniques about how to do it. It has a lot about law in it, stories from family members or neighbors who assisted passively, letters from people who did it and explained why. (not giving title here as it is not underage save)
And it made very clear to me that there can be tons of reasons.
One example was a 75 year old couple. They had attended workshops and started preparing. They said, they had a good life, they did everything they wanted to do in their lives, they had grown up children, they prepared themselves and their family. The reason why they did it in the end was, they wanted to die in dignity and knew that this would not be happening in case they would have gotten ill from age at some point, because doctors won't let you go even though you might tell them to.
I found that a very good reason.

Dom: I would take my husband's blood, he has the same group, but I do not want it from other people. I do not trust the tests and doctors enough to let them decide what blood I get. A test can be wrong and suddenly I get a desease from a blood transfusion. Or the doctors don't have a big choice but giving me an untested bag and dang, I get something.
I used to donate blood regulary because other people are different and might want it and need it.
Another reason I don't want to, is still from my times as a witch, I think. My believe was that in every part of your body there is your personality, part of your soul. And by receiving a blood transfusion I would get part of the soul of another person, which I did not want. Although I don't believe in this anymore, I still hesitate...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2012, 07:02 AM
(23-07-2012 05:54 AM)Leela Wrote:  Dom: I would take my husband's blood, he has the same group, but I do not want it from other people. I do not trust the tests and doctors enough to let them decide what blood I get. A test can be wrong and suddenly I get a desease from a blood transfusion. Or the doctors don't have a big choice but giving me an untested bag and dang, I get something.
I used to donate blood regulary because other people are different and might want it and need it.
Another reason I don't want to, is still from my times as a witch, I think. My believe was that in every part of your body there is your personality, part of your soul. And by receiving a blood transfusion I would get part of the soul of another person, which I did not want. Although I don't believe in this anymore, I still hesitate...

You need to get off that blood prejudice. It's irrational and it can kill you.

They don't tend to give you blood unless it is absolutely necessary for your survival. If at that time you consciously decide to die rather than risk that you might get some of the very small percentage of infected blood, it's a conscious choice for death. But to decide ahead of time - then you are stuck with it and have to die, like it or not.

Also, since aids burst on the scene they test all blood a whole lot more carefully and the chances of catching something are minute.

I think you are just rationalizing your old belief and it's a dangerous thing. It's also nonsense and you know it. I had countless transfusions back then, probably all the blood in me is from other people. It's been 20 years and it hasn't caused me any anything yet. I wouldn't be here to talk to you without the transfusions.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post