The rule of the diminishing returning needs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 06:41 AM by Observer.)
The rule of the diminishing returning needs
Imagine this:

I'm in an unlit room that has no windows.
Someone lights a 15 Watt light-bulb.
I'm happy with that! I sure am. Now I can see the furniture, walk around without tripping over the dog. My "happy" meter goes to 50% or so
That same person lights up another 15Watt light bulb.
Great!, now I read the newspaper's funnies as well. My "happy" meter says 75%
Another 15Watt bulb gets lit.
I can read the fine-print of my prescription medicine (So THATS that itch)
Happy meter --> 85%
after some more bulbs I have enough light to live my life.

Now....
I am pretty sure that after 100 bulbs are lit my happy meter will drop to 0 again...
Why?
It gets damn hot in there and my eyes are hurting like hell!

The same counts for e.g. shoes
No shoes: cold feet
1 pair: handy
2 pairs: you can swap for a dry pair after the rain
3 pairs: Allright
4 pairs: I'm going to need some storage
50 pairs: I need to get rid of this junk

I think this rule of thumb is something that we spoiled westerners don't apply enough.
More is always better! I confess! I's been only the last 5 years that I saw the silliness of this reasoning.

The last years I often ask myself questions,
Do I really need that new I-phone, that kitchen mixer, that faster computer?
Am I really happier with an extra large portion fries?
Won't owning a personal RV be more burden then pleasure?
Even...
Do I really want a raise?

I also think that the same counts for things on the softer side of life. Like knowledge or intimate friendships.
Do you really need to know all the evil in the world? Isn't some enough?
Does having a 10'th extra friend in my life really contributes to the other relationships? Isn't having 3 really deep friendships enough?

Anyway...
10 years ago I never thought I might ever say that but...
I'm happy with what I got. Giving me more tips my happy meter down.

Thanks for reading and sharing thoughts.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Observer's post
02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
RE: The rule of the diminishing returning needs
I feel you. I've been growing increasingly agitated at the amount of stuff my fiancee and I have accumulated. So you know what we decided to do? Let some of it go! We have 3+ bookshelves FULL of books, and we decided that instead of hoarding them, let them go! We're not selling them, what we're doing is offering them for free. Now, there are a few I'm keeping, some favorites and such. You'll not find me parting with my Stephen King collection, and most of my small philosophy library will be kept for reference. Also, certain classics EVERYONE should just own. But if we have a book that we've both read and neither is particularly attached to, we're more than willing to just give it to somebody who will treat it well. I feel I must say, this was partially inspired by Stark_Raving's generous gift to a certain JV, but I think it fits us well. We want to spread knowledge and joy to others who love reading.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
[+] 2 users Like cfhmagnet's post
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I could think why you want a raise, to put it into a bank account that is to be given to a charity(ies) of your choosing when you die, so that way you give money PLUS interest to your charity, even if they have to wait a little.
02-04-2011, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2011 03:07 PM by Observer.)
(02-04-2011 02:52 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  I could think why you want a raise, to put it into a bank account that is to be given to a charity(ies) of your choosing when you die, so that way you give money PLUS interest to your charity, even if they have to wait a little.
*Risking to step into a sarcasm trap* Wink
Sure, on the other hand,
1) Getting a raise will automatically raise the expectations of my employer as well.
2) Ever since the 60's lives's cost has -i believe- more then 5 doubled. Not because everyone refused a raise. (au contraire)
3) Of course you need money. Of course a raise is nice. And, -lets not be a hypocrite here- I accepted the raise. But did i really NEED it? (I put the extra on a bank account so my daughter can go to college)

You know what I'd rather have? Shorter workdays.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
(02-04-2011 02:26 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I feel you. I've been growing increasingly agitated at the amount of stuff my fiancee and I have accumulated. So you know what we decided to do? Let some of it go! We have 3+ bookshelves FULL of books, and we decided that instead of hoarding them, let them go! We're not selling them, what we're doing is offering them for free. Now, there are a few I'm keeping, some favorites and such. You'll not find me parting with my Stephen King collection, and most of my small philosophy library will be kept for reference. Also, certain classics EVERYONE should just own. But if we have a book that we've both read and neither is particularly attached to, we're more than willing to just give it to somebody who will treat it well. I feel I must say, this was partially inspired by Stark_Raving's generous gift to a certain JV, but I think it fits us well. We want to spread knowledge and joy to others who love reading.

Wow. You just totally made my day! I am so glad something I shared could help inspire something something you did. Even just having a tiny part in that makes me feel great!!

Thank you.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Hmm - I've noticed the same with videogames on my machine. I love playing them , but when I have so many installed that my hard disk can no longer take them , and I play one for a few minutes but then get bored - maybe I am over-doing it.
I never heard this rule before. But maybe having too much is making me miserable. I'll have to ponder on that.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 10:40 AM by TrainWreck.)
eLibrary
(02-04-2011 02:26 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  We have 3+ bookshelves FULL of books, and we decided that instead of hoarding them, let them go! We're not selling them, what we're doing is offering them for free. Now, there are a few I'm keeping, some favorites and such. . . We want to spread knowledge and joy to others who love reading.
Did you get an eReader, yet?

Wait till you try to make a library for that stuff, just use the BISAC list - it's what the booksellers use. When you want to get more detail - try using the Library of Congress, or Dewey Decimal classification systems

(03-04-2011 09:02 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Hmm - I've noticed the same with videogames on my machine. I love playing them , but when I have so many installed that my hard disk can no longer take them , and I play one for a few minutes but then get bored - maybe I am over-doing it.
How many games is that, and do you know how you compare with other gamers?
Smoker, or non-smoker?

(02-04-2011 01:56 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I also think that the same counts for things on the softer side of life. Like knowledge or intimate friendships.
Does having a 10'th extra friend in my life really contributes to the other relationships? Isn't having 3 really deep friendships enough?

. . . Thanks for reading and sharing thoughts.
Wow. Make sure you are not going into depression. It seems like this would be a topic that would be discussed in a "self-help" cult-like religious community - you know, the not being able to control the "higher powers" of addiction.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
RE: eLibrary
(04-04-2011 10:24 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-04-2011 02:26 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  We have 3+ bookshelves FULL of books, and we decided that instead of hoarding them, let them go! We're not selling them, what we're doing is offering them for free. Now, there are a few I'm keeping, some favorites and such. . . We want to spread knowledge and joy to others who love reading.
Did you get an eReader, yet?

Wait till you try to make a library for that stuff, just use the BISAC list - it's what the booksellers use. When you want to get more detail - try using the Library of Congress, or Dewey Decimal classification systems
I have thus far resisted getting an ereader. While I think it would be awesomely geeky to walk around with something akin to a Star Trekesque data pad, I love books too much. I love the printed word, turning the page. I love going to a used book store, picking up a book and being able to tell from it's condition whether somebody else loved that book or not, how many times they read it and things like that. You don't get this with an ereader. Generally, I embrace most technology (except for those damn traffic cameras that keep multiplying, thank you Big Brother) but the ereader is one thing I don't know if I can or will embrace.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
(02-04-2011 01:56 PM)The_observer Wrote:  The last years I often ask myself questions,
Do I really need that new I-phone, that kitchen mixer, that faster computer?
Am I really happier with an extra large portion fries?
Won't owning a personal RV be more burden then pleasure?
Even...
Do I really want a raise?

I also think that the same counts for things on the softer side of life. Like knowledge or intimate friendships.

I don't need all the material stuff like a new iPod (I have one of the old bricks), new PC, etc., but I do really want a raise. I mean I really, really want one. And, I'll probably get one in June. It's kind of shameful when you figure that on a planet of ~6 billion people I'm probably in the top 5% wealth wise and I'll be getting just a little bit more in the next 2 months. Strangely, I'm at peace with that, though. I can always use more money.

The friend comment was interesting. I know a lot of people and have a lot of acquaintances, but I've only got a few people in my life that I really consider friends. The number is not as low as 3 but it's certainly not as high as 10. I'd put it at 6, including my wife.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-04-2011, 12:15 AM
(04-04-2011 07:17 PM)BnW Wrote:  The number is not as low as 3 but it's certainly not as high as 10.
It might be possible that I am just more careful with whom to call "friend". I have lots of contacts witch I trust, but I don't call them friend. I know however, 3 persons to witch I would blindly trust my life to. Those are the one I call "friend".

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist