The rule of the diminishing returning needs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
RE: eLibrary
(04-04-2011 10:54 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I have thus far resisted getting an ereader. While I think it would be awesomely geeky to walk around with something akin to a Star Trekesque data pad, I love books too much. I love the printed word, turning the page. I love going to a used book store, picking up a book and being able to tell from it's condition whether somebody else loved that book or not, how many times they read it and things like that. You don't get this with an ereader. Generally, I embrace most technology (except for those damn traffic cameras that keep multiplying, thank you Big Brother) but the ereader is one thing I don't know if I can or will embrace.
Well, I don't think you will be able to resist much longer, since it will be standard of apps for tablets. I bought a Kobo, because it was only $80.00 when the Barns and Noble was liquidating - it's the bottom shelf for eReaders. What I like about it the most is that it holds so many titles, and so, I can skip around from book to book with ease compared to binded books. And another thing is large books with small print like,"Atlas Shrugged," are much more convenient to read on the eReader.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2011, 12:15 AM
RE: The rule of the diminishing returning needs
Mainly this is what is wrong with us westerners. We don't buy what we need. we buy:
Because it's cheap
Because it looks cool
Because it's gives status
Because its "new and improved"
In many cases these emotional reasons are covered with a rational sauce
It's cheap now so I don't have to buy it at high expense later
I need this to fit into the group
the new and improved version consumes less energy
After a while the junk stacks up.

On a side-note: What bothers me is that "find the cheapest prises" mentality. No wonder industry moves to other country's.
Lower employment costs
Lower enviromental issues
Child labour
And all that because you want to buy things you don't really need at prices as low as possible.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
06-04-2011, 04:48 AM
What bothers me (especially in the city I live in) along with the cheap things is this:
(06-04-2011 12:15 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Because it looks cool
Really? People are so boring you have to define your life with a car the size of a tank? Or the newest this? Or the biggest that? People need to get a life.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
[+] 1 user Likes cfhmagnet's post
06-04-2011, 06:39 AM
(06-04-2011 04:48 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  What bothers me (especially in the city I live in) along with the cheap things is this:
Really? People are so boring you have to define your life with a car the size of a tank? Or the newest this? Or the biggest that? People need to get a life.
Good one...
In the days I still drove something like this
[Image: citroen_2cv_2cv6_club_s6_1021277040133543.jpg]
My favourite one-liner was:
"I don't need a big car, I have a personality" Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
06-04-2011, 01:28 PM
(06-04-2011 06:39 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(06-04-2011 04:48 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  What bothers me (especially in the city I live in) along with the cheap things is this:
Good one...
In the days I still drove something like this
[Image: citroen_2cv_2cv6_club_s6_1021277040133543.jpg]
My favourite one-liner was:
"I don't need a big car, I have a personality" Smile
Nice, mind if I use that?
I drive a six year old chevy cobalt. Bought it used. All I wanted out of it was air conditioning, a cd player (cannot stand the radio), and a little reliability. It doesn't even have power locks or windows. I've had it a year now and I still have to remind half my friends to lock the door Smile

06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
something like this?
[Image: 2005_Chevrolet_CobaltSedan_ext_1.jpg]
(06-04-2011 01:28 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  It doesn't even have power locks or windows.
where do you need the airco for if you don't have windows? Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
06-04-2011, 06:10 PM
(06-04-2011 03:03 PM)The_observer Wrote:  where do you need the airco for if you don't have windows? Big Grin
I can't stand open windows on the highway. Just can't take it. Don't like the wind, the noise, anything. Probably old left over feelings from an irrational fear I had as a child that things would fly out the open window at high speeds, lol.

06-04-2011, 07:32 PM
When I think of my fiancées shoe collection, my happy meter goes out back and shoots itself.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
(06-04-2011 07:32 PM)Norseman Wrote:  When I think of my fiancées shoe collection, my happy meter goes out back and shoots itself.

I have never understood the obsession about collecting shoes. Undecided I have one pair each of winter boots and gum boots for winter and spring; running shoes for, well, running; a pair of scuffed-up flats; and a pair of sneakers that really should be replaced... but I hate buying shoes. Am I not a girl because of that? Tongue

I do agree with observer's original post though. I start to go crazy when I have too much junk laying around, so I tend to comb through my stuff periodically and get rid of it. I find it hard to part with books though, unless they're books that I got when I was a child or a teen (though you can't grow out of some children's books, like Alice in Wonderland Big Grin). Also, I have a problem replacing stuff... So my wardrobe tends to keep shrinking... and shrinking... until I run out of stuff to wear on laundry day.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
11-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I have more shoes than is really acceptable for a straight male to have. I have 2 pair of dress shoes (one black, one brown), 2 pair of kind of more casual shoes (also one black and one brown), 2 pairs of timberland hiking boots (although one is a pair I bought about 10 years ago that I keep for yard work and they are falling apart so I bought a 2nd pair), a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals and a pair of crocks (not the ugly plastic ones, mine are more like an actual shoe that I wear in the summer). And, of course, my cycling cleats for cycling.

So, that's 10 pairs of shoes, right? Oh, and I have slippers I wear around the house so if you count them I guess I have 11. Like I said, pretty bad for a straight male.

And, that's not the worst of it: the worst of it is I buy really expensive shoes. My dress shoes were a fortune. Even my sandals were like $150. I don't do that for status or anything, though. I do that because over the years all the running and cycling I've done has taken a big toll on my body and the result is if I wear cheap shoes I end up with a lot of problems with my feet and back. I also use orthodics in a lot of my shoes to keep my from being in constant pain. So, I think I probably deserve some slack for the amount I spend on them, but still, I have to concede that is a lot of shoes for a guy.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost