The rule of the diminishing returning needs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2011, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 09:57 AM by Observer.)
RE: The rule of the diminishing returning needs
I never expected this tread turning into a shoe-tread Big Grin

@BNW
Do you think you have TO MUCH?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 10:56 AM
(11-04-2011 09:51 AM)The_observer Wrote:  @BNW
Do you think you have TO MUCH?

No, not really. I do wear all of them. I mean, not all at once, obviously, but they all get used.

But, I really am a woman when it comes to clothes. I'll go shopping for stuff, pick through the racks, etc. I'm not so far gone that I start to accessorize or anything like that, but if you ask me if I want to go clothes shopping at the mall one afternoon, there is a pretty good chance I'm in!

Knowing this about myself, I don't go or only go when I know I need something (I also do a lot of shopping on-line). But, if my wife needs to go to the mall for something and I tag along, then WATCH OUT!!! because there is a good chance I'm coming home with something --- and you can be damn sure whatever it is, it's going to match.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
It's pretty easy to get me to the mall too. All you have to do is hit me over the head hard enough to knock me unconscious.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
If the mall has a hardware store, I'm in! Contrary to the theme of the thread, you can never have to many tools! Big Grin

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 1 user Likes Norseman's post
12-04-2011, 12:14 AM
(11-04-2011 06:44 PM)Norseman Wrote:  If the mall has a hardware store, I'm in! Contrary to the theme of the thread, you can never have to many tools! Big Grin
As soon as I get back home, I'll post pictures on how this can be possible... Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
12-04-2011, 02:49 AM
This really isn't the reason why I don't want to horde goods, Its not because I woudn't have room for them, its because I would prefer to give money to charity - like the RDF!
Here's an interesting question: Would it be better to donate a set amount of money now or save it and donate it later with interest?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
If you're donating the interest too then it really makes no difference as to when you donate.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-04-2011, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2011 10:21 AM by TrainWreck.)
(06-04-2011 12:15 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Mainly this is what is wrong with us westerners. We don't buy what we need. we buy:
Because it's cheap
Because it looks cool
Because it's gives status
Because its "new and improved"
In many cases these emotional reasons are covered with a rational sauce.
Sounds like arguments in favor of utilitarianism, which certainly has its benefits, but my surveys of NYC have lead me to understand the limits of the logic system. There are several major transportation points in the city that have had what appears to have been utilitarian architecture that have, either been refurbished with more emphasis on aesthetics, or are in considerations for refurbishing to such; and lets not forget the subway stations. Penn Station is a prime example of a space that is still under the utilitarian conditions - it's under Madison Square Garden, so it does not have the soaring ceiling that makes such high occupancy spaces more comfortable.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool