The sadder side of theism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2012, 11:45 PM
The sadder side of theism
http://theunconverted.com/the-sadder-side-of-theism/

Not sure if you're familiar with the Christian apologist blogger named Wintery Knight. It's really a very sad situation, so show a little compassion if you can.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2012, 11:55 PM
RE: The sadder side of theism
My troll alarm went off after reading that.

It's possible he could be that terrible of a person, but, to me, it seems too fishy and too extreme. I think he's just playing a role.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-04-2012, 12:04 AM
There are people in my hometown that believe the minute someone is atheist that they are no longer their human selves and have been taken over by demons. They don't respect or trust anything an atheist says because it IS the devil, and should be treated like the devil until they have had an exorcism preformed and become Christian again. I can see a similar attitude in this blog author, along with other people who have passed through this forum. (I will never forget bourgeois piglets- made me laugh every time! )
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
28-04-2012, 12:47 AM
There is a happier side to theism?

I find it sad that most theists don't even know much about their own religion and don't seem to understand the arguments made against them.

That is still sad but as long as theists see it as an affront to them rather than facts. They will continue to not understand.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 2 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
28-04-2012, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2012 06:56 AM by lightninlives.)
(28-04-2012 12:47 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  There is a happier side to theism?

I find it sad that most theists don't even know much about their own religion and don't seem to understand the arguments made against them.

That is still sad but as long as theists see it as an affront to them rather than facts. They will continue to not understand.
Though I'm b vehemently opposed to theistic doctrine and all other forms of superstitious thinking, I would say that there are happier sides to theism. For example, becoming a born-again helped my uncle turn his life around and saved his marriage. It also helped my mother through a very tough part of her life.

Granted, these "happier" situations occurred for all the wrong reasons, but they were happy and positive nonetheless.

There's also a link to a theist named Tom Larsen within that article. Though I obviously reject virtually every claim he makes, he is able to show respect for my opinion, if perhaps not much open-mindedness. I'd say that this is also a "happier" example of theism and it also shows that being a good person has little or perhaps nothing to do with being a theist or an atheist.

Intellectual evolution (e.g. skepticism and the atheism that is often a byproduct) is not guarantee of emotional evolution.

(28-04-2012 12:04 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  There are people in my hometown that believe the minute someone is atheist that they are no longer their human selves and have been taken over by demons. They don't respect or trust anything an atheist says because it IS the devil, and should be treated like the devil until they have had an exorcism preformed and become Christian again. I can see a similar attitude in this blog author, along with other people who have passed through this forum. (I will never forget bourgeois piglets- made me laugh every time! )
That's pretty scary stuff. Thanks for sharing.

(27-04-2012 11:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My troll alarm went off after reading that.

It's possible he could be that terrible of a person, but, to me, it seems too fishy and too extreme. I think he's just playing a role.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.
That's an interesting idea. I honestly didn't even think of that. I don't think that's the case (I actually think he may have psychological problems) but who knows.

P.S. I can never get enough of that Benny Hinn gif. I spent like a full day watching Hinn videos on YouTube after seeing that thing. Instant classic!

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
28-04-2012, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2012 08:12 AM by houseofcantor.)
(28-04-2012 12:47 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  There is a happier side to theism?

Sho nuff.

[Image: wild-magic-mushrooms.jpg]
(27-04-2012 11:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My troll alarm went off after reading that.

Banana_zorro trololol Banana_zorro

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2012, 08:52 AM
It all comes down to one simple point.
It's not worth debating as the debate is over.
The theist cannot prove their claim; therefore, their claim is invalid. Confused
I simply don't see a need to argue the finner points of irrational delusion any more. No

When someone disagrees with you and you get emotional it is a clear sign that you are not secure in your beliefs.
When I realized that I was a true atheist is when arguments for the existance of god stopped "bothering" me.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
28-04-2012, 09:58 AM
(28-04-2012 08:52 AM)Thomas Wrote:  When someone disagrees with you and you get emotional it is a clear sign that you are not secure in your beliefs.

I don't know about that. Sometimes I get emotional when peeps talk smack about my Gwynnies, and I know she's the best thing everz. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I was completely joking about my first line but even still. Don't you find it a tad bit sad that people must rely on some fictitious being to help them rather than themselves?

It is great your uncle turned his life around but I would give him more credit in doing so himself than some mythical Angel telling him how to fix his problems.

It reminds me when professional athletes praise a mythical being for their hard work and training. Of course preparing to win the superbowl and practices had absolutely nothing to do with winning rather than believing in Jesus had too.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I don't attribute happiness to atheism or theism. In fact, theists are generally happier in some surveys I've seen(which I wish I could post but I'm having trouble with my phone now but I believe most atheists have seen it)

I believe having a big caretaker in the sky and a eternal afterlife makes some of these people happy and cements their beliefs because they radically fear this not to be true.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
28-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I am going to try and keep the typos to a minimum as I am on iPhone.

I guess I would ask, is it a good idea to enter a dialogue where the other person has gone to such lengths to control what and how the discussion is posted? It puts one at great risk to be misrepresented and baited. I totally get why one would want to engage but by doing so you willing walk into an unsafe situation.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post