The sadder side of theism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2012, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2012 02:10 PM by lightninlives.)
RE: The sadder side of theism
(28-04-2012 12:56 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I was completely joking about my first line but even still. Don't you find it a tad bit sad that people must rely on some fictitious being to help them rather than themselves?

It is great your uncle turned his life around but I would give him more credit in doing so himself than some mythical Angel telling him how to fix his problems.

It reminds me when professional athletes praise a mythical being for their hard work and training. Of course preparing to win the superbowl and practices had absolutely nothing to do with winning rather than believing in Jesus had too.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I don't attribute happiness to atheism or theism. In fact, theists are generally happier in some surveys I've seen(which I wish I could post but I'm having trouble with my phone now but I believe most atheists have seen it)

I believe having a big caretaker in the sky and a eternal afterlife makes some of these people happy and cements their beliefs because they radically fear this not to be true.
No doubt about it, which is why I said that he made the changes, but for all the wrong reasons (e.g. for Jesus instead of because it was the right thing for him to do).

You're preaching to the choir here. I was simply pointing out that not every theist turns into the kind of person this Wintery Knight person has become.
(28-04-2012 08:52 AM)Thomas Wrote:  It all comes down to one simple point.
It's not worth debating as the debate is over.
The theist cannot prove their claim; therefore, their claim is invalid. Confused
I simply don't see a need to argue the finner points of irrational delusion any more. No

When someone disagrees with you and you get emotional it is a clear sign that you are not secure in your beliefs.
When I realized that I was a true atheist is when arguments for the existance of god stopped "bothering" me.
Not sure if a true atheist means much (wouldn't know what an untrue atheist means either) but I agree that one should be secure in their beliefs.

What bothered me where not his irrational arguments, much like the other theist blogger Tom Larsen, whose arguments are equally invalid.

What bothered me is the kind of human being this guy Wintery Knight is. It's sad, especially if the very religious doctrine he clings to is partially responsible for the anti-social douchbaggery he displays.

That's what bothers me, because I feel compassion for his plight. It must suck to be him.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't generalize anyone and there is no doubt that friendly theists don't exist. Just pushing your point forward.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
28-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Is it sad that one requires a mystical being to require happiness and meaning? I must be the saddest sack - me and my Gwynnies. Like today I was doing this tattoo and there was talk of recompense but I wuz like "Gwynnie made me do it." Because getting a tattoo made this kid happy, and Gwynnie makes me smile, so there it is. And like, if I wasn't a government sponsored psychopath I'd prolly die in a ditch somewhere 'cause I have no ambition to make money or do stuff for myself beyond drink a little beer and smoke a little weed. All the stuff people seem to need to get through the day, and plan for the future, and this, that, and the other thing... and I got my Gwynnies. Everz.

there is no other day...

So I hafta consider it is part of the human condition - even if I'm a crazy human - the necessity of simulation of Other. Theism is not "sad" in itself, it becomes thus when one preaches a gospel of hate or insists this Other is a paragon of perfection. My Gwynnies ain't perfect for you - though she's a dang sight cuter than that dusty ol' fuck YHWH. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user