The sanctity of life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 07:03 AM
The sanctity of life
Life is sacred.

Anyone's and everyone's death must be prevented at all cost, even against their will.

Having read people's opinions on this for years now on TTA, I wonder what these opinions are based on.

If you take the process of dying away, as it can be painful and scary for some, what about life is so sacred?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 07:23 AM
RE: The sanctity of life
(04-03-2016 07:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  Life is sacred.

Anyone's and everyone's death must be prevented at all cost, even against their will.

Having read people's opinions on this for years now on TTA, I wonder what these opinions are based on.

If you take the process of dying away, as it can be painful and scary for some, what about life is so sacred?

A few years ago, I was a Samaritan.

Some people wanted to take their own lives. Ours was not to prevent but to be there for them. If people want to end their own life, it's for them and them alone, to decide. We are not them. We have no real understanding of them and their problems.

If I had a terminal illness which is painful, are you telling me that you wouldn't think it a kindness for someone to end my life? I know I would. Are you telling me that you would deny me the right to a pain-free and dignified death?

Life is precious - yes.

Life at all cost? No, NOT IF IT HAS NO QUALITY.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
04-03-2016, 07:31 AM

You can't prevent death.

Just postpone it.

"Sacred" is just woo. It has no real meaning.

Life is better than not.

If you demand a life that's easy and pain free - you're probably not going to get what you want.

If you can live and enjoy life, in spite of it's difficulties, and pain -- you win.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-03-2016, 07:41 AM
What does sacred mean?
To me, it's one of those words like "spiritual" that I have a hard time pinning down. It seems to carry a lot of religious baggage.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Sanctity/sacred- both words are religious in nature and like everything else religious, they are subject to interpretation.

Precious? Dear? Those are more meaningful to me but don't carry the absolute connotation that sanctity and sacred do.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
04-03-2016, 07:52 AM
I try not to put anything on a pedestal. Stuff falls and gets broken that way.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 10 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
04-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Life is sacred. No, we, as humans imbue the sacredness into life through the belief that we are superior, mostly through religion. We are actually only organisms living, breeding and surviving on this planet. We kill all the time, we just pick and choose which times we call life sacred and which times we call death necessary. Hypocrisy as a survival mechanism.

Anyone's and everyone's death must be prevented at all cost, even against their will. More religious doctrine of control but not everyone feels that way.

Having read people's opinions on this for years now on TTA, I wonder what these opinions are based on. Indoctrination and lack of logical or critical examination.

If you take the process of dying away, as it can be painful and scary for some, what about life is so sacred? Nothing, life just is. We live, we die, we feed the colony for survival.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
04-03-2016, 09:34 AM
(04-03-2016 07:48 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Sanctity/sacred- both words are religious in nature and like everything else religious, they are subject to interpretation.

Precious? Dear? Those are more meaningful to me but don't carry the absolute connotation that sanctity and sacred do.

Ok! So what makes it precious?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2016, 09:42 AM
(04-03-2016 09:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok! So what makes it precious?

We only get to do it once.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-03-2016, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2016 11:51 AM by god has no twitter account.)
(04-03-2016 09:34 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 07:48 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Sanctity/sacred- both words are religious in nature and like everything else religious, they are subject to interpretation.

Ok! So what makes it precious?
Nothing. Otherwise, there wouldn't be all of this killing.

chistians pretend that life is precious and yet embarked upon one of the biggest killing sprees the world has seen. christians killed far, far more than even Hitler and the combined World Wars did and that's going some. That said, Hitler was a christian and was even confirmed. He even believed that he was doing god's work.

So, although some may feel it is precious, Man, as a whole and thus far, has failed to reflect this view.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored