The scariest part about "Christian Fundamentalism"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 05:44 PM
RE: The scariest part about "Christian Fundamentalism"
(26-05-2015 06:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 05:43 AM)jballadarez Wrote:  My wife told me that before we were married she was at a church and they prayed for her to heal. She had a wound on her arm. As they prayed the wound disappeared in front of her face. I've never known her to make up stories like that. Let's say it's not God. Then give me something that explains what happened.

Have a listen:

Umm, Ummm, Well.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Death spasms.

#sigh
03-04-2016, 04:47 PM
(12-03-2016 01:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 08:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  Interesting that you mention Einstein, I've just read the excellent biography by Walter Isaacson. One of the interesting things about him was that he explicitly identified himself as not being an atheist, but likewise refused to claim allegiance to any religion, including Christianity. His attitude to religion did change throughout his life, but he was fairly definite that the idea of a personal God was totally foreign to him. His idea of a God, so far as he expressed it, was found in the orderliness of the universe.

Also the thought that you attribute to him - I think the attribution is incorrect. Can you supply an actual quote?

The attribution is incorrect. Rudolf Clausius seems to be the first one to formulate it in the way we state it.

"In all cases in which work is produced by the agency of heat, a quantity of heat is consumed which is proportional to the work done; and conversely, by the expenditure of an equal quantity of work an equal quantity of heat is produced."

"In a thermodynamic process involving a closed system, the increment in the internal energy is equal to the difference between the heat accumulated by the system and the work done by it."

Ahhhh, the process which all of the fundies like to quote. Completely ignoring that the Earth is not a closed system.

03-04-2016, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 05:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-04-2016 04:47 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 01:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The attribution is incorrect. Rudolf Clausius seems to be the first one to formulate it in the way we state it.

"In all cases in which work is produced by the agency of heat, a quantity of heat is consumed which is proportional to the work done; and conversely, by the expenditure of an equal quantity of work an equal quantity of heat is produced."

"In a thermodynamic process involving a closed system, the increment in the internal energy is equal to the difference between the heat accumulated by the system and the work done by it."

Ahhhh, the process which all of the fundies like to quote. Completely ignoring that the Earth is not a closed system.

Are there any closed systems outside of a vacuum?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-04-2016, 05:09 PM
(03-04-2016 04:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 04:47 PM)The Drake Wrote:  Ahhhh, the process which all of the fundies like to quote. Completely ignoring that the Earth is not a closed system.

Are there any closed systems outside of a vacuum?

Not that I know of. But that doesn't stop them from using the argument ad infinitum. I guess that they think, if you tell a lie a certain number of times, it becomes truth.

03-04-2016, 05:26 PM
(03-04-2016 04:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Are there any closed systems outside of a vacuum?

Unless I'm much mistaken, the universe as a whole is a closed system. It's just that areas within it may be open.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
05-04-2016, 01:44 PM
(28-04-2015 02:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-04-2015 01:57 AM)jballadarez Wrote:  Christians cowards, how so?

Because they won't kill themselves to get to heaven faster and leave the rest of us the fuck alone. They'll buy into doomsday bullshit, and they'll happily support wars and capitol punishment so that 'god can sort them out', but very few of them have both the strength of their conviction and the lack of fear to actually put a gun to their temple and pull the trigger so as to fast-track themselves to their supposed eternal paradise.

They believe that suicide is a one way ticket to hell.
05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
(12-03-2016 02:06 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  .... math is a hell of a drug.

Fixt. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-04-2016, 01:56 PM
(03-04-2016 05:26 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 04:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Are there any closed systems outside of a vacuum?

Unless I'm much mistaken, the universe as a whole is a closed system. It's just that areas within it may be open.

Wait, whut? I think there are a number of different cosmological theories. Big Freeze suggests the universe as a whole is an open system and areas within it may be locally closed temporarily.

#sigh
26-04-2016, 10:26 AM
(03-04-2016 05:09 PM)The Drake Wrote:  

Not that I know of. But that doesn't stop them from using the argument ad infinitum. I guess that they think, if you tell a lie a certain number of times, it becomes truth.

Even then, the way most people understand a vacuum is incorrect. I often hear people use the term "the vacuum of space...space...pace...ace...ce" Sorry, just had to do that. The space beyond our own atmosphere is only a vacuum in the sense of the pressure differential. A being in this universe could not produce a "true vacuum" because there are always energies working against it.