The "science" of Star Trek with NdTyson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2012, 02:28 AM
The "science" of Star Trek with NdTyson
This is basically 3 comedians and Wil Wheaton playing off of Neil deGrasse Tyson's excitement, but still fun to watch. NdT officially qualifies this thread to be in the Science section.

If anyone wants to actually talk about the science of Star Trek, have at it... but I never watched Star Trek, so I only know the basics (warp speed, force fields, phaser guns, transporting people to planets via "beaming them up").

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2012, 06:56 AM
RE: The "science" of Star Trek with NdTyson
(23-12-2012 02:28 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This is basically 3 comedians and Wil Wheaton playing off of Neil deGrasse Tyson's excitement, but still fun to watch. NdT officially qualifies this thread to be in the Science section.

If anyone wants to actually talk about the science of Star Trek, have at it... but I never watched Star Trek, so I only know the basics (warp speed, force fields, phaser guns, transporting people to planets via "beaming them up").

Don't forget the 2 way communicators that cell phones were and still are in some ways based on.
28-12-2012, 09:51 AM
"Based on" being used extremely loosely of course.

Hint: That means its bull shit.
30-12-2012, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 02:19 AM by Janus.)
(28-12-2012 09:51 AM)Diablo Wrote:  "Based on" being used extremely loosely of course.

Hint: That means its bull shit.

That's the other extreme.

Star Trek technology was the expression of many human desires. Then! Some of which by themselves, but unequivocably inspired by Star Trek, developed into real 2012 applications like smartphones and tablets.
Just like Jules Verne inspired the moonlandings. Like Star Trek, he certainly wasn't the only inspiration and driving force, but he definitely was part of it!