The scientific method & fish DNA

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2015, 08:43 AM
RE: The scientific method & fish DNA
(14-01-2015 05:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Scientists hate each others guts, and would do ANYTHING to prove the competition wrong.

Laugh out load I’m not sure I know any who hate each other’s guts BUT they are damn competitive and secretive with their work.

I recently received a request to go and photograph a newly discovered fish species in situ. They have collected three individuals but have yet to get a photo in their natural setting.

The only way the marine biologist would share any information with me of where to go and what to look for was for me to do a super-secret, pinkie swear with a threat of excommunication from the list of trusted photographers who can keep their mouth shut if I breathe a word of where and what!

I can understand, the guy is in the process of describing the species and has yet to publish, doesn’t want to be leaped-frogged because of a loose tongue. Many scientists also work for grant money, it behooves them to “out-do” their competition by outpublishing and poking holes in the work of others.

These two factors alone give me great confidence in the scientific process - ego and money! Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 09:27 AM
RE: The scientific method & fish DNA
As a working research scientist, I would say that it is a bit of a misrepresentation to say that scientists hate each others' guts. I will concede that some feuds do arise, but it is not in the vested interest of research scientists to make enemies of the scientists in their field. Why? Well, they are the people who are going to review their grants and manuscripts. If you go pissing off the people in your field and they get your grant to review, they may look extra hard for a reason to score it low.

FC, thank you for the original post. It is the mark of a good scientist to revise his or her ideas when confronted with new evidence. I have done it. I have seen my colleagues and collaborators do it time and again. This really does happen as FC saw first hand.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post