The secret to defeating god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 05:01 PM
RE: The secret to defeating god.
(15-01-2015 02:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 12:33 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Dude, by this logic, we shouldn't educate children on things they don't currently understand. Children don't understand these concepts or have language to describe them, yet we teach them. I mean, what the actual fuck? Yes, I know the goat herders back then placed less value on education than we do today in lieu of placing value on burning goats for offerings and stabbing heathens in the face.

If you believe God has knowledge, why should he not impart it on his creations? My dad learned a long time ago that as a kid, I followed rules better if I understood the reason for them, rather than just giving arbitrary edicts.

You need to get over yourself and stop making ad hoc excuses for weird belief systems. It makes you say profoundly dumb things.

Well, Robby, I do agree with you and the other respondent who are saying it looks like overcomplicating biblical interpretation reads like a shell game. The Bible itself warns of complicated doctrines--a five-year-old can understand redemption and the gospel, for just one example.

While I hate to over-complicate solutions to Bible "problems", I must continue to provide detailed explanations as long as:

1. A foreign-language book is misunderstood in English, when there are excellent concordances and other tools to decipher best renderings, same as other foreign books.

2. Historical contexts are blithely, even utterly, ignored. For example, everyone at TTA on recent posts seems up in arms that it was okay for pork to be eaten well-cooked while ignoring the biblical injunction to demonstrate cleanness and uncleanness to Israel and the world. IMHO God cares less about pork being the other white meat or what's for dinner as long as we understand that uncleanness will be abolished, and punished, and cleanness (of spirit, not just dietary hygiene) will be rewarded.

3. Of course, I just want to remind you, not accuse you, that recent statements by some on the matter of pork and shellfish consumption has to do with modern farming and harvesting practices, with an eye like never before toward the public good and sustainability. I mean, pigs were pretty unclean back when and you know how they eat and live even now. I like my bacon same as the next omnivore but I know I have far healthier choices available. There's no way you went to your doctor last week, anywhere on Earth, and he or she advised that you get healthier by eating more sausage, scrapple, oysters and lobsters... aka the God who wrote the Bible knows His stuff!

Some Christians, like you, claim that it is unfair to criticize the Bible “out of context.” Yet could there possibly be any context in which it is justifiable to smash babies onto rocks, rape children, disembowel pregnant women, sell slaves like cattle, kill people for sexual indiscretions, or commit genocide? These are horrible acts and no humans should ever get away with such behavior. Not at any time or under any circumstances. Nor should anyone who tries to reinterpret blatantly immoral teachings like these be allowed any credibility. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27pDmWOO7...=related).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-01-2015, 05:07 PM
(15-01-2015 02:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 12:33 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Dude, by this logic, we shouldn't educate children on things they don't currently understand. Children don't understand these concepts or have language to describe them, yet we teach them. I mean, what the actual fuck? Yes, I know the goat herders back then placed less value on education than we do today in lieu of placing value on burning goats for offerings and stabbing heathens in the face.

If you believe God has knowledge, why should he not impart it on his creations? My dad learned a long time ago that as a kid, I followed rules better if I understood the reason for them, rather than just giving arbitrary edicts.

You need to get over yourself and stop making ad hoc excuses for weird belief systems. It makes you say profoundly dumb things.

Well, Robby, I do agree with you and the other respondent who are saying it looks like overcomplicating biblical interpretation reads like a shell game. The Bible itself warns of complicated doctrines--a five-year-old can understand redemption and the gospel, for just one example.

While I hate to over-complicate solutions to Bible "problems", I must continue to provide detailed explanations as long as:

1. A foreign-language book is misunderstood in English, when there are excellent concordances and other tools to decipher best renderings, same as other foreign books.

2. Historical contexts are blithely, even utterly, ignored. For example, everyone at TTA on recent posts seems up in arms that it was okay for pork to be eaten well-cooked while ignoring the biblical injunction to demonstrate cleanness and uncleanness to Israel and the world. IMHO God cares less about pork being the other white meat or what's for dinner as long as we understand that uncleanness will be abolished, and punished, and cleanness (of spirit, not just dietary hygiene) will be rewarded.

3. Of course, I just want to remind you, not accuse you, that recent statements by some on the matter of pork and shellfish consumption has to do with modern farming and harvesting practices, with an eye like never before toward the public good and sustainability. I mean, pigs were pretty unclean back when and you know how they eat and live even now. I like my bacon same as the next omnivore but I know I have far healthier choices available. There's no way you went to your doctor last week, anywhere on Earth, and he or she advised that you get healthier by eating more sausage, scrapple, oysters and lobsters... aka the God who wrote the Bible knows His stuff!

There's nothing wrong with oyster or lobster...Dr Mark

Actually bacon is good food too...provided you don't over burn it.
15-01-2015, 05:49 PM
(15-01-2015 05:07 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 02:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Well, Robby, I do agree with you and the other respondent who are saying it looks like overcomplicating biblical interpretation reads like a shell game. The Bible itself warns of complicated doctrines--a five-year-old can understand redemption and the gospel, for just one example.

There's nothing wrong with oyster or lobster...Dr Mark

Wrap it around steamed asparagus, and get a good sauce. Yum.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2015, 05:55 PM
(15-01-2015 05:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 05:07 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with oyster or lobster...Dr Mark

Wrap it around steamed asparagus, and get a good sauce. Yum.

Hmmm, that might be a new sacrament. Drooling

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Gentlemen:

1. There IS something wrong with bottom feeding mollusks and pigs. The very term pig is used idiomatically to speak of filth and uncleanness, etymologically speaking (I presume) from their nature and not just the Jewish/Muslim prohibitions. You are exceeding the bounds of scientific knowledge - and pun intended - good taste - in describing many of the unclean food items in the Bible as particularly healthful.

2. I'm not claiming "the Bible is misunderstood without context" as Robby put it. I'm claiming any and all books are understood fully in context, just like sentences:

"...There is no God." are better understood in context, "The fool says in their heart there is no God."

and how much more so ancient texts written in three non-English languages?

3. As an example of context, I wouldn't say the Bible proscribes execution for sexual indiscretion but for public sexual behavior in a forum. Contexts include a) two or three witnesses have to see the sexual behavior therefore b) two homosexuals or whatever the problem is (pick one) weren't in the privacy of their home and c) if we're going to judge a text at face value we have to take the whole text at face value in context. The Jews have been told they are to be a holy, covenant people. God is with them as a pillar of fire. They've just walked through the Sea. Now God says do X and have witnesses see your filth in a public forum and you will die. d) Talmud opines that not one person was ever killed for immorality except of course, where Aaron's grandson watched a Jewish man bring someone unclean (oops I wrote unclean again) into his tent IN THE SIGHT OF ALL ISRAEL. The sin was done publicly in a flagrant way. That is why Christians wring their hands over atheists on forums. You aren't quietly considering your position but coming here for several purposes, some of which I understand (some fellowship and questions answered) and some of which are asking for lightning to strike (pun intended).

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
17-01-2015, 07:55 AM
(16-01-2015 03:21 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Gentlemen:

1. There IS something wrong with bottom feeding mollusks and pigs. The very term pig is used idiomatically to speak of filth and uncleanness, etymologically speaking (I presume) from their nature and not just the Jewish/Muslim prohibitions. You are exceeding the bounds of scientific knowledge - and pun intended - good taste - in describing many of the unclean food items in the Bible as particularly healthful.

2. I'm not claiming "the Bible is misunderstood without context" as Robby put it. I'm claiming any and all books are understood fully in context, just like sentences:

"...There is no God." are better understood in context, "The fool says in their heart there is no God."

and how much more so ancient texts written in three non-English languages?

3. As an example of context, I wouldn't say the Bible proscribes execution for sexual indiscretion but for public sexual behavior in a forum. Contexts include a) two or three witnesses have to see the sexual behavior therefore b) two homosexuals or whatever the problem is (pick one) weren't in the privacy of their home and c) if we're going to judge a text at face value we have to take the whole text at face value in context. The Jews have been told they are to be a holy, covenant people. God is with them as a pillar of fire. They've just walked through the Sea. Now God says do X and have witnesses see your filth in a public forum and you will die. d) Talmud opines that not one person was ever killed for immorality except of course, where Aaron's grandson watched a Jewish man bring someone unclean (oops I wrote unclean again) into his tent IN THE SIGHT OF ALL ISRAEL. The sin was done publicly in a flagrant way. That is why Christians wring their hands over atheists on forums. You aren't quietly considering your position but coming here for several purposes, some of which I understand (some fellowship and questions answered) and some of which are asking for lightning to strike (pun intended).

Is your legitimate argument partly because we have an expression of a Pig being filthy meaning it's therefore actually in some ways unclean. Even though that may take it's lineage because of Pig being unclean biblically and how Pigs are kept on farms, which isn't even natural to them. They're more prone to cleanliness if you don't keep them stewed in a pit... you're just taking that expression out of context. In fact you can be viewing things all around you in wrong contexts all the time. It's usable in dozens of ways if you actually attempt to judge ones perspective on what they speak of.

And what does if the acts of deviance that should be considered abominations were only meant by public displays... how is that any different than still likely to be judged by most as despicable? I've also never heard any Christian ever say that because I've never seen any actual writing on where it distinguishes that. You'd think if that was so well known it would be a key point those websites like Answers In Genesis would use to inform the droves of Christians who are looking this up and on forums for multitude of reasons just as atheists are. Everything you speak of applies directly back upon you in these scenarios.. it's continually somehow not understood by you despite it being the type of thing Chas keeps having to point out about your posts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-01-2015, 09:35 AM
(16-01-2015 03:21 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Gentlemen:

No, we're going to need some actual evidence and not just your opinion.

You also have cause and effect backwards. The fact that pigs were declared unclean in those religions led to the use of the word in that meaning.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah, and mixed fibers, and boiling a kid in its mother's milk (cruel, sure, but no worse than factory-farming techniques ... and why would you do it?)

Will somebody teach me how to affect the "reputation" of bungholes like Q*nt and Hebrew Alphabet Boy (Girl?).

I hated Q on TNG. I hate seeing his picture. And Q*nt's posts are just so fucking tedious. Do any of these constant whiners and apologists have jobs?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
19-01-2015, 10:44 PM
(19-01-2015 10:34 PM)claywise Wrote:  Yeah, and mixed fibers, and boiling a kid in its mother's milk (cruel, sure, but no worse than factory-farming techniques ... and why would you do it?)

Will somebody teach me how to affect the "reputation" of bungholes like Q*nt and Hebrew Alphabet Boy (Girl?).

I hated Q on TNG. I hate seeing his picture. And Q*nt's posts are just so fucking tedious. Do any of these constant whiners and apologists have jobs?

I think you have to have been here 30 days before you can rep.

20-01-2015, 11:41 AM
(19-01-2015 10:34 PM)claywise Wrote:  Yeah, and mixed fibers, and boiling a kid in its mother's milk (cruel, sure, but no worse than factory-farming techniques ... and why would you do it?)

Did you get the mixed-fibers and mother's milk objections via your Bible reading or from a skeptic's website?

Why you would boil the kid is to offer a pregnant sacrifice. Some evangelicals understand this has implications for the abortion argument. It also would be illogical to sacrifice two for one (to God or to another religion) so that you are destroying the future produce...

The mixed fibers IMHO has to do with singleness of purpose and purity. A priest/elder/Jesus Christ/Hebrew is to be devoted to mission.

I have two employments and do some other things. You?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.