The selfishness argument - Can it get worse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: The selfishness argument - Can it get worse?
If they are so selfless ask them for $1,000.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 11:28 AM
I believe in something greater than myself, it is called the universe. Hell, I also believe the humble atom and its primary components are greater than myself. I can't split or fuse and generate even a fraction of the energy it can.

I believe that stars are greater than me. Plate Tectonics can literally create and move mountains. Evolution makes new forms of life. Etc.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
16-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Selfish: adjective.
(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

1. There is no lack in consideration with not believing in someone elses religion no matter what your argument is.

2. There is no pleasure in not believing in something. There IS pleasure in believing in something. Therefor, theism is selfish by this portion of the definition of selfish.

3. There is no profit in Atheism. I guess unless you write a book, but the thing about that is profit is extremely low and only an extremely few people out of the MILLIONS of authors in the entire world who have written a book, are writing books or whatever, have ever made an actual profit from it, Extremely fewer have become rich from it. There is not a single atheist, nor will there ever be one, whom has become "rich" from the profits of selling one of their books. The return from each book selling is very low.

Theists and beleiving in god is a multi billion dollar industry. Therefor, believing in god is selfish.

There is a plethora of Bible versus and Christian beliefs conserning god, hell, heaven etc. That I could point out! Like, its selfish to do something good because you want to be rewarded.

Sound familiar? Like, heaven maybe?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
16-04-2015, 07:00 PM
(09-04-2015 07:30 AM)Blackout Wrote:  ...does it even matter if it's selfish? Is this even an argument?
Apparently making decisions based on what is perceived to be in your own best interests is a Bad thing.

I make decisions to improve my lot everyday, I'm a bad bad boy!
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
17-04-2015, 03:57 PM
(09-04-2015 07:30 AM)Blackout Wrote:  There is a pro-god/pro-theism argument that some poor souls use that normally resembles the following:

So you don't believe in anything? Don't you think it's selfish to not believe in something greater than yourself? Can't you see the big picture

So... I have two questions:

- What's the best way to counter this? I mean, does it even matter if it's selfish? Is this even an argument?

- Can I punch people who say this, please?

What this argument means to theists:

- This argument represents a sort of enlightened smart position of someone who is able to see god's work and consequentially anyone who doesn't agree with the premises is being ignorant and weak minded - It is a great way to attempt tot link theism with intellectual productivity.

I would start by rejecting the premise that I don't believe in anything. Then I would point out that reason is incredibly selfish. It's in my self interest to believe in only things that are true. It's in my self interest to be rational. It's in my self interest to be honest. I want to live and I want to have the best life I can have. Believing in things without evidence endangers all that. Pretending to know things I don't know endangers all that. Yes it's selfish and selfishness, properly defined, is a virtue and faith is a vice.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
21-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Quote:So you don't believe in anything? Don't you think it's selfish to not believe in something greater than yourself? Can't you see the big picture

- What's the best way to counter this? I mean, does it even matter if it's selfish? Is this even an argument?

Well in my opinion you could not really counter this or rather your riposte would have no meaning to someone who already makes this kind of "arguments". And lets say that atheism is selfish. So what? It neither make it wrong nor make fairy tales about god more believeable.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post