The shape of the universe and what is at it's edge. Turn your noggins on.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 10:29 AM
RE: The shape of the universe and what is at it's edge. Turn your noggins on.
(20-01-2012 10:16 AM)Jasrace Wrote:  
(19-01-2012 09:50 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Hopefully it won't be forever an unknown within our lifetime. Smile

I think science will come to a dead end or for maybe every question answered another question arises. So we find out we live in 3 dimensions of a larger 11 dimension universe. How could we ever explain why there are 11 dimensions and not some other odd number? The laws of physics in our 3 dimensions don't apply to the other dimensions. So our theory of everything will not be a theory of everything, it will be a theory of most things up until a certain point, then who knows?
I'm sure theorical physicists could/can explain M-theory or String theory up to a point but then how can they explain what makes up strings and what laws governs them?

I think you underestimate mathematicians and physicists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-01-2012, 11:17 AM
(20-01-2012 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2012 09:50 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Hopefully it won't be forever an unknown within our lifetime. Smile

I think science will come to a dead end or for maybe every question answered another question arises. So we find out we live in 3 dimensions of a larger 11 dimension universe. How could we ever explain why there are 11 dimensions and not some other odd number? The laws of physics in our 3 dimensions don't apply to the other dimensions. So our theory of everything will not be a theory of everything, it will be a theory of most things up until a certain point, then who knows?
I'm sure theorical physicists could/can explain M-theory or String theory up to a point but then how can they explain what makes up strings and what laws governs them?

Yes. If we ask sensible questions, Mathematics and Science can provide quality answers to anything.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2012, 10:49 PM
(20-01-2012 11:17 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Yes. If we ask sensible questions, Mathematics and Science can provide quality answers to anything.

What would be sensible questions? Many phenomena in quantum physics are counter intuitive.
Find all posts by this user