The shroud of Turin isn't a forgery!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2013, 04:42 PM
The shroud of Turin isn't a forgery!
Someone posted this on a facebook group about skepticism. New book claims that the shroud of Turin isn't a medieval forgery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...rgery.html

Of course, the authors who did the study are Catholics. And I realize it's probably in the book, but what's the methodology of their studies, and the basis of the claim that tests in 1988 can't be trusted due to 'laboratory contamination'?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: The shroud of Turin isn't a forgery!
(28-03-2013 04:42 PM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  Someone posted this on a facebook group about skepticism. New book claims that the shroud of Turin isn't a medieval forgery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...rgery.html

Of course, the authors who did the study are Catholics. And I realize it's probably in the book, but what's the methodology of their studies, and the basis of the claim that tests in 1988 can't be trusted due to 'laboratory contamination'?

Yes it is.
Laboratory contamination of the same amount at 3 separate labs simultaneously?
Really?

I have a bridge to sell.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Google some of the other things that the Catholics profess to be true...and if you look closely at the church you may find that they are not above lying. Ask an altar boy how far to trust the leaders of the Church.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-03-2013, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:28 AM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 2 users Like Doctor X's post
28-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Guy came by here one time, started a thread - who would rid me of this turbulent priest - or some such (too busy running my neck right now to look it up) So I went to the priest's blog with my prophety goodness and stirred a ruckus. Big Grin

Anyhoo, this "shroud" clap-trap was a popular blog post at the time, so I expressed my views. Man, do some people get twisted when "faith" is questioned! Big Grin

My conclusions, based upon the preponderance of evidence gleaned from teh nets - fake from the fourteenth century.

And! It's pretty clear this is a marketing ploy.
http://www.livescience.com/28276-shroud-of-turin.html

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
29-03-2013, 09:11 AM
I haven't read this book, but one of life's little ironies is the utterly desolate Roman "Church" is in possession of the true burial cloth of Christ.
29-03-2013, 09:20 AM
(29-03-2013 09:11 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I haven't read this book, but one of life's little ironies is the utterly desolate Roman "Church" is in possession of the true burial cloth of Christ.

The Shroud of Turin is a pious fraud.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-03-2013, 09:20 AM
(28-03-2013 05:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Guy came by here one time, started a thread - who would rid me of this turbulent priest - or some such (too busy running my neck right now to look it up) So I went to the priest's blog with my prophety goodness and stirred a ruckus. Big Grin

Anyhoo, this "shroud" clap-trap was a popular blog post at the time, so I expressed my views. Man, do some people get twisted when "faith" is questioned! Big Grin

My conclusions, based upon the preponderance of evidence gleaned from teh nets - fake from the fourteenth century.

And! It's pretty clear this is a marketing ploy.
http://www.livescience.com/28276-shroud-of-turin.html

Why, that was Faaaather (Dwight ??) Longenecker. We made him start editing his site's postings. Him no likey us. Hehe.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ent+priest

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-03-2013, 09:32 AM
The facial features of "the shroud" don't even look normal, . . . but more like the paintings of the era it was probably created.
29-03-2013, 09:38 AM
So a fake religion has a real icon. The mind simply reels at the possibilities.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post