The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2013, 12:25 AM
The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!
An often considered solution to ending "racism", sometimes seriously and sometimes jokingly, is to encourage race-mixing and interracial marriage so that generations from now there will not be any distinct human races.

Does no one find the irony in this?

This suggestion implicitly admits that multiracial societies are detrimental, and that the only solution is to destroy all the distinct human races... which isn't racist at all, right?

It's essentially against human diversity. Which is ironic because the people that endorse this solution are typically pro-diversity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2013, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 12:36 AM by ridethespiral.)
RE: The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!
Please people should be allowed to mix or not mix however they please and nobody is advocating any mandatory blending programs...

I think we have now passed the Trololo tipping point.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like ridethespiral's post
03-08-2013, 12:39 AM
I don't understand your point...or if you are even making one at all.

Racism will never have a solution, just like religion will never completely go away. So this bickering and legislating to try to solve a problem that's been around since the stone age is useless.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
03-08-2013, 01:14 AM
(03-08-2013 12:31 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Please people should be allowed to mix or not mix however they please and nobody is advocating any mandatory blending programs...

I think we have now passed the Trololo tipping point.

I agree this guy is a classic modern racist.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
03-08-2013, 02:28 AM
I disagree that he's trolling.

I think he has a point in pointing out the irony.
It is ironic that people who are trying to rid the world of racism propose a solution that results in there only being one race...
Thus effectively the racists and anti-racists sort of have a common goal of only one race.

However, it's about intentions and I when people suggest more race mixing I don't believe the intention is to have only one race but more that people will have more experience with other race's and thus be less likely to be racist. You're not going to be joining the KKK if your mother was black for example... or less likely.
Where as hardcore racists intention IS for only one race.

edit: Oh, nevermind, I just viewed the political section and saw all the threads he made.

Yea, troll gonna troll.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-08-2013, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 01:17 PM by DLJ.)
Actually, although the discussion regarding racism (i.e. bigotry) is over, I find the discussion regarding assimilation vs. diversity to be a very interesting one and one worth having.

And not only wrt the social construct known as race but also, gender, beliefs (i.e. religion) and states.

I'm of the view that homogeneity is boring and unhealthy (at least from genetic and cultural perspectives) yet I teach (and advocate) conformity to rules and policies for the sake of creating harmony and mutual profit (i.e. process efficiency and effectiveness).

In Star Trek terms...
Federation = good
Borg = bad.

Then again, I am happy that our galaxy is diverse from our neighbouring ones.
I'm not looking forward to the moment when Andromeda decides to assimilate us!

03-08-2013, 03:09 AM
(03-08-2013 02:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, althought the discussion regarding racism (i.e. bigotry) is over, I find the discussion regarding assimilation vs. diversity to be a very interesting one and one worth having.

And not only wgt the social construct known as race but also, gender, beliefs (i.e. religion) and states.

I'm of the view that homogeneity is boring and unhealthy (at least from genetic and cultural perspectives) yet I teach (and advocate) conformity to rules and policies for the sake of creating harmony and mutual profit (i.e. process efficiency and effectiveness).

In Star Trek terms...
Federation = good
Borg = bad.

Why is it boring and unhealthy?

03-08-2013, 04:01 AM
(03-08-2013 03:09 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 02:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, althought the discussion regarding racism (i.e. bigotry) is over, I find the discussion regarding assimilation vs. diversity to be a very interesting one and one worth having.

And not only wgt the social construct known as race but also, gender, beliefs (i.e. religion) and states.

In Star Trek terms...
Federation = good
Borg = bad.

Why is it boring and unhealthy?

Is that not obvious?

I swear that the same town-planning-type-person after his or her success in Cardiff and Reading and almost any UK town that you can think of, moved to Wellington and did the same design there.

Yawn!

Wink

03-08-2013, 09:09 AM
(03-08-2013 04:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 03:09 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why is it boring and unhealthy?

Is that not obvious?

I swear that the same town-planning-type-person after his or her success in Cardiff and Reading and almost any UK town that you can think of, moved to Wellington and did the same design there.

Yawn!

Wink

Ohh, yea yawn.
But I thought you meant in relation to people.

03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
The OP may be trying to elicit negative response but they have in fact hit on something that has occurred to me with some frequency.

We treat race as if it is definitive. Yet all humans can breed with other humans. In biology there are distinct differences between species that can interbreed and those that cannot. Oaks can be a particular difficult sort of example. There are also the oddments like horses, burros and mules (by the way keep your distance from mules if you are not familiar with them).

We are all humans. It matters not that we may have certain physical characteristics because of millennium of interbreeding. We can still breed one to another.

As much as I like cultural diversity I do believe that more mixed "race" (a false term in any biological sense) people is a positive for the whole.