The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
RE: The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!
In the age of mobility, mixing is going to happen, period.

It's a good thing, putting an end to racism. But - it's not going to put an end to prejudice anyway. It's how people are, they seem to need someone to hate, a scapegoat, the devil.

It's part of religions too, and they are built the way they are for a reason. They have to appeal to all of our base instincts. And apparently war is in our genes, humans are belligerent.

So while the mixing of races will stop discrimination based on race, it will not do away discrimination. Discrimination is older than racism. No matter how closely people resemble each other, there will always be differences of some sort and there will be discrimination.

Losing the races is kind of sad. We are already shedding culture at a very rapid pace. Dialects are dying out by the droves as people move freely. Dialects evolved because groups of people would remain as a community in the same place for many generations. Dialects often have words that don't exist elsewhere, some concept that got refined in that community. We lose all these.

Cultures are very interesting and a lot is to be learned from them. They are going to disappear along with the skin colors.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
"Losing the races?" I don't think that would actually happen 100% without a globally enforced police state dystopian "racial mixing" program. Just because there is now less taboo (I remember, as a kid, interracial couples were on talk shows, because that was so rare it deserved whole shows devoted to it) doesn't mean there will be no variation among people. Especially considering that a human generation is much longer than a generation of fruit flies, and not everyone who has kids will automatically decide to have kids with a person who doesn't look much like they do. And I suppose, over much larger periods of time, people who live near the equator might still end up being darker, and people in northern Europe might still tend to be lighter. I don't quite buy the idea that we're all going to end up being a shade of light brown with no variation. Many people still stick to their own ethnic communities, there are still geographical boundaries people stay in, etc.

Quote:Cultures are very interesting and a lot is to be learned from them. They are going to disappear along with the skin colors.
Strongly disagree. Just because there is more travel, more contact between cultures doesn't mean there will be no cultures. People still tend to be clique-ish, cultures will still happen within geographic locations. Many cultures have changed with outside contact, but that's not the same as ceasing to exist.

I just don't believe that people will stop forming into groups (whether based on location, skin color, ehtnic heritage, whatever) people that's what people do, they form little tribes. If it's not location, it's religion. People band together for all sorts of reasons, their jobs, etc. Then you have people who strongly react against the idea of cultural mixing and insulate themselves, like the Amish or Hasidic Jews.

As for the point of the OP, I think that people will always find something to harass others about, and will always create ingroups and outgroups. Whether or not these are based on skin color or ethnicity seems irrelevant to me. Even if you did get rid of those and we were all one color, people would still split up into little tribes and give people shit about belonging to a different group.

(At least, this is the impression I get from having studied cultural anthropology in college. )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
03-08-2013, 03:44 PM
(03-08-2013 03:15 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  ...
I might hate Beyonce's music, but I would still bang her if she asked me to.

That's dangerously close to a hate crime!

Her music is divine.

Whitey!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Look at these statistics:

The U.S. Census Bureau today released a 2010 Census brief, Households and Families: 2010, that showed interracial or interethnic opposite-sex married couple households grew by 28 percent over the decade from 7 percent in 2000 to 10 percent in 2010. States with higher percentages of couples of a different race or Hispanic origin in 2010 were primarily located in the western and southwestern parts of the United States, along with Hawaii and Alaska. A higher percentage of unmarried partners were interracial or interethnic than married couples. Nationally, 10 percent of opposite-sex married couples had partners of a different race or Hispanic origin, compared with 18 percent of opposite-sex unmarried partners and 21 percent of same-sex unmarried partners.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
But like I said, the existence of MORE interracial couples and MORE mixed race children is not the same thing as "every individual is going to have the same culture and be the same light brown color."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2013, 04:46 PM
No, but there is going to be some interesting future evolution going on. It may well be that the offspring of some of the racial combinations, or the offspring of the offspring etc., ends up having a gene combination that is resistant to a certain disease or is better suited for one thing or another.

Sure, there will always be pockets of people who form seclusionist communities. But try walking around downtown any major European city. There is little left of the original culture, and local natives are far and between.

It's not going to happen in our life time, and there will be pockets of original cultures, and not all the world will mix all at once, but I do think that we will evolve to be mostly one race.

03-08-2013, 05:13 PM
(03-08-2013 12:25 AM)janthuffy Wrote:  An often considered solution to ending "racism", sometimes seriously and sometimes jokingly, is to encourage race-mixing and interracial marriage so that generations from now there will not be any distinct human races.

Does no one find the irony in this?

This suggestion implicitly admits that multiracial societies are detrimental, and that the only solution is to destroy all the distinct human races... which isn't racist at all, right?

It's essentially against human diversity. Which is ironic because the people that endorse this solution are typically pro-diversity.

First of all who suggests that "race-mixing" will lead to a uniform race? That's fucking ridiculous, but not for the reasons you brought up. The reason that interracial breeding won't lead to a uniform race is because race is defined more by socially constructed values and definitions than by biology. The races have already in just the past century made strides in homogenization when you look at who has been considered "white" and who hasn't been. The Irish, Polish, Italians, and other Eastern Europeans sure as fuck weren't considered "white" in America 150 years ago the same way the British, Germans, French, and Scandinavians were considered "white." Yet now they can all blend together under this common label.

Did something biological change all of the sudden that made them white? No, society just changed the definition of who could be included in the label. Now who is white and who isn't is a clusterfuck. Hispanic's are technically considered white now, but when you refer to "whites" are you throwing the hispanics in there as well? Or the Asians? What about the darker tan skinned people you sometimes get in the Mediterranean countries? Are they white? Most of them consider themselves white and most people who consider themselves white would also consider them white, yet some of them have darker skin than some of the people we would consider "black" in America.

So yes, intermixing for the purpose of creating a uniform race to eliminate racism is fucking ridiculous because:

A. Race is a social construction the definitions of which change over time (I bet you will disagree with that Drinking Beverage ), biology won't change that.
B. New racial categories will be constructed over time.

I'm wondering how much of this is an argument people actually make and how much of this is simply a strawman you have constructed.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
No the solution to end racism is for everyone not to be a fucking douche.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 3 users Like Question's post
21-08-2013, 01:24 PM
The solution to racism is to abandon the concept of "race" altogether. The differences between us are so subtle that the word is irrelevant.

Children of all backgrounds will happily play and learn together... until all this "race" bullshit gets pumped into their heads. After that they segregate themselves, and a social barrier is created.

Just the mere suggestion of being different is enough to make people split into groups.

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom... - The Ghost of Christmas Present.
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
21-08-2013, 02:52 PM
(21-08-2013 01:24 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  The solution to racism is to abandon the concept of "race" altogether. The differences between us are so subtle that the word is irrelevant.

Well, that's not even quite true...

If by 'race' you mean 'human populations which are genetically distinct in a biologically meaningful way', then such a thing is demonstrable. Of course, there are then hundreds of 'races', which bear little to no resemblance to the deranged phantasm classical racists espouse.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post