The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 02:55 PM
RE: The solution to ending "racism" - Mix 'em up!
(21-08-2013 07:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  There actually is no such thing as racism on it's own merit. Racism is a side product of the human tendency to belong to groups. It just so happens that race is a visible difference and makes it easy to define a group.

It's actually more specific than that. While humans have been categorizing each other since time immemorial, the modern conception of race doesn't date back more than a few hundred years. The concept was specifically designed to justify the oppressive policies set about by the European colonizers while conquering/eradicating or enslaving people in far away lands. Once these people were well entrenched in the social hierarchies of their intended destination, their descendants could easily be picked out in a crowd, race became a "mark." Furthermore, if you didn't belong to the "white" race, you played a vital role in the economy by being exploited by the power structure. So it wasn't just a visual difference aiding in the categorization of groups, the aesthetic property of the classification system greatly enhanced the efficiency of exploiting and oppressing them.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Rolleyes *grin* Do looks count for dating to you? If what people favor in beauty wounds up being one race, then whatever.
30-08-2013, 08:37 AM
(26-08-2013 02:55 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 07:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  There actually is no such thing as racism on it's own merit. Racism is a side product of the human tendency to belong to groups. It just so happens that race is a visible difference and makes it easy to define a group.

It's actually more specific than that. While humans have been categorizing each other since time immemorial, the modern conception of race doesn't date back more than a few hundred years. The concept was specifically designed to justify the oppressive policies set about by the European colonizers while conquering/eradicating or enslaving people in far away lands. Once these people were well entrenched in the social hierarchies of their intended destination, their descendants could easily be picked out in a crowd, race became a "mark." Furthermore, if you didn't belong to the "white" race, you played a vital role in the economy by being exploited by the power structure. So it wasn't just a visual difference aiding in the categorization of groups, the aesthetic property of the classification system greatly enhanced the efficiency of exploiting and oppressing them.

It goes further back than that, when people were not aware of different races they feuded with the neighbor village, or just the neighbor.

People have always formed an "us" and "them". Race really has nothing to do with it. No matter how subtle, people will find a difference and draw a divide.

That may have been useful way back in evolution, when tribes were competing for food etc, but it is a burden on humankind for many centuries now. I hope humankind can outgrow it in the future.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-08-2013, 08:12 PM
From personal experience and what this video shows "mixing things up" isn't going to fix racism. As a Black-Cuban, who really doesn't care what u call her, unfortunately their will always be dividing lines. Yes the gap is getting smaller but their will always be cultral differences and out of them people will toe lines. Hell, you don't need race for that. There's actually a big line in blind community between people born visually impaired and those who lost sight later in life. And let's not even get started about that nasty little line in the LGBTQA community.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
30-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Race, as a category, is about as valid as religion. Races are as broad or specific as people choose to pay attention to, as in White v. Non-White or Black v. Non-Black, or Anglo v. Gallic or Kenyan v. Ugandan. Just like Christian v. Muslim, or Protestant v. Catholic, or Methodist v. Baptist, or Northern Baptist v. Southern Baptist, &etc. down to specific church buildings.

Go to Brazil and start asking people about their race, you'll find that racial identification is sometimes (not always) totally dissociated from parentage. Brazilians whose families have gotten wealthier or poorer over a couple of generations, may talk about their racial background changing over the same time period, with richer = more European and poorer = more African. As Africa ascends the socioeconomic scale and Europe descends, I expect that trend to first weaken, and then strengthen in the opposite polarity.

The way to end racism is, Stop pretending race is real. The way to end sectarianism is, Stop pretending God is real. These really are close to the same thing.

It's all in our imagination.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
30-08-2013, 09:17 PM
(30-08-2013 09:06 PM)I Am Wrote:  Race, as a category, is about as valid as religion. Races are as broad or specific as people choose to pay attention to, as in White v. Non-White or Black v. Non-Black, or Anglo v. Gallic or Kenyan v. Ugandan. Just like Christian v. Muslim, or Protestant v. Catholic, or Methodist v. Baptist, or Northern Baptist v. Southern Baptist, &etc. down to specific church buildings.

Go to Brazil and start asking people about their race, you'll find that racial identification is sometimes (not always) totally dissociated from parentage. Brazilians whose families have gotten wealthier or poorer over a couple of generations, may talk about their racial background changing over the same time period, with richer = more European and poorer = more African. As Africa ascends the socioeconomic scale and Europe descends, I expect that trend to first weaken, and then strengthen in the opposite polarity.

The way to end racism is, Stop pretending race is real. The way to end sectarianism is, Stop pretending God is real. These really are close to the same thing.

It's all in our imagination.
That's very easy for some people to say. Genetic race is indeed a lie, but unless your family refers to u as "Banana" or "Little Annie" then no u don't understand the mental construct of "race". And it has a lot more than looks.

30-08-2013, 09:53 PM
(30-08-2013 09:17 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  That's very easy for some people to say. Genetic race is indeed a lie, but unless your family refers to u as "Banana" or "Little Annie" then no u don't understand the mental construct of "race". And it has a lot more than looks.

Help me out here. Banana? Little Annie? I've never heard these as pet names, insults, or diminutives before.

I think I acknowledged that race is more than looks. It's geography, granularity of focus, socioeconomic position, and broader cultural context. Probably more than that, also.

Regarding the video: I have encountered this kind of snap positive judgment of mixed-race kids before. My grand-niece has type 3c hair, blue-green eyes, and butterscotch skin with tiny freckles on her cheeks. She is beautiful. The combination of traits is unusual, and thus striking. It's very pleasing to see... "easy on the eyes," as some might say. She has gotten compliments like the video mentions since minutes after she was born. I find it hard to fault people for seeing her as... magnificent. She is.

It's always good to examine underlying assumptions, but the existence of assumptions doesn't always imply a fault in the person holding them.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
30-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Racial mixing is usually beneficial and gives healthier and more intelligent offsping. Some racial mixes are better than others. I think european and asian work quite well.

The has been a little bit of research done on some combinations. Some seem to be better than others.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
30-08-2013, 10:07 PM
(30-08-2013 09:53 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 09:17 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  That's very easy for some people to say. Genetic race is indeed a lie, but unless your family refers to u as "Banana" or "Little Annie" then no u don't understand the mental construct of "race". And it has a lot more than looks.

Help me out here. Banana? Little Annie? I've never heard these as pet names, insults, or diminutives before.

I think I acknowledged that race is more than looks. It's geography, granularity of focus, socioeconomic position, and broader cultural context. Probably more than that, also.

Regarding the video: I have encountered this kind of snap positive judgment of mixed-race kids before. My grand-niece has type 3c hair, blue-green eyes, and butterscotch skin with tiny freckles on her cheeks. She is beautiful. The combination of traits is unusual, and thus striking. It's very pleasing to see... "easy on the eyes," as some might say. She has gotten compliments like the video mentions since minutes after she was born. I find it hard to fault people for seeing her as... magnificent. She is.

It's always good to examine underlying assumptions, but the existence of assumptions doesn't always imply a fault in the person holding them.

"Little Annie" would be red curly hair and freckles. (My hair finally turned dark red brown when I was 8. It still gets lots of red highlights in the sun)
Banana I thought would be obvious, in summer I get a nice red-brown tan, but come winter I'm two shades lighter and my freckles show when I don't have make up.

As I say people will always toe lines. Looks are just one excuse. And it's an excuse people have made good use of.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

31-08-2013, 11:58 AM
BrokenQuill92, you have posted two very thought provoking videos.

I struggle consistently with notions of ability and beauty. I want to understand myself as accepting of all humans but I find myself failing with great regularity.

I will again say specifically that race is an artificial construct and needs to be eliminated from all thought process.