The solution to science arguments against creations age.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: The solution to science arguments against creations age.
(16-03-2014 12:27 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  Clips like this are emotionally painful for me to watch. I can not fathom how someone can have these types of thought processes.

....says the person who posted the OP:

(06-03-2014 04:17 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  This is just a thought exercise type question not a belief or opinion but...

If (G)god is an all knowing all powerful being for which there is no greater, and the world really is only about 6,000 years old, isn't it perfectly plausible that (h)He created the universe 6,000 years ago, but created it 14 billion years old?

Weeping

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2014, 08:13 AM
(15-03-2014 07:01 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 07:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  [Image: 1386036310875.jpg]

No need to discuss anything further with you, it seems.

Robby,
If I could I'd give you an extra rep just for the Captain Haddock pic. Which reminds me, where have I seen your avatar pic before? It looks like something Herge would have done.

Doc

Yeah, EvolutionKills explained it pretty well. I've used the avatar elsewhere before, just because the face does such a great job of conveying that surprise you get when someone says something really dumb. It's a particularly good fit on an atheist board due to it being David Silverman's face (sort of).

On a related note, I don't really look anything like David Silverman, but I look similar enough to the meme that my daughters assumed it was a pic of me with facial hair.
17-03-2014, 10:58 AM
well the biblesays 6000 yrs but it looks older to me like evolution takes a long time tho,but i think the bible is right
17-03-2014, 11:02 AM
The solution to science arguments against creations age.
(17-03-2014 10:58 AM)seroasha Wrote:  well the biblesays 6000 yrs but it looks older to me like evolution takes a long time tho,but i think the bible is right

Why is that?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
19-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Only people that can't grasp the science believe in the 6000 year old part, there's nothing wrong with that if it's what you choose to believe no one can stop you, but you owe out to yourself to question it and look sty the evidence not the hearsay for yourself.
19-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Arguments like this remind me of that scene in that Adam Sandler movie 'Big Daddy'. There is a scene where the little kid is playing cards with Rob Schneider and with every single hand, the kid keeps shouting I WIN! When Schneider asks why, the kid just answers back 'Because I win!'.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
19-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Jesse a lot of people seem to miss the point, from a core logic standpoint the argument is self fulfilling, it's totally impossible to prove it's wrong, that's the power of the idea of an omniscient omnipotent God. I see it as a core problem when dealing with extremists of any kind, theist or atheists. I've always pondered how one can solve a problem of this nature, never got anywhere though Smile
19-03-2014, 12:58 PM
(19-03-2014 12:41 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  Jesse a lot of people seem to miss the point, from a core logic standpoint the argument is self fulfilling, it's totally impossible to prove it's wrong, that's the power of the idea of an omniscient omnipotent God. I see it as a core problem when dealing with extremists of any kind, theist or atheists. I've always pondered how one can solve a problem of this nature, never got anywhere though Smile

Yup, and it drives me crazy. I really only want to discuss atheism or debate it if I think there is a chance you're on the fence or willing to accept a different idea.

For someone staunch in their beliefs, it's not worth it to me 99% of the time. To start, I don't have anything to offer that is completely and totally Infallible, omnipotent, and omniscient. So in the end I just end up arguing with the kid in Big Daddy.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
19-03-2014, 01:49 PM
(06-03-2014 04:41 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Doesn't that sound crazy?

no
19-03-2014, 03:08 PM
(15-03-2014 12:02 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  
(06-03-2014 05:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Plausible? No. Possible, yes, but why...?

And, of course, there is no god so there's that too.

There is no God in our image of course, at least none that's manifest. But what about God's that don't take a form we'd recognize?
What about them? Do you have any evidence for such a god?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post