The stories I hear: "Spiritual Warfare"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 12:06 PM
The stories I hear: "Spiritual Warfare"
Yesterday, my friend told me one of the worst stories I've ever heard. Mostly everyone I know is partially (agnostic or unsure), if not completely religious. Only a handful of my friends are atheist, and those people live on the opposite side of town. My school is mostly Christian.

My friend was telling me about an experience a woman at her church had shared with her mother. The woman had recently started attending church. Shortly after she had been baptized, she woke up in the middle of the night in her home by someone/something dragging her out of bed, and pinning her to the floor. But literally nothing was there, it was just an invisible force. The woman goes to the church's preacher, and asks him if he believes in spiritual warfare. He engages this, and tells the woman all sorts of stories about how spiritual warfare is a very serious matter. His reasoning to comfort her was that "the devil is angry because he's had her all of these years, and now that she's found the light, the devil wants her back."

The worst part about this story was that my friend telling it to me actually believed it. My reply to the story was "That woman has to be schizophrenic or something..." to which my friend abruptly dismissed. So, trying not to be rude, I nodded my head like "Wow, that's crazy!"

It's so hard not to make a show out of stupidity. No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 12:09 PM
RE: The stories I hear: "Spiritual Warfare"
(08-02-2014 12:06 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Yesterday, my friend told me one of the worst stories I've ever heard. Mostly everyone I know is partially (agnostic or unsure), if not completely religious. Only a handful of my friends are atheist, and those people live on the opposite side of town. My school is mostly Christian.

My friend was telling me about an experience a woman at her church had shared with her mother. The woman had recently started attending church. Shortly after she had been baptized, she woke up in the middle of the night in her home by someone/something dragging her out of bed, and pinning her to the floor. But literally nothing was there, it was just an invisible force. The woman goes to the church's preacher, and asks him if he believes in spiritual warfare. He engages this, and tells the woman all sorts of stories about how spiritual warfare is a very serious matter. His reasoning to comfort her was that "the devil is angry because he's had her all of these years, and now that she's found the light, the devil wants her back."

The worst part about this story was that my friend telling it to me actually believed it. My reply to the story was "That woman has to be schizophrenic or something..." to which my friend abruptly dismissed. So, trying not to be rude, I nodded my head like "Wow, that's crazy!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

[Image: 741px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(08-02-2014 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 12:06 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Yesterday, my friend told me one of the worst stories I've ever heard. Mostly everyone I know is partially (agnostic or unsure), if not completely religious. Only a handful of my friends are atheist, and those people live on the opposite side of town. My school is mostly Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

[Image: 741px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG]

Well now this woman is convinced the devil lives with her. No
08-02-2014, 12:19 PM
What sort of church is this?
08-02-2014, 12:21 PM
(08-02-2014 12:19 PM)Deerdra Wrote:  What sort of church is this?

Baptist.
08-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I know a whole bunch of people that most certainly believe that "spiritual warfare" is real. I don't think many of them would buy the physical manifestation described in your story, but they definitely believe that satan and demons are real and can influence your thinking with temptation and thoughts against god. The bible describes Satan as a lion looking for people to devour along with other works of the "evil one". Some even believe in demon possession and such - they used to warn us not to "mess around" with Ouija boards, seances, and other such things that they claimed could open your mind up to demons. Many even bought in to the backward messages on records (remember that silly shit?) and even the evils of Dungeons and Dragons and other role playing games. And many of these people were college educated, some even in engineering and sciences. Hard to fathom what people will believe when properly indoctrinated.
08-02-2014, 12:37 PM
(08-02-2014 12:06 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  ... My reply to the story was "That woman has to be schizophrenic or something..." to which my friend abruptly dismissed. ...

I don't know that it would have even made a difference with a lot of the types that are willing to believe this sort of story even if they accepted that she was schizophrenic.

I have a friend that believes schizophrenia and mental illness is actually demon possession anyway. She thinks they talk to themselves, not because they are actually talking to themselves, but because either they are talking to the demon or the demon is in control and speaking through them.

08-02-2014, 12:48 PM
(08-02-2014 12:37 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 12:06 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  ... My reply to the story was "That woman has to be schizophrenic or something..." to which my friend abruptly dismissed. ...

I don't know that it would have even made a difference with a lot of the types that are willing to believe this sort of story even if they accepted that she was schizophrenic.

I have a friend that believes schizophrenia and mental illness is actually demon possession anyway. She thinks they talk to themselves, not because they are actually talking to themselves, but because either they are talking to the demon or the demon is in control and speaking through them.

This makes me really angry. I couldn't imagine someone blaming or accusing a person who has something seriously wrong with them, something that they cannot help, of talking to a demon/being possessed. Of all the retarded things you could muster up, they blame what their beliefs have brain washed them to believe.

No

(08-02-2014 12:33 PM)meremortal Wrote:  I know a whole bunch of people that most certainly believe that "spiritual warfare" is real. I don't think many of them would buy the physical manifestation described in your story, but they definitely believe that satan and demons are real and can influence your thinking with temptation and thoughts against god. The bible describes Satan as a lion looking for people to devour along with other works of the "evil one". Some even believe in demon possession and such - they used to warn us not to "mess around" with Ouija boards, seances, and other such things that they claimed could open your mind up to demons. Many even bought in to the backward messages on records (remember that silly shit?) and even the evils of Dungeons and Dragons and other role playing games. And many of these people were college educated, some even in engineering and sciences. Hard to fathom what people will believe when properly indoctrinated.

I remember when I was little and growing up, I'd go to a neighbor's house and the oldest sister would tell me about how she had to hide her Harry Potter books (when they were first new) because her parents and grandparents were convinced they contained actual witch craft and promoted the devil.
08-02-2014, 12:53 PM
(08-02-2014 12:06 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  The worst part about this story was that my friend telling it to me actually believed it. My reply to the story was "That woman has to be schizophrenic or something..." to which my friend abruptly dismissed. So, trying not to be rude, I nodded my head like "Wow, that's crazy!"

It's nice that most Christians I know (in person) would be exceptionally skeptical of a story like this. Still, when someone eats the whole thing up and then sells a story or Satan like that, it looks like you could have cases of people with serious mental illnesses that will go by undiagnosed and untreated, except by prayer and/or dangerous exorcisms.

(08-02-2014 12:21 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 12:19 PM)Deerdra Wrote:  What sort of church is this?

Baptist.

Why does this not surprise me? It might just be anecdotal, but as far as people I know IRL and online, I've gotten some of the worst arguments from Baptists.
08-02-2014, 01:07 PM
As posted by Revenant77, it sounds like sleep paralysis. I've suffered many episodes of sleep paralysis and I can see where many of these stories come from. It's like been awake during a nightmare, and you feel paralysed. Many people feel an "evil" presence and I can understand why. I've seen a dark figure at the end of the bed many times. Sometimes the bed shakes violently and is lifted off the ground. Very realistic, but it's not Satan or spiritual warfare, it's just a dream.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí