The stories I hear: "Spiritual Warfare"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 02:48 PM
RE: The stories I hear: "Spiritual Warfare"
Wasn't it Dawkins who once told somebody "I don't doubt your sincerity, I just think you were hallucinating". That is the line I think of every time I here stories like this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mrlmichael's post
08-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Is it me or has there been a recent upswing in these types of stories?

I don't like to say outright that people are liars, but there is an emotional need to feel like one belongs. Also, people generally like the attention such a tale brings them, the emotional support they recieve as a result. It becomes much like the munchausen by proxy (most often described as a parent who makes a child ill, for the attention having a sick child gave them).

It just annoys me that more people don't see through it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-02-2014, 03:07 PM
(08-02-2014 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Is it me or has there been a recent upswing in these types of stories?

I don't like to say outright that people are liars, but there is an emotional need to feel like one belongs. Also, people generally like the attention such a tale brings them, the emotional support they recieve as a result. It becomes much like the munchausen by proxy (most often described as a parent who makes a child ill, for the attention having a sick child gave them).

I think there is, and I feel like I know the reason for that as well. In the bible and through religious history, we hear all of these tales of miracles, people getting healed, turning rocks into food, walking on water etc etc. Somehow, the frequency of miracles decreased around the same time as the arrival of the photograph, strange eh? Nowadays, with photo and video evidence needed for pretty much any "miracle", people have turned their stories to spiritual events, things that "couldn't have been captured on camera anyway".
08-02-2014, 03:19 PM
(08-02-2014 03:07 PM)mrlmichael Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Is it me or has there been a recent upswing in these types of stories?

I think there is, and I feel like I know the reason for that as well. In the bible and through religious history, we hear all of these tales of miracles, people getting healed, turning rocks into food, walking on water etc etc. Somehow, the frequency of miracles decreased around the same time as the arrival of the photograph, strange eh? Nowadays, with photo and video evidence needed for pretty much any "miracle", people have turned their stories to spiritual events, things that "couldn't have been captured on camera anyway".

Society in general is obsessed with "fame" or the idea of it and people want to fit in...they're socially awkward. They make up a story (based somewhat in truth but greatly exaggerated and usually completely unverifiable). They recieve attention for the story -- and even encouraged by people with a similar agenda.

It's like the people who pretend to be alcoholics to join AA so someone will care and worry about them.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Baptists and Pentacostals love them some spiritual warfare. Spiritual wickedness in high places is what Paul called it. Makes them think they are 'doing something for God' and it must be important if satan is targeting them. I heard a sermon by a guy obsessed with demons who basically said if you have any negative thoughts about the church or its leadership, you have a demon.
08-02-2014, 06:28 PM
I had a friend who was traveling to africa and he seen people get murdered if they have epileptic seazures because people think they have demons inside them. So being around stupid people is dangerous.