The story behind "Doorways to Demonic Possession" viral meme

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 01:33 PM
The story behind "Doorways to Demonic Possession" viral meme
You might have come across an internet meme, a photo of a list of elements of "Satan's Spiritual Structure" that are "doorways to demonic possession." The story behind this meme: I, Troy Davis, part of a group of underground filmmakers CultJam Productions, made a Chick tract parody "A Demon-Hunting Veep?" to promote our then-new online film Ivy League Exorcist: The Bobby Jindal Story (http://www.cultjampro.com). The film is a deadpan satire of the actual exorcism that Jindal participated in as a Brown U. student.

Anyhow, we took a few thousand tract to SD Comic-Con 2012 and passed them out. One of the attendees took a picture of the page with the tongue-in-cheek list and put it online without giving the name of the tract or any other context. As a result, the photo became viral with mentions on Boing Boing, The Huffington Post, and other forums on the net. If you were tricked by the list, you shouldn't feel foolish because most of the things on the list I got directly from Chick tracts as well as from former Chick Publications author, Dr. Rebecca Brown. For more discussion of the decontextualized panel, read my post on the matter here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2014, 02:03 PM
RE: The story behind "Doorways to Demonic Possession" viral meme
Interesting how stuff gets started. I'm pretty sure I've seen the meme on Facebook.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply