The story of my de-un-conversion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2011, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 03:02 AM by Michael.)
The story of my de-un-conversion.
I assume some of you have read my previous posts where I outlined the circumstances surrounding key events in my life, events that greatly influenced my view on religion.

Well, another life changing event has occurred; an event far more significant than my father's death. This event completely changed my view of reality, and I can now say with absolute certainty that not only is there a God, but he is the God of the Bible!

It all started twenty two minutes ago, while I was in the middle of doing my physics homework. My physics teacher requires homework be submitted by noon on Fridays. Since I have a class Friday morning, this essentially means that all physics homework is due by very late Thursday, or very early Friday.

I'm flying through this assignment. Conservation of momentum was my bitch! Then, I suddenly experienced a strange sensation that overwhelmed my entire body. I backed away from my desk, opened my mouth, and let out a very audible "HICCUP."

No! I can't deal with this right now! I have a physics assignment to do, I can't be distracted by these damn <HICCUP> hiccups.

So I turn to some classic remedies to cure the hiccups. Unfortunately, drinking water upside down, holding my breath, and eating a spoonful of peanut butter all failed me.

They were driving me mad! These damned hiccups were so distracting, they were preventing me from doing my physics assignment! I was not about to let some hiccups screw up my physics homework!

So, having no alternatives, I turned to the one place I could for a cure, God.

"God, I know I've never fully embraced you, but please, find it within your all powerful heart to answer my prayer, and cure me of these hiccups! I don't know where else to turn. I swear, if you come through on this for me, I will love and worship you for the rest of my life."

And suddenly, my hiccups were cured! I couldn't believe it! It was a miraculous act of God's infinite mercy!

The second I stopped hiccuping, I knew that God was real, and that he truly cared about my well being.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Michael's post
01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
RE: The story of my de-un-conversion.
I don't want to be the first to post following the OP, so I won't post here. I will wait until a few others post before I do.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm rather saddened by the lack of responses. I was hoping to get an in-depth discussion about my hiccup conversion.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I am sure that you are lampooning the religious idea of proof on April Fool's Day, but then I have seen some very strange turn arounds by people in my life, so I had no real idea on how to bring it up.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
02-04-2011, 04:12 AM
(01-04-2011 02:41 AM)Michael Wrote:  I assume some of you have read my previous posts where I outlined the circumstances surrounding key events in my life, events that greatly influenced my view on religion.

Well, another life changing event has occurred; an event far more significant than my father's death. This event completely changed my view of reality, and I can now say with absolute certainty that not only is there a God, but he is the God of the Bible!

It all started twenty two minutes ago, while I was in the middle of doing my physics homework. My physics teacher requires homework be submitted by noon on Fridays. Since I have a class Friday morning, this essentially means that all physics homework is due by very late Thursday, or very early Friday.

I'm flying through this assignment. Conservation of momentum was my bitch! Then, I suddenly experienced a strange sensation that overwhelmed my entire body. I backed away from my desk, opened my mouth, and let out a very audible "HICCUP."

No! I can't deal with this right now! I have a physics assignment to do, I can't be distracted by these damn <HICCUP> hiccups.

So I turn to some classic remedies to cure the hiccups. Unfortunately, drinking water upside down, holding my breath, and eating a spoonful of peanut butter all failed me.

They were driving me mad! These damned hiccups were so distracting, they were preventing me from doing my physics assignment! I was not about to let some hiccups screw up my physics homework!

So, having no alternatives, I turned to the one place I could for a cure, God.

"God, I know I've never fully embraced you, but please, find it within your all powerful heart to answer my prayer, and cure me of these hiccups! I don't know where else to turn. I swear, if you come through on this for me, I will love and worship you for the rest of my life."

And suddenly, my hiccups were cured! I couldn't believe it! It was a miraculous act of God's infinite mercy!

The second I stopped hiccuping, I knew that God was real, and that he truly cared about my well being.

PFFFFFT!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
06-04-2011, 09:49 PM
That story just changed my life.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
06-04-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm really glad he could take time away from slaughtering African children to help you with your ailments. Your prayer may have saved lives!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
07-04-2011, 06:04 AM

I tried praying to God to make this pain in my neck go away.
It didn't work I still have the pain.
Well dang it I must be an Atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LittleOne's post
07-04-2011, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 10:34 AM by Michael.)
Obviously your neck pain is just part of His divine plan. My hiccups, on the other hand, were not.

07-04-2011, 12:24 PM

If my neck pain is part of his divine plan then he can write me out of the script.
I think the Bible needs to be rewritten. Maybe next time they can find better writers.
Some parts of the Bible make sense. Some parts are so extraordinary they are unbelievable.
Quote this message in a reply