The strangest argument against homosexuality I have ever heard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 02:00 PM
RE: The strangest argument against homosexuality I have ever heard.
(07-04-2014 12:27 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You will never know what it is. My mom actually uses evolution in order to justify why we shouldn't have gay people. Strange isn't it?Consider

No, your mom actually uses a parody of evolution to do this.

There is a very good evolutionary reason for the persistence of homosexual behavior in many species.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 02:04 PM
(07-04-2014 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 12:27 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You will never know what it is. My mom actually uses evolution in order to justify why we shouldn't have gay people. Strange isn't it?Consider

No, your mom actually uses a parody of evolution to do this.

There is a very good evolutionary reason for the persistence of homosexual behavior in many species.

I honestly think it is used to form bonds sexually in the species, or to secretly disguise them selves so that they can mate with all the females with other males not fearing them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2014, 02:24 PM
(07-04-2014 02:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 02:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, your mom actually uses a parody of evolution to do this.

I honestly think it is used to form bonds sexually in the species, or to secretly disguise them selves so that they can mate with all the females with other males not fearing them.

I should have said 'reasons' in my post.

One explanation is that homosexuality is neither beneficial nor harmful, so it is not 'visible to' selection. That is, there are some slight benefits and some slight negatives. For example, homosexual individuals may not, themselves, pass on their genes, but they may help the survival of their close kin who share most of their genes including the ones that contribute to homosexuality.

Natural selection works in mysterious ways its wonders to perform. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-04-2014, 02:44 PM
(07-04-2014 01:21 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:16 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  So... She thinks that homosexuality is unnatural, and therefore a mere choice? How does she explain that homosexuality has been observed in nearly 1200 different species? There aren't gay penguins because they are rebelling against societal norms. Gay pandas aren't "fabulous" because it's somehow trendy.

I used that argument. She said humans a different from those animals.

How? Homosexuality has been observed in chimpanzees; we genetically differ from them by 2%. So, somehow that 2% (among all other differences) determines that human homosexuality is different than "animal" homosexuality?
It sounds like she is allowing arrogance and a superiority complex to mentally separate humans from the rest of life on this planet. It's not her fault; I'm sure she was raised that way.
So, in her rationale, human homosexuality is unnatural. Then, why does it exist? By choice? That would imply that each of us has made a sexuality choice. Ask her if she sat down one pre-pubescent day to weigh her options. Homo or hetero? Taco or sausage? I'd bet that she just did what felt natural... as does everyone.
A homosexual friend of mine described a childhood experience to me. It was that first inexplicable crush on another person. He had a crush on another boy. It wasn't sexual, and it wasn't a choice. He was a child having natural feelings.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 4 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Just tell her that if she's against homosexual couples because thay can't reproduce,she should be against celibate and invertile couples too Drinking Beverage
explain to her that the world is overpopulated and we don't need moar babies as well.

Also,if i remember correctly(i'll try to find it later when meh internet speed has increased),there is a bigger chance that the 2nd,3rd,4th,etcth child will be homosexual because hormones shit. This is to prevent overpopulation and stuff,because for the longest time of history, we had limited resources and big families,and bigger populations meant less food and stuff.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
08-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Two things:

1) If random people in a population being day doesn't cause them to die out, why would it go away? We have lots of traits that are apparently neutral in terms of our ability to survive.

2) Even if it were detrimental, how does she explain recessive hereditary diseases like Tay Sachs? Sure, the species would be "stronger" without them, but because they're recessive, they don't work themselves out of the population.

(07-04-2014 04:23 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Also,if i remember correctly(i'll try to find it later when meh internet speed has increased),there is a bigger chance that the 2nd,3rd,4th,etcth child will be homosexual because hormones shit. This is to prevent overpopulation and stuff,because for the longest time of history, we had limited resources and big families,and bigger populations meant less food and stuff.

I've heard that before, but I've never considered it to be an evolutionary trait. Interesting!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-04-2014, 08:35 AM
The problem with the woman's evolution theory to deem herself open-mindedly against homosexuality is that the gay population has consistently remained at around ten percent of the world's population. If the numbers of homosexual people were steadily increasing, then she would be correct. As it is, there will always be heterosexuals to reproduce.
08-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Why do you people think gays don't reproduce? Facepalm
Even if tomorrow everyone on the planet turns gay there would still be babies. The logistics of reproduction in such scenario are different than what we're used to, but it's definitely not impossible, gay is not synonym of infertile.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post
08-04-2014, 10:32 AM
(07-04-2014 12:45 PM)wazzel Wrote:  If the entire species would suddenly become homosexual we would indeed die out. The change of that actually happening is actually next to none.

Not really. Being homosexual doesn't mean being infertile, and many, many GBLTs do want children.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Just tell your mom if she doesn't want the world to have any more homosexuals then she needs to tell the heterosexuals to stop having them.

(just thinking about this stuff makes me want to Rainbow Vomit )

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post