The strangest argument against homosexuality I have ever heard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: The strangest argument against homosexuality I have ever heard.
(08-04-2014 10:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:25 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I have heard that too. Oddly, men tend to be at either end of the sliding scale, while women fall into the middle areas and experience more bisexual tendencies.

Doesn't Thailand recognize 3-4 sexes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

Australia, I believe, has also added a third gender and some of the American Indians tribes felt that homosexuality was a gift from the spiritual world. The gay or even a transgender person was a combination of male and female so they had the ability to understood both sexes and was often revered. My daughter is transgender so I've read a great deal on the subject. There are women who are born without a vigina. It's called MRKH syndrome so what would this mom think of that. Humans display a wide spectrum of sexuality and gender. We don't all come from a cookie cutter when it comes to sexuality and gender, thankfully.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-05-2014, 02:47 AM
I am not sure if that would be true.

It would make a little sense since evolution knows when the species is getting a bit thin or weak and evolves to adapt to changing environments. Maybe homo happens when the species becomes too numerous. I do not think any animals that have predators are capable of homosexuality so it could be the "constructed predator" to the top of the food chain animals to keep the numbers in check.
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-05-2014, 05:30 AM
(03-05-2014 02:47 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I am not sure if that would be true.

It would make a little sense since evolution knows when the species is getting a bit thin or weak and evolves to adapt to changing environments. Maybe homo happens when the species becomes too numerous. I do not think any animals that have predators are capable of homosexuality so it could be the "constructed predator" to the top of the food chain animals to keep the numbers in check.

Sorry but evolution is unguided and doesn't "know" when a species is under environmental pressure. If it did we would have never seen an extinction event ever.

Over population usually leads to collapse of the area's viability and as such the population shinks or dies out. Speciation may result as a result of the reduced resources, with those able to exploit the situation surviving to reproduce and pass on thier adaptations.

In actuality, predation does not lead to the absence of homosexuality. It has been observed in many different animals, penguins being the one that comes to mind right now. Once I get home I'll post some sources if you'd like.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
03-05-2014, 05:36 AM
(03-05-2014 05:30 AM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  

Sorry but evolution is unguided and doesn't "know" when a species is under environmental pressure. If it did we would have never seen an extinction event ever.

Over population usually leads to collapse of the area's viability and as such the population shinks or dies out. Speciation may result as a result of the reduced resources, with those able to exploit the situation surviving to reproduce and pass on thier adaptations.

In actuality, predation does not lead to the absence of homosexuality. It has been observed in many different animals, penguins being the one that comes to mind right now. Once I get home I'll post some sources if you'd like.

You are forgetting that evolution is the need for a species to adapt and survive. It does change when the species is in danger, it just does not change faster because of it.

Most species have not lived long enough when they were in danger to be able to adapt, survive and evolve enough to make a difference.

However, If you have evidence against this, go ahead and post some sources. Maybe I am confusing with evolutionary need for evolutionary survival.
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-05-2014, 06:05 AM
(03-05-2014 05:36 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:30 AM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  Sorry but evolution is unguided and doesn't "know" when a species is under environmental pressure. If it did we would have never seen an extinction event ever.

You are forgetting that evolution is the need for a species to adapt and survive. It does change when the species is in danger, it just does not change faster because of it.

Most species have not lived long enough when they were in danger to be able to adapt, survive and evolve enough to make a difference.

However, If you have evidence against this, go ahead and post some sources. Maybe I am confusing with evolutionary need for evolutionary survival.

I'm afraid your view of evolution is incorrect.
Evolution is random change with the results filtered by fitness. There is no driving force for change, there is no response to 'need'.

A species does not 'know' that it is in danger. Evolution is completely mindless and unguided.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2014, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 07:19 AM by Blackhand293.)
(03-05-2014 05:36 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:30 AM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  Sorry but evolution is unguided and doesn't "know" when a species is under environmental pressure. If it did we would have never seen an extinction event ever.

What Chas said. I have a habit of being overly technical in my explanations, so let me rephrase my response.

Being a prey species does not reduce or even nullify the occurrence of homosexuality. I specifically mentioned penguins, a species know to be eaten by among others cape fur seals, a species for which there are documented cases of homosexuality. (1)

As well as in many many others, for example The American Bison(2)

So the basis that it is an evolutionary adaptation to overpopulation has little to no basis in fact, nor the claim that it does not appear in prey species but only in apex predators.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
[+] 3 users Like Blackhand293's post
03-05-2014, 08:10 AM

So Flamingos have no predators?

Chinstrap penguins, Black Swans, Giraffes, American Bison, just to name a very small few, have no predators?

Sorry, but you're wrong; plenty of species which display homosexual tendencies do indeed either have predators, or at least belligerent relationships with bigger animals, between which snacking on one another may occur (Lions and Spotted Hyena both have 'homo' tendencies).

The numbers of a species are not alone dictated by predators, but they are apart of the equation; the general carrying capacity of a given environment is ultimately what 'decides' how many of a given species can live there; too many and they simply die, most often to starvation due to being outside availability of food.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
(07-04-2014 12:27 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  You will never know what it is. My mom actually uses evolution in order to justify why we shouldn't have gay people. Strange isn't it?Consider

Your Mom may have something there. Consider

We might want consider her reasoning as a strategy, as soon as the human species population decreases to numbers similar to the polar bear.

Oh sure, that first 6 billion might be tough to get rid of but if we all help out and cull populations indiscriminately, we can hit those numbers, people! Thumbsup

Mother's day is coming up; be sure to thank her for her contribution. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-05-2014, 10:37 PM
(07-04-2014 12:35 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 12:33 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  How, exactly?

I believe Dawkins has said something about evolution and homosexuality but I can't really remember now.

It goes along the lines, humans need to reproduce to survive, homosexuals don't allow reproduction, thus hindering the species.

Then it would be a self-resolving issue:

Let them pair up and die happily of natural causes. Trying to force them in the closet would be one of the dumbest tactics since it would keep their genes in the gene pool.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
04-05-2014, 07:49 PM
(03-05-2014 06:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:36 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  You are forgetting that evolution is the need for a species to adapt and survive. It does change when the species is in danger, it just does not change faster because of it.

I'm afraid your view of evolution is incorrect.
Evolution is random change with the results filtered by fitness. There is no driving force for change, there is no response to 'need'.

A species does not 'know' that it is in danger. Evolution is completely mindless and unguided.

Natural Selection anyone? Evolution is partly based on desired traits which is determined by habitat, mating and many other factors.