The stupid...it burns...so there I was..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 12:47 AM
RE: The stupid...it burns...so there I was..
In my experience countering an irrational and deeply ingrained belief with reason and logic is ineffective for the most part. A mind that can't see reason on a subject can't easily be reasoned with.

Sorry for the sloppy reply, I'm currently being squished in a packed bus. Never have I hated fat people more than I do right now...:-D

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Krypttonigt's post
01-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Oh wow that stupid does burn badly doesn't it? I've been told to prove many things don't exist and it's funny because that's not our job as non-believers. I usually ask "Well, do you think Aliens are real?" If they say "Yes" I can move on to something else like fairies, dragons, etc. until I get a "No" and then ask them to prove it. Once I see them struggle to find a good reason to not believe I can make it clear why it's not on them to disprove it since there is already no evidence for it. The least a believer can do is read your well thought out response before just repeating themselves.
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
03-03-2016, 01:43 PM
(01-03-2016 12:47 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  In my experience countering an irrational and deeply ingrained belief with reason and logic is ineffective for the most part. A mind that can't see reason on a subject can't easily be reasoned with.

Sorry for the sloppy reply, I'm currently being squished in a packed bus. Never have I hated fat people more than I do right now...:-D

Very true.

I never engage these types in the hopes of curing them of their infection of faith, but for those that read the conversation, and see the ignorance and sheer futility of her position, and the fundamental level of logic and reason in mine. Those that are infected with faith and are fighting doubt within themselves are teetering on the top of the fence. Planting seeds of doubt, or making assertions that they can go independently verify to be true leans them more towards reason and logic, and further away from magic and faith.

Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
03-03-2016, 01:46 PM
(01-03-2016 09:14 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Oh wow that stupid does burn badly doesn't it? I've been told to prove many things don't exist and it's funny because that's not our job as non-believers. I usually ask "Well, do you think Aliens are real?" If they say "Yes" I can move on to something else like fairies, dragons, etc. until I get a "No" and then ask them to prove it. Once I see them struggle to find a good reason to not believe I can make it clear why it's not on them to disprove it since there is already no evidence for it. The least a believer can do is read your well thought out response before just repeating themselves.

Very true. I can't remember now who said it, but there is a saying, "You and I are both atheists, you just believe in one more god then I do. When you identify why you dismiss the other gods, you may come to understand why I dismiss yours"...something like that....such a true statement. Love it Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
03-03-2016, 06:00 PM
(01-03-2016 12:47 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  Sorry for the sloppy reply, I'm currently being squished in a packed bus. Never have I hated fat people more than I do right now...:-D

Ever seen a fat man naked?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-03-2016, 06:05 PM
(03-03-2016 06:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 12:47 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  Sorry for the sloppy reply, I'm currently being squished in a packed bus. Never have I hated fat people more than I do right now...:-D

Ever seen a fat man naked?

Only when mom was kissing Santa Claus. The mistletoe was hanging from the end of his beard. His belly apparently is full of jelly, as mom had to spit it out after the long, long kiss.

Lots of good presents that year.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
04-03-2016, 10:30 PM
(26-01-2016 06:56 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Stalking youtube, and I came across this video:

click the video, and the comments, the video isnt worth watching, but the comments are ....

(By the way, my youtube name is ingym4life, and has been my default name since yahoo started up, then google etc...it wasn't until I started my atheist debates that i assumed the Goodwithoutgod moniker, and I use that for every atheist forum I am on.)

So I made a reply hoping the poster would engage....but instead, someone who i assume is a fan of the video maker launched in named TheElya18...and calamity ensued....real face palm stuff, but hilarious...I wont post the 44 replies back and forth here, but just to give you an idea, here are the last 6 replies...

TheElya18 7 hours ago
+ingym4life One second after you die, you won't be laughing. Hell is real.

ingym4life 1 hour ago
+TheElya18 another faith claim...based on zero evidence, and a child like belief in a fabricated fairy tale. An IQ test, and you failed.

TheElya18 40 minutes ago
+ingym4life YOU claim there is no Hell, what do you base THAT on??????? ANSWER. Fourth time I asked. Or is it that you have no answer?
To say, "An IQ test, and you failed." is just childish. How old are you?

ingym4life 20 minutes ago
+TheElya18 hmmm well lets put our thinking caps on...oh wait, you obviously don't have one, here borrow mine. Now, magic doesn't exist outside of fairy tales and fictional books, like for instance harry potter and the bible..the concept of hell, like the concept of god, was created by man. Now the point you missed over and over is he who makes an extraordinary claim, must present evidence. you stating hell exists is an extraordinary claim as, once again, we have zero evidence that transcendental worlds and magic exist, thus it is upon you to prove hell exists. My claim that hell doesn't exist is not an extraordinary claim, it is a common sense assertion based upon the real world we live in. Here, let me try to dumb this concept down for you again...

For example, if I state I have a magical place in my basement where fairies, and unicorns and zombies frolic about while farting miracles that cure cancer....you should state, "no way, prove it"...then it is upon me, who has made the extraordinary claim to prove it. I can't retort with, "Oh yeah? prove my magic basement doesnt exist full of magical creatures...you don't KNOW it doesn't exist, you can't PROVE it doesn't exist, thus that proves it is real"...do you see the fallacy of that childish reply?

If not, then go sit at the kiddy table, where you and the other children can talk about santa claus, the easter bunny, fairies, the great pumpkin, and jesus.

If and when you are ever ready to come back to the adult table, where we discuss the real world, supported by tangible, empirical evidence, then come on back....I wont hold my breath.

TheElya18 15 minutes ago
+ingym4life YOU stated Hell does not exist. HOW do you know?

ingym4life 2 minutes ago
+TheElya18 My goodness, you REALLY are thick aren't you?

You stated hell exists, THAT is the extraordinary claim, thus prove it.

I stated hell doesn't exist, THAT is NOT an extraordinary claim, thus I do not have to prove it.

Get it? Now shoo, back to the kiddy table, hurry the clown is coming out to do balloon animals.....ask for a jesus.

Rolleyes

Shocking

Facepalm

Laugh out load

Flex
Does anyone else get the impression that she is trying to convince herself of her own beliefs with this video? Anyways, she doesn't realize that the Romans passage she quotes contains a glaring contradiction. That which is invisible is clearly seen. If it is clearly seen it's not invisible. Good grief. Do these people think at all?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
05-03-2016, 12:11 AM
The dolt on the vid reminds me of the idiot on the "I'm a christian" thread. Same level of stupidity.

Does one have to be dumb to be a christard or is it optional?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
05-03-2016, 12:21 PM
(05-03-2016 12:11 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  The dolt on the vid reminds me of the idiot on the "I'm a christian" thread. Same level of stupidity.

Does one have to be dumb to be a christard or is it optional?

It's not a requirement, per se, but you'll reach Full Out Religitard status much faster if you're actively moronic.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
05-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Not only do these idiots not realize that their bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of personal identity is based on the untenable position of dualism, they have never even heard of dualism. Or "untenable" for that matter. The stupid itches more than it burns.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post