The stupid....it hurts (ICR article about Dmanisi)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2013, 10:30 AM
RE: The stupid....it hurts (ICR article about Dmanisi)
Hmm, I could probably pull off a cape.....but spandex? No thanks.

Not to toot my own horn, but sometimes I do kind of feel like folks such as Jaguar and myself are on the front line, fighting the good fight. This country needs more freethinker teachers. I feel kind of fortunate in that even here at my rural school, there are at least 3 freethinker teachers in the high school. I know a few other teachers in the area who openly identify as atheist.

The particular student in question has recently started a "Creation Science" club with the apparent sold purpose of trying to get more students to distrust science. He was ready for biology and has apparently been preparing for this for a while. The very first thing he did at the beginning of school was to make sure I knew he was a YEC and then challenge me to a debate. I declined on the basis that it isn't my job to debate him on anything, but to educate him. Unfortunately for him, he happened to land in one of the public school biology classes in the state where biology is taught the way it should be. I fear that is a rarity here. Yes I do have an "Evolution Unit," but evolution underlies every single thing I teach just as it should. It is the unifying framework of everything we know about biology. Needless to say, he must feel assaulted just about every time he comes to class.

It's never a dull moment teaching science in the south....that's for sure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chance's post
12-11-2013, 12:49 PM
(12-11-2013 10:30 AM)Chance Wrote:  Hmm, I could probably pull off a cape.....but spandex? No thanks.

Not to toot my own horn, but sometimes I do kind of feel like folks such as Jaguar and myself are on the front line, fighting the good fight. This country needs more freethinker teachers. I feel kind of fortunate in that even here at my rural school, there are at least 3 freethinker teachers in the high school. I know a few other teachers in the area who openly identify as atheist.

The particular student in question has recently started a "Creation Science" club with the apparent sold purpose of trying to get more students to distrust science. He was ready for biology and has apparently been preparing for this for a while. The very first thing he did at the beginning of school was to make sure I knew he was a YEC and then challenge me to a debate. I declined on the basis that it isn't my job to debate him on anything, but to educate him. Unfortunately for him, he happened to land in one of the public school biology classes in the state where biology is taught the way it should be. I fear that is a rarity here. Yes I do have an "Evolution Unit," but evolution underlies every single thing I teach just as it should. It is the unifying framework of everything we know about biology. Needless to say, he must feel assaulted just about every time he comes to class.

I wish there were more individuals that thought like I did where I teach. It does get lonely, but I do have some students' parents that are amazingly supportive of science, and that is greatly beneficial.

I do think we have a difficult fight, Chance. These kids may only have 1 high school biology class...and that's it! Many will never have a biology class after they walk out of that classroom at the end of the year. We have 1 year to instill as much knowledge as possible, while making science interesting and understandable.

The YECists can poison minds for years upon years.
12-11-2013, 05:43 PM
(12-11-2013 10:30 AM)Chance Wrote:  ...
sometimes I do kind of feel like folks such as Jaguar and myself are on the front line, fighting the good fight.
(12-11-2013 12:49 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ...
We have 1 year to instill as much knowledge as possible

Pah! Call that front line? Luxury.

I'm about to walk into a class of muslim adults.

I have 3 days!

(12-11-2013 10:30 AM)Chance Wrote:  ...
He was ready for biology and has apparently been preparing for this for a while.

Most unthinkers or moderates are turned off by extremists.

I reckon that all you have to do is offer facts and reply to his outbursts with this face: Dodgy

But yes, you two are the hope for the future. Keep on doing what you're doing. Heart

14-11-2013, 08:36 AM
(12-11-2013 12:49 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 10:30 AM)Chance Wrote:  Hmm, I could probably pull off a cape.....but spandex? No thanks.

I wish there were more individuals that thought like I did where I teach. It does get lonely, but I do have some students' parents that are amazingly supportive of science, and that is greatly beneficial.

I do think we have a difficult fight, Chance. These kids may only have 1 high school biology class...and that's it! Many will never have a biology class after they walk out of that classroom at the end of the year. We have 1 year to instill as much knowledge as possible, while making science interesting and understandable.

My high school biology teacher was a really cool guy, but deliberately avoided human evolution, apparently out of fear of offending people. I grew up in rural (farmland) Minnesota, and it's wall-to-wall white Christians out there with the occasional "house of Mexicans." I was a quiet kid then, and remember feeling a little upset by his avoidance of it, which I didn't understand. Even being forced to church every Sunday, I had no problems at all with evolution and I can't think of a time when I ever denied evolution. Once I learned it, I was fine with it--but then, I was always more interested in dinosaurs.

Believe it or not, the idea that people actually don't "believe" in the fact of evolution didn't really set in to me until I got to college and I met my first Creationists (ended up going to school Minnesota's Bible Belt apparently, didn't realize that) which was completely baffling to me. I have never understood how ANYONE could believe in Creationism. I've understood evolution to some capacity since I was very young.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
[+] 1 user Likes Skeptic Gamer's post
14-11-2013, 09:31 AM
(14-11-2013 08:36 AM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 12:49 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  I wish there were more individuals that thought like I did where I teach. It does get lonely, but I do have some students' parents that are amazingly supportive of science, and that is greatly beneficial.

My high school biology teacher was a really cool guy, but deliberately avoided human evolution, apparently out of fear of offending people. I grew up in rural (farmland) Minnesota, and it's wall-to-wall white Christians out there with the occasional "house of Mexicans." I was a quiet kid then, and remember feeling a little upset by his avoidance of it, which I didn't understand. Even being forced to church every Sunday, I had no problems at all with evolution and I can't think of a time when I ever denied evolution. Once I learned it, I was fine with it--but then, I was always more interested in dinosaurs.

Believe it or not, the idea that people actually don't "believe" in the fact of evolution didn't really set in to me until I got to college and I met my first Creationists (ended up going to school Minnesota's Bible Belt apparently, didn't realize that) which was completely baffling to me. I have never understood how ANYONE could believe in Creationism. I've understood evolution to some capacity since I was very young.

I have met several teachers like this--especially here in good ole' Kansas. I, however, love creating controversy, so would never shy away from teaching it.

The negatives about not teaching it are huge. A kid, who may be totally ignorant to how evolution works, goes off into the real world, and is a prime target for these creation 'scientists' with their psuedoscientific claims.