The stupidest arguments against the most potent atheist argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Bug The stupidest arguments against the most potent atheist argument?
I was born to a mildly buddhist family so I was anyway born to an atheist family. But that doesn't stop buddhists from trying to indoctrinate it their wired nonsense like reincarnation. Even though we don't talk about nonsense like gods, we do talk about a lot of the same in many non godly forms.

The most potent argument against them which usually deters them for miles is the argument that they don't have evidence for anything they claim. But there are an increasing number of numnuts who either find offense of that statement or even show that they have some answer to it that should either substitute for evidence or evidence it itself.

The most common ones are like when they say "Not everything needs evidence" or "All religion teaches good". What are some ways to respond to them? and also what are some other ways stupid people try to answer the above unbeliever argument of lack of evidence.

This is not important to me in a personal level because I don't care if they think they won an argument against me or not. Please link me to some articles or other forum posts if possible to answer this.

But it is important for me to deter them more.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Summer's post
13-08-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: The stupidest arguments against the most potent atheist argument?
Show them statistics about atheists being underrepresented in US prisons. That make claim about religions teaching good laughable.

Or just don't bother with sheep. I don't waste time taliking with theists IRL and I can't see downsides of it. It's not my job to educate ignorant and deluded after all.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-08-2017, 12:40 PM
(13-08-2017 10:22 AM)Summer Wrote:  The most common ones are like when they say "Not everything needs evidence" or "All religion teaches good". What are some ways to respond to them? and also what are some other ways stupid people try to answer the above unbeliever argument of lack of evidence.

Ask them to cite one example of something that doesn't require evidence, other than religion. It's just special pleading - they're really saying "Most beliefs need evidence, but this *special* one doesn't, because reasons".

Ask them to name a specific religion that "teaches good". Buddhism might actually come the closest, but what reason is there to adopt any of the wierd beliefs like reincarnation? Why not take the solid, evidence based stuff and forget the rest? Why does one have to swallow a bunch of unevidenced bullshit together with whatever "good" religion teaches?

I will say that in my experience all religion has some common aspects, none of which are positive. Ask them to name specific examples of good things that "all religion" teaches. In my experience common aspects of religion are:
  • not to question authority
  • daring to say things are different to what the priest says is actually *criminal*, never mind just a bad idea
  • Unbelievers are to be feared and hated
  • "Faith" in some dodgy holy scripture of unknown or questionable origin is a foundational principle.
  • Most religions are very anti-science, for the good reason that they fear being proved wrong.

In terms of common ways people try to answer the "no evidence" problem:
  • they make stuff up - literally tell lies.
  • they claim that something which is complete bullshit is "evidence" - like claiming that earthquakes are evidence that God is angry.
  • they cite personal experiences and anecdotes - all the way from "I saw an angel" to "God protected me in the car crash".
  • They try to turn the question back to you - "You can't *disprove* God, so what makes you so confident that He doesn't exist?"
  • They straight up go for feels - "I know in my heart that God exists, the only reason you can't see it is that you are blinded by science/your sin/<insert bullshit reason here>"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
13-08-2017, 12:43 PM
The burden of proof argument is a good place for the atheist to stand.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
13-08-2017, 01:46 PM
How exactly do you decide what does and doesn't need evidence? I guess if you really want something to be true but you have no evidence, then it doesn't need evidence.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
13-08-2017, 02:23 PM
(13-08-2017 01:46 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  How exactly do you decide what does and doesn't need evidence? I guess if you really want something to be true but you have no evidence, then it doesn't need evidence.

> Hitchens' Razor: "That which may be asserted without evidence, may also be dismissed without evidence."
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
13-08-2017, 11:47 PM
(13-08-2017 12:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  Buddhism might actually come the closest, but what reason is there to adopt any of the wierd beliefs like reincarnation? Why not take the solid, evidence based stuff and forget the rest? Why does one have to swallow a bunch of unevidenced bullshit together with whatever "good" religion teaches?

Funny that you have a very sanguine attitude about Buddhism. I would however, encourage you to look into how poor are the average non western buddhist is. And, the buddhist argument as to why they are poor.
14-08-2017, 12:19 AM
(13-08-2017 11:47 PM)Summer Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 12:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  Buddhism might actually come the closest, but what reason is there to adopt any of the wierd beliefs like reincarnation? Why not take the solid, evidence based stuff and forget the rest? Why does one have to swallow a bunch of unevidenced bullshit together with whatever "good" religion teaches?

Funny that you have a very sanguine attitude about Buddhism. I would however, encourage you to look into how poor are the average non western buddhist is. And, the buddhist argument as to why they are poor.

Why don't you tell me? I don't have a particular interest in diving into the details of every religion I come across.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-08-2017, 12:24 AM
(14-08-2017 12:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 11:47 PM)Summer Wrote:  Funny that you have a very sanguine attitude about Buddhism. I would however, encourage you to look into how poor are the average non western buddhist is. And, the buddhist argument as to why they are poor.

Why don't you tell me? I don't have a particular interest in diving into the details of every religion I come across.

Good enough. No one have learn about any religion as they are just mental masturbation. Although I would like to challenge your notion that any religion including buddhism can be at all net good. They are all bad because they have no evidence for anything they claim. By the way, Buddhist explanation for being poor is that you have done something bad in a past life and are condemned to live like you are.
14-08-2017, 12:48 AM
(14-08-2017 12:24 AM)Summer Wrote:  Although I would like to challenge your notion that any religion including buddhism can be at all net good.

I didn't say that and I don't believe it. From the little I've read of Bhuddism, it's almost atheism - the core of it at least. There are even wholly atheistic variants of Bhuddism as far as I understand. In terms of history I think it's a revolutionary set of ideas for its time. But the way it's practiced - priests, dogma, even violence in some places - means that it ends up being bad anyway. I personally think that anything that encourages magical thinking, or adopts extra beliefs not backed by evidence, is probably gonna end up being bad, but of toxic religions I have to say, Bhuddism seems the least toxic to me.